Small Designers

Erzébeth

Reaction score
hope this is the right forum.. :blush:
I am wondering how many small designers stay afloat when they compete against giants with unlimited capital. those who don't have rich backers need to set higher prices, right? but does it deter customers?

it seems to be a bit of a catch 22 situation, if you go commercial, you can't compete with the prices of big companies, if you go into a niche, you won't sell enough?

:unsure: i'd really love to start a small business but I don't want to invest time and money only to have it keel over and die :doh:

The truth is; not always the big fish eat the little fish but the fast one always beat the slow ones. As long as you work fast and your designs are unique, original and *affordable*, you will survive. Designing is one thing and marketing's another. You should design to sell, otherwise you have to design only for yourself. I know a bunch of very talented designers who don't have an idea how to market their garments. They get tired and bored after a while and finally give up.. Most of them are too lazy anyway. You need to go commercial and believe me you can compete with anyone these days. So go for it! But I repeat, you should design to sell and think of possible retail or wholesale spots (or corners) before you start :flower:

of course its not an easy path erze, still it worth giving it a try, staying local for starts while also trying the web for sales.
the new trend favours original indie designers , since people with money are getting seriously bored with the 'uniformity' of huge lux brands , there is hope.
you can also try your hand at sponsoring and create from there.
i strongly advise to 'invest' only a limited amount of personal/family money on your project for starts and then go from there.
good luck and yes, go for it :flower:

thanks lena.. your posts give me hope. :smile:
hope I didn't come off sounding bitter there B)

another trick is to start small ie try and use as little capital as you can but tyy and reach as many people as you can.family and friends and even neighbours are a good start
if yr work is good then they ll spread the word to pple who ll spread the word............

ahh great advice. i have been working on my own shoe collection and it is murder to the wallet :cry: but i still have hope have fun and lots of blessings :flower:

Another trick some use to start is to find a product you like - take the labels off and put your name on it, which reduces up front production costs, you can get a foot in the door with a good product then take the money you make and reinvest it in your own designs.

Originally posted by Oria@Feb 18th, 2004 - 1:19 pm
ahh great advice. i have been working on my own shoe collection and it is murder to the wallet :cry: but i still have hope have fun and lots of blessings :flower:
Making shoes can be crazy expensive. :wacko:

Originally posted by luna+Feb 19th, 2004 - 2:37 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luna @ Feb 19th, 2004 - 2:37 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Oria@Feb 18th, 2004 - 1:19 pm
Making shoes can be crazy expensive. :wacko: [/b][/quote]
yes I know I do it for a living, but I've gained enough experience and contacts that I'm ready and so far I haven't run into any financial issues but its expensive regardless. I've created a business plan and I am following it to the letter as my mentor says. I also have a small clientele of women and men who I've done custom work for. I think it is very important for new designers of any kind to gain experience and really learn the business of fashion. I dream big but I believe in being humble and knowing that my ultimate goal won't happen over night but over time. I also believe in quality over quantity. I love what I do and hopefully that will show in my work. B)

all the luck oria!tap that market i think what is most important is the interest in it!

Originally posted by eguana@Feb 19th, 2004 - 3:49 pm
all the luck oria!tap that market i think what is most important is the interest in it!
muito obrigada! I am tapping it :lol: very hard if I may say so myself. haha! beijos :kiss:

Originally posted by micouture@Feb 19th, 2004 - 9:06 pm
Another trick some use to start is to find a product you like - take the labels off and put your name on it, which reduces up front production costs, you can get a foot in the door with a good product then take the money you make and reinvest it in your own designs.
:shock: what a cheat,
i honestly dont advice anyone who takes his/herself seriously to work this way,
it wont get you far :rolleyes:

oria, i certainly want to see your work :flower:

be patient and dont give up :heart:

Originally posted by Lena@Feb 19th, 2004 - 3:58 pm
oria, i certainly want to see your work :flower:

be patient and dont give up :heart:
:heart: obrigada Lena, and I will coming from you and equana two posters I respect immensely it means so much. I will post my work very soon, I have built up enough courage. :flower:

and I agree don't remove labels and add your name no offense but I see that as stealing and laziness.

Well thats life - look at any popular product and if you think they invented it you would be wrong in most cases. There are many people who develop great products but have no idea how to push them into market correctly. Bill gates is a prime example. DOS was stolen and so was win windows. Most often the poeople at the top are the ones who know how to take advantage of oppertunities. Many companies will allow you to cut the labels off or to white label thier product in which they put your name on it for a fee, its just an option.

you are mixing up fashion marketing with fashion design micouture.

this topic is about Small Designers trying to make it happen,
nothing to do with how tomake a quick and easy cheat buck
with products designed/manufactured by someone else :P

Originally posted by Lena+Feb 19th, 2004 - 3:57 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Feb 19th, 2004 - 3:57 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-micouture@Feb 19th, 2004 - 9:06 pm
:shock: what a cheat,
i honestly dont advice anyone who takes his/herself seriously to work this way,
it wont get you far :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
Actually almost every designer working in fashion now is "stealing" or borrowing ideas from other designers now or in another time. No one is born with an original idea and if you can take someones idea and make it better or more successful through your own endevors you should. If you take yourself too seriously you should become a monk and not get into fashion at all since fashion is not a serious business to begin with. Its all smoke and mirrors. Take any product and think about what you are actually paying for ....99% of it is BS and 1% is the actual product. A fool is born everday and some people make a fortune from that.

excuse me but you have it all wrong,
i work in fashion business for years and take it from me
its a VERY serious business, not 'all smoke and mirrors'

and i'm certainly not a monk :P

as for untalented people that need to copy/borrow in order
to cheat and make a buck, yes, it happens but its not the norm,
neither it is something to look up too.
those are just untalented losers, not fashion designers

Originally posted by Lena@Feb 19th, 2004 - 5:16 pm
you are mixing up fashion marketing with fashion design micouture.

this topic is about Small Designers trying to make it happen,
nothing to do with how tomake a quick and easy cheat buck
with products designed/manufactured by someone else :P
What big designer today makes thier own fabric and sews thier own clothes? None. They hire cheap labor and buy premade fabrics and some existing peices and take it and mesh it all together. Being a succesful designer is as much about business and marketing today as it is about actual design. And if you think you can design and not consider your market or ways to make money then you will be selling your clothing only to your friends. Fashion is a commercial art and has to take into consideration the market and the consumer. If the consumer wants a good product at a good price there are many ways to achive this. One way is to make it from scratch, another is to find existing products and make them your own. There is no formula for success and no sure way to make it to the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->