St. John signs Angelina Jolie

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
from today's wwd...i thought they were planning on using gisele for a while...

Following the surprising replacement this fall of longtime campaign model and founding daughter Kelly Gray with supermodel Gisele Bündchen, the St. John knitwear brand is said to have signed on statuesque superstar, U.N. ambassador and tabloid favorite Angelina Jolie for its 2006 run.

The move — which the Irvine, Calif.-based fashion house is expected to announce in a press conference this week — is only the latest in chief executive officer Richard Cohen's dramatic remake of St. John.

In a prescient sign, the Mario Testino-shot fall campaign featured Bündchen as a star "on set," surrounded by several beefy extras in costume. It was a nod to the past campaign with Gray and her constant cadre of boy toys and now, it appears, the future.

The din that the 30-year-old Jolie would be Bündchen's successor, as WWD reported this summer, has been intensifying recently. But Cohen and St. John representatives declined to comment whether any A-list star would step into the role.

The red carpet, of course, tops the list of any successful fashion brand marketing program. And despite efforts even before Cohen's arrival, such a moment at an awards show or even lowly film premier long eluded St. John.

Off the record, many Hollywood stylists insisted the house would need to shake off its musty image as the practical source for political power women and Ladies Who Lunch before they would consider showing the clothes to their celebrity clients.

Given Jolie's image, the choice will present St. John in a striking new light. Very few in the congested celebrity landscape can claim a glamour — and cool — quotient like Jolie's.

Attracting a wider and younger clientele base, and thereby upping its appeal and sales, has motivated the changes at St. John.

Although it remains one of the best-selling brands at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue, with a cult following for its crease-free knit suits and gowns, profits have tipped in recent years.

Say it isn't so...I love Angelina but enough with the actresses taking over the model's world.

St.John is american right ? I've wondered for quiet some time whats the deal with this brand..I look at their ads..and think to myself "Whats wrong with this picture..? Who would wear this stuff?" I have no idea where to place this..is it equal to Escada in the states ? How high up on the fashion ladder is this stuff?

I thought this was going to be about the celebrity-disciple five-aside team :shock:

i have similar questions, hanne.....
i've never quite understood the st john label......the ads always made the product look very 'cheap' to me.....

i love angelina.......i'm not sure how i feel about this collaboration....but perhaps her image will be just what they need to make a switch to something a little more substantial and less 'tacky'.....

I don't know much about St. John, but I recently acquired a couple of pieces at a second hand shop and it IS really well made knit wear. I never would have thought a knit skirt could be flattering, but it really is! Ironically, I wore it yesterday :P Will be posting a pic in "What are you wearing?" soon...

I totally agree that their image is stagnant and it does sort of remind me of Escada, Hanne. I'd be really interested to see how they incorporate Angelina if this comes through. Have the Gisele ads been published yet?

Angelina - new face of St John Knits?

[url="http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2005/09/new_york_fashio_8.html"]http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2005/09/new_york_fashio_8.html[/url]

The Southern California knit company known for prim, proper suits is expected to announce that Angelina Jolie will be its new spokeswoman and celebrity model at noon today at the New York Public Library.
It seems like an unlikely fit for the edgy actress and the label, but in the last few years, St. John has been updating its image, making it more youthful and fashion foward. Earlier this year, supermodel Gisele Bundchen was named as a rep of the brand, too.

Don't do it Ange! You're not tacky enough like Gisele for this!

Last edited by a moderator:
According to WWD, she may be given a stake in the company and a seat on its board.

Part of the WWD article:

NEW YORK — St. John has landed Angelina Jolie at last.

The Irvine, Calif.-based company will announce a multimillion-dollar deal with the 30-year-old actress at a press conference at noon today at the New York Public Library — smack around the corner from the fashion week tents of Bryant Park. The announcement will confirm a report in Tuesday's WWD.

And if that doesn't create enough hubbub, ad executives said the deal could raise the stakes for actresses appearing in fashion ad campaigns. Speculation raged Wednesday over how much Jolie will receive from the deal, with amounts stretching up to $12 million for a multiyear agreement. Some sources also claim she may be given a stake in the company and a seat on its board. The deal was reportedly struck by Jolie's agency, CAA, and Starworks, which worked on behalf of St. John.

The agreement also could be structured the way actors negotiate deals with movies, giving Jolie a percentage of St. John's revenues, which last year totaled $395.6 million. There also could be a contribution made by St. John to Jolie's various charitable endeavors.
As part of her deal, Jolie, who is more often seen in body-revealing designs by Versace and Dolce & Gabbana, may be under contract to turn out in St. John in all public appearances, particularly those on the red carpet.

Let me repost my earlier reply from Fashion Daily:

According to WWD, she may be given a stake in the company and a seat on its board.

Part of the WWD article:

NEW YORK — St. John has landed Angelina Jolie at last.

The Irvine, Calif.-based company will announce a multimillion-dollar deal with the 30-year-old actress at a press conference at noon today at the New York Public Library — smack around the corner from the fashion week tents of Bryant Park. The announcement will confirm a report in Tuesday's WWD.

And if that doesn't create enough hubbub, ad executives said the deal could raise the stakes for actresses appearing in fashion ad campaigns. Speculation raged Wednesday over how much Jolie will receive from the deal, with amounts stretching up to $12 million for a multiyear agreement. Some sources also claim she may be given a stake in the company and a seat on its board. The deal was reportedly struck by Jolie's agency, CAA, and Starworks, which worked on behalf of St. John.

The agreement also could be structured the way actors negotiate deals with movies, giving Jolie a percentage of St. John's revenues, which last year totaled $395.6 million. There also could be a contribution made by St. John to Jolie's various charitable endeavors.
As part of her deal, Jolie, who is more often seen in body-revealing designs by Versace and Dolce & Gabbana, may be under contract to turn out in St. John in all public appearances, particularly those on the red carpet.

LoveLetter said:

^:shock:

I just don't see her as the St. John type...She'd easily appear 15 years older to me.

While I'm more than glad that Gisele will not be continuing with her St. John role, I'm fearing that models will become a thing of the past when it comes to advertisements. Think about it, St. John, Louis Vuitton, Versace... we'll see what happens next, but I'm not feeling too confident about models in ads anymore.

I've always thought of St. John as being very matronly - maybe she will change their image...?

eek, now everyone will be on to them and prices will go up! :o

i have always loved st john. a lot of the stuff is definitely very matronly (i'm in my 20's), but as was said, their knit skirts fit so beautifully.. and the fitted knit dresses? i love them. the quality is superb. i love beautiful knits.

that white dress that gisele is wearing is so me! :heart:

and i think angelina will be perfect. she has that sophisticated look that they go for, but with a modern, sexy edge that i think they're trying to portray.

wow they moved pretty quickly from gisele to angelina. i didn't even ever see any of the gisele ads besides online.

my mother is a big st. john's fan... not so much me but it sounds like they are moving in a new direction... i'm looking forward to see angelina in the ads though - she's such a looker :brows:

St. John And Angelina Jolie.

St. John Forms New Partnership With Angelina Jolie
Thursday September 15, 2:39 pm ET

NEW YORK, Sept. 15 /PRNewswire/ -- Luxury apparel label St. John has announced today a partnership with Hollywood actress Angelina Jolie. This new venture will position Angelina Jolie as both the face of St. John the brand, as well as the voice behind its newly formed charity created in support of children's issues and causes.

Angelina Jolie embodies so many qualities of what St. John represents. She is strong, independent and dynamic. She's a mother, actress and a philanthropist," said Richard Cohen, CEO of St. John. "With this partnership we hope to mark another exciting step towards making St. John the ultimate American luxury brand. We are proud to have her on board."

St. John's new advertising campaign, to launch in Spring 2006 publications, will be shot by famed photographer Mario Testino, with creative direction David Lipman of Lipman agency which is spearheading in concert with Richard Cohen, St. John's repositioning in the luxury brand market. The ad campaign's creative direction will take inspiration from the company's native California and will evoke a mood synonymous with effortless, Hollywood glamour.

"Angelina Jolie truly represents what St. John is today and what it will be in the future," said David Lipman, Creative Director of Lipman. "Whether you see her on the red carpet, lobbying in Washington or with her children, she always exudes the elegance and classic glamour that is St. John."

"I am a working mother who has set goals to accomplish a lot in this world. I want my wardrobe to be beautiful, sexy and comfortable -- all at the same time. St. John is all of those things," said Angelina Jolie. "St. John has always been worn by strong and independent women who truly appreciate the quality that St. John offers. I am happy to be a part of that tradition and more importantly part of taking that tradition into the future."

St. John's partnership with Angelina Jolie will extend beyond just having her star in the ad campaigns. A philanthropic organization will be formed benefiting children's causes.

St. John
Founded in 1962, St. John has expanded beyond its origin of a small family operation to the global American luxury brand known today. The company, headquartered in Irvine, California now employs more than 4,000 people and operates dozens of offices and manufacturing facilities worldwide. Its three fashion collections are sold by top specialty stores in 28 countries and 32 company-owned retail boutiques. St. John is today as it has always been, a carefully managed company, maintaining consistency of product through the administration of all stages throughout the design and manufacturing process.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050915/nyth158.html?.v=18

Hipkitten said:
I've always thought of St. John as being very matronly - maybe she will change their image...?
Or they will change her image... :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gxsd
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->