Testing and your Portfolio, for Freelance Stylists, Hair/Makeup Artists etc.

I'm using wordpress for my portfolio (the one that's in my sig) but I just created one by hand using dreamweaver with my own .com so I'll be switching to that soon. I wanted a horizontal scrolling portfolio and couldn't find anything (for free at least) so I just did it myself.

@plaitnumpink - That doesnt even look like a blogger page and I love your work!

I stopped adding physical pages to my book about two years ago.
Recently I made an online portfolio using a cheap home office software called BiND (it's only in japanese now I think) which just goes to show even amateurs can whip something together with cheapo software. http://mishajanette.com/ I use wordpress for my blog and have purchased a flexible template plugin so I will probably move to a wordpress-based site since it is constantly upgrading with the times while the software becomes obsolete. I purchased my own domain and rent a server. I used dripbook previously but found it did not give me the flexibility I wanted and the interface was clunky.

I have my portfolio on iPad. For a new client I send them a comp card by PDF consisting of the photos I think they would most likely want to see, with a link to my website "For further browsing".

I had a meeting with a big agency here and I thought they would give me hell about the iPad. They didn't even bat an eye. "It's the future, anyway", the agent said. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
thx for the feedback...:flower:

the ipad is definitely fine misha...everyone's using them...

I agree ... I haven't had use for my physical portfolio in a long time. Most of the time they are happy just looking at my digital portfolio. Just have the physical one as a back up ... a few people still ask.

So your idea of an Ipad would work very well ... probably the best idea. You could either just link to your online port or have it right on the iPad and that would be all you would need now. I should consider that ... maybe Santa will accomodate?

My online portfolio is hosted by BigBlackBag and it suits my needs. Lot's of templates and options to make it personal. I was able to design something that I liked without too much drama. And unlike paying someone to design a site for me, I can easily make changes and updates myself.

For an online portfolio, how many images should be on one page/when should we start another section? I have 24 images right now on one pages and I'm wondering if I should add more or start a new one (I have a horizontally sliding portfolio btw).

And is there such a thing as too many sections in a portfolio? I generally will see something like "fashion / fashion 2 / beauty /commercial" but then i see some who have a dozen different sections. And then there are portfolios that are separated by editorial -- is there one that's preferred over the other?

I know the rule of thumb is 50-60 images in a book for a stylist -- does the same go for online and is it frowned upon if you have more?

I like the idea of sections ... because too many pics in one place can bore someone. Easier for the viewer and prospective client to find what they are interested in if you have it catergorized.

I think your online portfolio should be organized to suit the various types of work you want to get involved in ... as long a you have several images for each section ... perhaps at least 6, I would say. You can start with just 2 sections ... whatever makes sense for you and if you have enough great pics for each section.

For example, here's how I have mine organized: I do a lot of work for local designers .. catalog and ad work ... so I have a section called "Commercial and Lifestyle". I specialize in working with designers who have plus lines, so for me, it makes sense to have a "Plus Fashion" section. Then, to show my more editorial work (the fun stuff), I have a "Fashion and Editorial section " section. I try to limit each section to about 24 pics, but it depends on the pictures I have. I do try to show some stories ... with 2 or more pics from several shoots. (the link I have in my signature is not my pro site ... here's my pro site, so you can see what I mean about how I have it organized: http://stylistbette.com/default2.asp )

A stylist would never have a beauty section ... but a photographer would, because it's a sepcialized type of shooting.

Don't think using more pictures in an online portfolio as an asset ... for a couple of reasons:

1. More just gets more cumbersome for the viewer. Especially if it's a busy client ... they will be reviewing many portfolios if they are considering stylists. The will get bogged down and quit looking. You want yours to stand out and to have the right kind of impact for your potential clients. And sheer numbers won't do this for you.

2. What will have impact is choosing the right photos. So, the most important thing to remember is to be ruthless about editing your pictures. You've seen me say this before, but it's sooo true ... you are judged by your worst image, not your best.

So ... it's about only showing the very best and dumping the rest. And it's about the whole picture ... not just your styling. If the photo doesn't work because the model is not strong, or the makeup is off or the lighting is wrong .... don't put it in your portfolio ... even if the styling is great. Better to have fewer pics that are great than a whole bunch of them to show your versatility.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I've never seen your professional portfolio before! Thanks for sharing it, the layout is very cute and I've always loved that first image!

Thanks for the input...definitely will be shaping up the new one I'm building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->