Who REALLY makes what?

THANKS everybody for your contributions. I figured that I'd collate all that we've discussed so far. Also, I found a few more searching around the 'net. But, if you know more, please write them:

CLOTHES: These companies make the items for the following designers:

GIBO: Hussein Chalayan, Alexander McQueen, Marc Jacobs Collection, John Galliano Homme, Viktor&Rolf, Pre-Prada Helmut Lang

STAFF: Martin Margiela, DSquared, Vivienne Westwood (mens), Costume National homme(?)

Vestimenta: Armani Black Label, Ungaro (women's line), Piombo, Trussardi

AEFFE:
Jean-Paul Gaultier, Pollini, Alberta Ferretti (incl. Philosophy), Sinha-Stanic, Basso&Brooks, Narciso Rodriguez, Moschino (some lines)

CIT: Armani Collezioni, Bagutta, Basile, Eley Kishimoto, Baindouche

ITTIERRE:
D&G, Exte, Versace Jeans Couture, Versus, Just Cavalli, CNC, Ferre, Anna Sui

GYSEMANS:
Veronique Branquinho, Raf Simons, Bernhard Wilhelm

SHOES:
Buttero: Dior Homme, Martin Margiela, Number (N)ine
Premiata: Carol Christian Poell

Thanks again!
John

Last edited by a moderator:
GTR: Helmut Lang jeans, Anglomania

some men's suit manufacturers (info relisted from posts at AskAndy's and the StyleForum:(

St. Andrews: Ralph Lauren Purple Label (previously by Chester Barrie)
Belvest: Hermes, Prada (may have switched recently), Burberry (Italian Made)
Zegna: Gianna Versace Couture (currently Alias?), Gucci, Armani Collezioni, Dunhill
Vestimenta: Giorgio Armani (Black Label)
Boglioli: Seize sur Vingt
Hickey Freeman: Burberry (US Made), Karl Lagerfield
Corneliani: Ralph Lauren Black Label
Canali: Lanvin, Faconnable, Gieves & Hawkes

dior homme apparantly manufactures their own suits.

some clothes made in the USA are tagged with a RN number. if you can find it, enter it through this link to find out who manufactured the item.

bump

I heard Marni does production in house.

Don't know if this was posted before. Probably not news to many, but eyewear is made by...

LUXOTTICA: Arnette, Anne Klein, Burberry, Bulgari, Chanel, D&G, Dolce e Gabbana, Miu Miu, Moschino, Persol, Prada, Versace, and Ray-ban.

Does that mean that Ray-ban is the same quality as Chanel sunglasses?

AudiEC said:
Don't know if this was posted before. Probably not news to many, but eyewear is made by...

LUXOTTICA: Arnette, Anne Klein, Burberry, Bulgari, Chanel, D&G, Dolce e Gabbana, Miu Miu, Moschino, Persol, Prada, Versace, and Ray-ban.

Does that mean that Ray-ban is the same quality as Chanel sunglasses?
No, just because it was made by the same manufacturer doesn't mean it's the same quality. Coach's sunglasses were made by Marchon, who also make Gucci's, and Gucci's sunglasses were beyond nicer than thiers. Also I have a pair of D&G sunglasses that are such sh*t, you can tell Chanel's are much nicer.

I can use Coach as an example again; Banana Republic, Dooney & Bourke and Coach (possibly more brands, I dont know) are all manufactured by the same company, it's disputeable but I would say that Coach is definately nicer that Dooney and relatively nicer than Banana (for the price point, Banana has Coach beat). I dont know who makes Coach's bags, I want to say Sumitomo...It's a name I heard thrown around alot and didn't bother to ask...

ITERRIERE s.p.a. did used to do d&g but not anymore.

prada owned companies shoes are usually made in the uk by churches another prada owned company.

staff int produce dsquared , mmm , vivienne westwood , deisel ect but only the clothing all accs and footwear are done by different companies, and sometimes they contract out to other companies aswell this is why some peices in a collection look over priced as there is another mark up on top.

Diorling said:
No, just because it was made by the same manufacturer doesn't mean it's the same quality. Coach's sunglasses were made by Marchon, who also make Gucci's, and Gucci's sunglasses were beyond nicer than thiers. Also I have a pair of D&G sunglasses that are such sh*t, you can tell Chanel's are much nicer.

I can use Coach as an example again; Banana Republic, Dooney & Bourke and Coach (possibly more brands, I dont know) are all manufactured by the same company, it's disputeable but I would say that Coach is definately nicer that Dooney and relatively nicer than Banana (for the price point, Banana has Coach beat). I dont know who makes Coach's bags, I want to say Sumitomo...It's a name I heard thrown around alot and didn't bother to ask...

How/why does the quality change?
They just pay for cheaper raw materials?

The House of Massaro does the shoes for Chanel haute couture collection since Coco Chanel days.:wink:

Thought Cantarelli was making suits for Prada as well, or is that already old news? I have heard from a sales representative that the suits of Dior Homme are being manufactured in the same factory where Baldessarini suits are being made. So does this mean that Dior Homme doesn;t have its own production facility?

Moda Tim in Romania manufactures suits and separate sportjackets/trousers for Dries van Noten

I am very curious where and by which manufacturer the Kris van Assche items are being made. I own several pieces, but in none of them there is a "Made in" tag attached. Can anybody explain this to me (is it because it has been maufactured in Belgium?) and maybe give me an answer on the issue that I have.

Regards,

Divo

Divo said:
I am very curious where and by which manufacturer the Kris van Assche items are being made. I own several pieces, but in none of them there is a "Made in" tag attached. Can anybody explain this to me (is it because it has been maufactured in Belgium?) and maybe give me an answer on the issue that I have.

Regards,

Divo

Good question. I wonder if that's illegal. I thought they had to put the country of manufacture by law? :huh:

this info is GOLD! literally pearls of wisdom!

*salivates expecting more info*

Blackalicious said:
i just wonder who produces the CDG brands & yamamoto certainly have their work cut out every season :rolleyes:
:woot: That's for sure!

faust said:
Good question. I wonder if that's illegal. I thought they had to put the country of manufacture by law? :huh:
Not necessarily. Each country has different standards when it comes to garment labels. Afaik, country-of-manufacture labels are not explicitly required throughout most of the EU (although they're encouraged, of course).

rach2jlc said:
Vestimenta: Armani Black Label, Ungaro (women's line), Piombo, Trussardi

:shock: oh i can't believe a couture house like Emanuel Ungaro has to rely its women's line on some other production house. why?!

amor said:
:shock: oh i can't believe a couture house like Emanuel Ungaro has to rely its women's line on some other production house. why?!

What makes you think they make Ungaro couture?

Droogist, thanks for the tip!

faust said:

they do if it is to be sold in the U.S.

Mutterlein said:
they do if it is to be sold in the U.S.

KVA clothes sold in Barneys/Saks have no such tags. Let's bust them! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"