Steven Meisel - Photographer

Many thanks for all the great photos

Does anyone know if they use a special film to create these colours?
-Some are monochrome, in sepia
-And then there is this one where it is completely black and white but it is so lightened.. It only shows up to medium grey, no deep blacks
-And in post #1070, some photos have a blue tinge while others an orange; and the one with Karen Elson in the fuschia dress, only that and two other colours are enhanced, everything else somewhat subdued

Does anyone know if it's due to the film or photographers use some sort of chemical to manipulate the colours?

with the black & white images, the different "colours"/tones will be down to toning the prints in the darkroom (at least ones from 1994 will be), with the more recent colour photographs it's hard to say because they might have been post processed & enhanced colour-wise in graphics editing software, but with the images from "A Sexual Revolution" i'd be more likely to say that it's down to on-set lighting/light gels & possibly lens filters. i don't think they're cross processed or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the quick response! Oh I just learned about cross processing... for a Holga camera. But only to saturate the colours, not subdue

I guess toning the prints, it works the same for the sepia ones up there (reading from your link). I am asking because I'd love to know how to make photos lighter also

Maybe the drawback to photography nowadays is you can't trust whether it is made digitally or not.. It is just interesting to me if it's done by hand, because a computer can do a lot of things easily...

Maybe the drawback to photography nowadays is you can't trust whether it is made digitally or not.. It is just interesting to me if it's done by hand, because a computer can do a lot of things easily...

this is a bit off topic, but to me post processing digitally really isn't (in nature) any different than a photographer manipulating a print during exposure or chemically toning. for sure you can't get quite the same look in digital post processing as say toning chemically with selenium, or some other toner, & there is a lot to be said for traditional photographic processes, but in essence there's no difference. image manipulation is image manipulation, & it's not something that's new to the "digital age". it's standard in fine art photography. it's weird to me that with digital photography/post-processing, image manipulation is almost seen by some as "cheating".

anyway, er, i'll shut up & get off my soapbox now :wink: :P

actually you are totally right in that case :smile: i should have added i also really like just the 'surprise' and spontaneity of ,especially pinhole and lomography ^^ it's when i manipulate it with the chemicals or whatever means and i still don't have that control a computer gives. it still becomes a surprise in the end. i might make a mistake, i can't alter for example. but you just have to press ctrl-z on Photoshop lol. anyway even traditionally developed b&w photos, with added watercolour pigments on top, it doesn't give me a sense of appeal either so it always depends

back on topic then// :argg:

DSquared2 spring/summer 2009
Photographer: Steven Meisel
Models: Naomi Campbell and Linda Evangelista

DSquared2SS09_V_22jan09_PR_b.jpg

vogue.co.uk

Thank you testinofan!:heart:
Is there anything from the 80's?If not,what is the oldest editorial?:flower:
Is this ed part of what you got?
VOIt0198_00.jpg

iconography

I would like to see if possible, the ed from this cover:
VOIt200302_02.jpg

fashion-iconography.net

Thank you very much!^_^

^If I'm not mistaken there is no ed for that cover :(

Yes thic cover no have ed but have the image of the cover clean

Calvin Klein Campaign is so sexy :brows:
I haven't seen Meisel that sexual for a while. It's as good as Natalia's.

^Except for that recent V editorial right?:lol:.Not gonna lie,i hated that one.

^ I thought about that V ed too (which I hated too.).
But at least people were wearing more clothes :innocent:

:lol: good to know,i didn't pay much attention to it .

Wow did he direct that CK commercial? I love his photos of Kate Winslet

I loved that editorial with Sophia,thank you.The first one was a Vogue Italia cover,the second pic was in Vogue US,does anybody know about the third?
I think Sofia had a little spread inside with few more shots of her.:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->