Stage:hedi's New Book

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
with a little help from Herr Karl :wink: here comes Hedi's rock "Stage" unfortunately no photos to post.. yet ...

Hedi’s Concert Tour

PARIS — A glowing microphone; a forbidding gridlock of lighting equipment; a small forest of outstretched hands.

That’s how Hedi Slimane envisions the rituals of rock concerts in his latest photography book, “Stage,” published next month by Steidl and Karl Lagerfeld’s 7L imprint.
“It’s very much about the rapport of the public with the rock star,” Slimane explained in an exclusive interview. “It’s always the same process. It’s almost liturgical, like a religion. It’s truly a rock convention. The whole thing is totally scripted.”
Over the past three years, Slimane was granted unprecedented access to some of the rock world’s giants along with some unsung heroes, attending concerts by the Rolling Stones, Radiohead the The White Stripes and Phoenix, among others.

Ostensibly, he was often there to dress musicians in Dior Homme — but it afforded him a rare glimpse of the “humanity and vulnerability” of the stars, some of whom escape immediately after each show in “getaway cars,” others who shelter teddy bears and other toys backstage.

“There is this transformation from backstage to the stage. To dress them is very interesting, because part of the transformation process is the clothes. It’s like a screen,” Slimane explained. “What is interesting is that I never saw anybody feeling very confident before going on stage. They’re just as excited and nervous as the crowd itself.”
Surprisingly, the musicians rarely appear in the black-and-white pictures, which are all in wide-screen format, like landscapes. Of course, even in the dark, David Bowie, his hair silhouetted by a penumbra of stage lighting, is unmistakable.

But Slimane chose to train his lens mostly on the tools used to create the rock mythology: Monolithic speakers, acres of mixing boards, rivers of grimy electrical cables and banks of guitars dominate the 196 pages. As with his first photo book, “Berlin,” many of the images are stark and graphic — almost architectural. But some are affecting and oddly poetic: a bouquet of roses tossed on Debbie Harry’s sound monitor; a box of “Vocalzone” throat lozenges next to a wristwatch and a cup of tea.

Not that people were of no interest. Slimane said he took so many pictures of fans he could have devoted a whole book to them. Certainly, the designer could draw a direct line between the style on stage and in the audience.

“Music is definitely leading fashion,” he said. “I think it has an incredible influence, especially for men’s wear.”
Many people still associate Slimane with electronic music, often the soundtrack for Dior Homme fashion shows and boutiques. But he recently lost interest in that genre — save for artists like Air — in favor of the more performance-driven rock scene.
“There’s so much truth to it,” he said, listing Franz Ferdinand, The Libertines and The White Stripes among recent favorites. “It’s a more direct approach with bands. I’m attracted to it in the same way that I’m more interested in drawing than computer-generated images. Imperfection is really interesting to me now.”

from wwd :flower:

hmm...imperfection is very interesting to me too...i love to see the hand of the artist...i love raw edges...and crumbling buildings...rock has such a raw edge to it...i can really see what hedi means...i wonder what he's like to talk to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->