Who REALLY makes what?

rach2jlc

Reaction score
I did a search and came up with nothing conclusive, so if there is already a thread on this, mods, feel free to merge.

One thing about fashion that interests me is seeing exactly WHERE and by WHOM designer items are made. I don't mean location (as in "made in Italy, made in China") but by which COMPANY or by which OTHER BRAND. For example, even though we might be wearing a suit that says "Louis Vuitton" or sneakers that say "Hermes", we are actually wearing items made by other companies, Belvest and Santoni (respectively). There are TONS of items like these and I'm interested in knowing where they come from.

For example, which companies REALLY make the shoes/accessories/suits/etc. for other brands like Gucci, Hermes, Dior/ Dior homme, YSL Rive Gauche, Vuitton, Prada, etc.?

I suppose it is useless knowledge, on the one hand, but I've always thought it interesting to find out all there is to know on our designer items...

So, list anything that you know, I'd be interested to learn about it...

Thanks,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
We do have a thread like this, but I don't remember the title :(

rach2jlc said:
:lol: LOL... Oh, gee, thanks Faust... that helps me a lot. :flower:

John

:lol: Sorry. Maybe someone else remembers?

I think the Italian biggies are ITERRIERE (SP?), GIBO AND GILMAUR (SP?).

ITERRIERE does a ton of diffusion lines, like D&G, Versace Jeans, Just Cavalli (I think), C'N'C (I think).

GIBO does Gaultier, don't know who else.

GILMAUR does Iceberg and Anna Sui (don't know who else).

If anyone has more input or corrections, jump in :flower:

Kit would've been so helpful here. He had an amazing knowledge base :cry:

Faust--you are correct about IT....they also do Ferre, both mainline and Ferre Jeans (or whatever they call it now)......last I heard though Dolce was taking back D&G....but that might have been for distribution purposes

Aeffe does Gaultier now....as well as Pollini, Alberta Ferretti (including Philosophy)....and more that I don't know

Gilmaur does Anna Sui?...didn't know...thought she was handled in US.....they also do Block 60 which is much more of a contemporary

of course I could just be thinking about distribution and not manufacturing...............:innocent:

purechris said:
Faust--you are correct about IT....they also do Ferre, both mainline and Ferre Jeans (or whatever they call it now)......last I heard though Dolce was taking back D&G....but that might have been for distribution purposes

Aeffe does Gaultier now....as well as Pollini, Alberta Ferretti (including Philosophy)....and more that I don't know

Gilmaur does Anna Sui?...didn't know...thought she was handled in US.....they also do Block 60 which is much more of a contemporary

of course I could just be thinking about distribution and not manufacturing...............:innocent:

You know, I think they might be doing Anna Sui Jeans (betcha never heard of that one :wink: ).

Aeffe, that's right, I knew I got something wrong! :doh:

Gibo does Alexander McQueen, Viktor & Rolf, Hussein Chalayan, and probably a lot more...they did Helmut Lang in the pre-Prada days, too.

faust said:
We do have a thread like this, but I don't remember the title :(
I seem to remember that too...but maybe it was more of a "who owns who" thread?

^yes, i think it was about owning... fashion conglomerates??

ITERRIERE s.p.a. are responsible for all those big house names like Versace and D&G like Faust mentioned for certain...States it inside a versace zip up i have :smile:

I think they may be responsible for Stone Island and CP Company too...

Is that the Gibo that has their own label Gibo?..........

Don't Victor & Rolf and Hussein fall under the Onward (Kashiyama) brand.....Via Bus Stop? Who also used to produce for Michael Kors

......or again, am I confusing manufacturing with distribution.....somebody correct me if necessary.....

Faust--Anna Sui jeans.......:ninja: never heard of them.....her production is CRAP!!! I fought with them for 2 seasons over it.....

You know, Faust, as I was typing the first message I thought of how much Kit would have been helpful on this thread. He knew so much of the "ins and outs" of great brands.

If Gibo does Hussein Chalayan, then I believe that they also do Marc Jacobs collection and Galliano (at least Galliano homme)... because the inside tags are identical.

I'm really interested in knowing who makes the shoes for Dior Homme and for Prada's men's collections (not the sneakers, but the leather soled boots and shoes)?

John

purechris said:
Is that the Gibo that has their own label Gibo?..........

Don't Victor & Rolf and Hussein fall under the Onward (Kashiyama) brand.....Via Bus Stop? Who also used to produce for Michael Kors

......or again, am I confusing manufacturing with distribution.....somebody correct me if necessary.....
Yes, Gibo the label was owned by Gibo the manufacturer.

And I believe Onward owns Gibo.

Gibo just sold did they not? Or are they stopping production? Can't remember but something just happened with them. I find it fascinating to know who actually manufacturse what....and does being produced by the same manufacturers mean the same quality? How much input do the manufacturers versus designers have? All very interesting

Anna Karina,

It seems to me that who OWNS who (fashion conglomerates) and who MAKES who are two separate things. Gibo makes the clothes for Marc Jacobs, but they don't own them. Just my two cents, so feel free to merge if necessary.

John

i agree that it's two different things
but then please try to talk about 'who makes what' here only:flower:

Runner mentioned in another thread that an Italian shoemaker Buttero makes Dior Homme shoes.

I also remember that Cesare Paciotti used to design (maybe still does?) Versace shoes, but I'm not sure if he has his own manufacturing facilites or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->