Supplies/ Sources for Designers: Fabrics, Textiles, Trimings, Notions, Findings, Etc.

hey gius - thanks for the reply. what i mean by faux vintage is "vintage look" fabrics - retro, i guess it's sometimes called. someone on another board suggested i look for vintage curtains, too, which could always be used as fabric for something else. thanx for your suggestion here. i will check it out.

that is an excellent idea^ i met a tailor who always bought upholstery fabrics to make suits out of.. he likes the durability. also the weaves are pretty unique, threads floating and things

i'll merge this with a textile sourcing thread in the CEBF forum .. :lucky:

Sourcing Jewelry Materials

For everyone that makes their own jewelry...

Where do you buy your supplies? Has anyone sourced overseas? If so how do you find these kinds of companies/factories?

I am looking to start a line of costume jewelry and want to find the best wholesale prices that I can, any help with this is much appreciated!!:D

Hello! I make my own jewelry and get most of my supplies from eBay, etsy, or a few different websites. I just kind of searched around until I found reasonable prices. I suppose it depends on what materials you would use. I'm kinda into a brass/art nouveau thing, so it's a lot of medallions, filigree, glass that you might not use, so I'm not sure it'd be worth it to list sellers. Just be careful about overseas, I've had some success, but check feedback as sometimes sellers list somethings as "amber" or "jade" when it's actually a fine material called "plastic".

Wholesale you need a tax ID number for. I only used one when I did a flea market this summer, and the hassle didn't really seem worth it in the end.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Thanks for your reply! I've mostly been buying stuff on ebay, but I didnt know etsy sold supplies too...i found some chains that I really like, so that's a new favorite!

sources for Fabrics and Trims in the United Kingdom

Cloth House
47 Berwick Street, Soho,
London, W1F 8SJ
http://www.clothhouse.com

Broadwick Silks
9-11 Broadwick Street, Soho,
London, W1F 0DB

W Rouleaux
54 Sloane Square, Cliveden Place,
London, SW1W 8AX

Kleins
5 Noel Street, London
W1F 8GD

Whaleys (Bradford) Ltd
Hams Court, Great Horton,
Bradford, BD7 4EQ

**just check in case they have a website

Last edited by a moderator:
This may sound dumb, but I always Google Image search whatever stud/sequin/trim/fabric I'm looking for and find the best wholesalers that way :smile:

i'm planning to buy a male mannequin, any advice on which one to buy? or does it matter at all?

i have a female mannequin

and i just went by a couple of models' measurements and found an average...

you could also get the smallest size and just pad it for the size you want, if you change sizes sometimes

i have a female mannequin

and i just went by a couple of models' measurements and found an average...

you could also get the smallest size and just pad it for the size you want, if you change sizes sometimes

This is the best option if you plan to do clothing for individual people. You take their measurements and then make it fit.

However if you are planning to a clothing line you want your mannequin to be the measurements of your standard size. In womenswear most use a size 4 or 6, in menswear I actually don't know. I'm going to guess 38 but a menswear designer would know better. Then you do your first fitting on the mannequin. Then you find a fit model (a person) who is the body type of your average customer (who you are designing for) and also the same size as your sample size (the mannequin). You do your 2nd and any additional fittings on him. Then you grade your pattern up and down to the other sizes (if you are producing in a factory often the factory will do the final pattern and the grading on their own from the sample garment and rough pattern you provide).

Whatever you do, do not get an adjustable mannequin. They are seriously inferior and should only be used by home sewers for whom fit is not going to make or break their business. If you can not find a foam mannequin, or if it is too expensive, you can get that perfect sized fit model to come over and you can make a mannequin off of his body. There are various methods for this such as duct tape or paper mache. Whatever you do, ensure you line it with a layer of foam put on with good glue (or use expandable foam to fill it up completely) so that your pins will stick into it properly. Then when you can afford it buy a real foam mannequin.

Hope this helps!

I would love to know of anywhere I can get wholesale soft tops in different styles/colours. I make my own at the moment but it isn't cost effective and takes up a lot of time! Any info would be much appreciated

I don't know if it was appropiate to start a new thread so I thought I would ask here. If not please feel free to move it, I tried asking in the DIY section but this area is more active.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any good suggestions on where to find a good affordable dress form. Hopefully a good industry standard one. I would love a Wolf but that a bit too expensive for me. I've heard of Andy's dress forms and they seem like a good deal from what I hear (around $200).

Does anyone here have suggestions for anything else or have bought a from Andy's? I don't live in New York right now but if I had to take a trip up there I wouldn't mind. Otherwise, if there's anything online that would be great. I think I would most probably buy a woman's size 2 or 4 dress form with legs.

I came across a few manufactures for denims such as Cone. That is the only one I can think of from the top of my head. Plus I found a few others from Japan. The reason I am asking, I am trying to find this cashmere-cotton denim that Naked and Famous uses.

Hope you can help me out, it be greatly appreciated,

Ettebe

HELP! digital textile printing

Hello everyone, I am a third year fashion student in Australia, in preparation for my final collection,

I want to digitally print my own textile design on to a heavier fabric (wool, delustred satin and etc) but I am having trouble finding a good place to get my fabric printed,

I don't mind the printing place is not in Australia, as long as the price is reasonable for a student and the quality is guaranteed,

can anyone help me out and suggest some plaves for me to contact?

Thanks heaps in advance :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->