Straightening / Flat Irons

I used to straighten my sister's hair with a regular iron :lol: she lies down on the floor and I put a sheet of paper on top of her flat brushed hair, and I press the iron over it... its cheap and it works... of course, not all of you have a gay brother to do it for you :lol: :rofl:

my friend used GHD straighteners on my hair for a party......and they make it dramatically different

i would definately recommend GHD straightners to anyone

Originally posted by Alejandro@Nov 17th, 2003 - 2:24 pm
I used to straighten my sister's hair with a regular iron :lol: she lies down on the floor and I put a sheet of paper on top of her flat brushed hair, and I press the iron over it... its cheap and it works... of course, not all of you have a gay brother to do it for you :lol: :rofl:
Now I wish I had a guy brother to do it for me! B)

Hello I need help!! I have thick hair Afro Type hair and I need everones Best opinoin on the Iron I should choose. I would like to Stye and Straighten my hair, but it's thick Afro Caribbean type hair w/color.
Could you please give me suggestions on the CHI or GHB Ceramic Irons??
Also a good moisterizer heat protectant too... :flower: :flower: :flower:

Thank You! :flower:

nicky20033

nicky20033, hey I have the same type of hair. Anyway, I really like the chi flat iron. I usually wash and deep condition my hair, however instead of blow drying I air dry it so that it doesnt dry out. Then I apply skin moisturizer, just a tad bit to my hair and it truly works magic. Don't know what it is about skin moisturizers, I guess since its created for your face its not harsh and doesn't way down the hair. After its air dried I part my hair into 4 sections, then flat iron each section piece by piece. Hope that helps!

Thanks for responding fashionbug :wink: , Oh I don't have a perm either , do you?? I hope others will reply too. Thank You

nicky20033 :flower:

Nicky2003,

My hairstylist recommends the CHI ceramic straightening iron. Mind you, my hair isn't "Afro" hair, it is rather thick and very hard to manage. I notice that I get best results when we blow dry it straight, put protective oil in it, then iron it down.

And, I, like you, have naturally curly hair. It's not a perm.

Originally posted by nicky20033@Dec 6th, 2003 - 12:10 am
Thanks for responding fashionbug :wink: , Oh I don't have a perm either , do you?? I hope others will reply too. Thank You

nicky20033 :flower:
Actually, my hair is not permed. It is naturally curly, however because it is on the thinner side it's much easier for me to manage. It's almost impossible to keep my hair from not frizzing in Los Angeles because of the midst from the ocean. However if you are somewhere that does not have that problem you should be fine.

I use the Chi as well as several of my friends who are platform artists.

-Use Sebastian Smoothing Groomer
-Mix with a little Farouk silk
-Put ismoothing t into the hair when damp and blow dry
-when the hair is dry put a little Smoothing Groomer into each section before you straighten. The smaller the section the better the results you will acheieve.
-Go slow the cuticle layer needs to be laid down. Go slow even to the very ends

All salon products are very concentrated go easy on the amount do a little first and add more as needed. your hair should feel like silk.

I use the Unil ceramic flat irom...I got it on Ebay for 67.00. It is made in the same factory as the Chi and is exactly the same only less expensive.

i love my sapphire works great, the Chi ceramic ones are also really good, supposed to not be as bad for ur hair, also hot tools is a really good one thats a fraction of the price.

My mom used to do that back when she was a mod! B)

I've bought a GHD ceramic iron and I absolutely love it. I think that as long as you use a heat protector before (I use GHD oil) and condition very well after each shampoo, your hair should be fine.

Btw I am new here! :clap:

Hey Alex! My dad is not gay and he used to do that with my mom who had hair uo to her waist whenthey were going out!!! LOL

But he was a man in love...LOL

Sofia

Originally posted by karen k+Oct 29th, 2003 - 1:11 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(karen k @ Oct 29th, 2003 - 1:11 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-MissFire@Mar 13th, 2003 - 12:29 pm
i use the Chi Ceramic iron. my hair is pretty thick too. and it makes it so smooth and straight. love it
i agree, Chi is great. i love the way it staightens my hair, not like the other straightening irons that damage hair and cause split ends. there's no tugging and going back over the same piece just to get it staight. [/b][/quote]
My hairdresser uses a Chi which I love...I bought a Unil it is exactly like the Chi but less expensive. I use it every 2-3 days and my hair is not damaged. I use Biosilk before I straighten it.

I straighten my hair about two times a week and I've used a couple different types of straightening irons but I find that the products you use make a lot more of a difference than the actual type of Iron, I'm currently using citre shine get straight straightening balm and think it works almost as well as some other more expensive brands.

My mother also ironed her hair when she was younger. She never told me about the piece of paper part so I am thrilled that I never tried this on my own as I probably would have burned my hair off! :o

Any ceramic plated iron will work well- CHI is an excellent one. Get a thinner one (3/4 of an inch, or 1 inch) if you would like to be able to straighten close to the scalp and a wider one if your hair is very long.

It is very important to not linger the iron on your hair too long and to comb along the section of the hair before running an iron through (otherwise you can get stuck on a section- or have uneven results) even if you are using a better iron (ie ceramic).

Definately use a ceramic one. Especially if your hair is treated in any way. Metal straighteners are damaging to processed hair. And I highly recommend Biosilk products. They're a little pricey but worth the money. I swear by them.

Was jus wondering if there's any good straightner u recommend?
And how is a ceramic straightner any diffrent frm the rest? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• c.JPG
    c.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
triplesilversilversilver
Back