Testing and your Portfolio, for Freelance Stylists, Hair/Makeup Artists etc.

Does anyone have tips on how a photographer's portfolio should be? I see alot of advice for stylists!

Also, if we have prints 11x14, should we not have borders at all? and what kind of paper should we print our works on? Is there any kind of portfolio that doesn't have sleeves? I find that sleeves disconnects the viewer's tactile sense alittle?

Photographers usually have the larger portfolios ... 11X14. Althought I've seen lots of customized ones in various sizes, including mini portfolios for certain uses. But the work must stand up to the presentation or it's for nought. But bigger prints show all the details better, focus, lighting, whether or not you have over photoshopped or not.

Borders are a personal decision ... how you like your photos to look. But it should be consistent, whatever you choose. I personally like borderless for a photographer.

I agree sleeves do reduce the ability to see the image well. I have seen some photog just have their photos bound in a book ... but you need to be able to change it up. And it's really important to protect those photos so you have to consider that and how often you are willing to reprint everything. I suggest getting some non reflective sleeves at least, which do seem to be better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Photographers usually have the larger portfolios ... 11X14. Althought I've seen lots of customized ones in various sizes, including mini portfolios for certain uses. But the work must stand up to the presentation or it's for nought. But bigger prints show all the details better, focus, lighting, whether or not you have over photoshopped or not.

Borders are a personal decision ... how you like your photos to look. But it should be consistent, whatever you choose. I personally like borderless for a photographer.

I agree sleeves do reduce the ability to see the image well. I have seen some photog just have their photos bound in a book ... but you need to be able to change it up. And it's really important to protect those photos so you have to consider that and how often you are willing to reprint everything. I suggest getting some non reflective sleeves at least, which do seem to be better.

Thanks BetteT!

I am getting a14x11 book and am wondering if it is best to get polyester pages vs acetate for my leather book? Is acetate the standard? Please if anyone may help.

Thanks.

Not really sure of which is which (It's been a while since I've replaced my sleeves) but I think either is OK, depending on the look you prefer. One is glossy and one is very shiny, as I recall. But whichever you use, make sure it's acid free ... so it won't yellow your pictures.

Hi to everyone,
I have a little question: is it considerable a good idea to use an Ipad as a portfolio, to present your work? It could be cheaper than having to print the pics all the time...but I'm not sure about how a client would look at it:smile:
Thanks for your help,

Giugi

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, Guigi!

That's the first time I've heard that and it makes perfect sense to anticipate something like that might work. And I think someday something like that will be the standard ... with some tweaks. I'm thinking that if everyone is carrying an iPad and we have apps to exchange info on the spot it might be useful.

But then ... most of us have portfolios on line, anyway ... in addition to a physical one. So if most of the time, nowadays when a prospetive client or anyone else wants to see your work when it's not a planned appointment, you just hand them a comp card or business card so they have your web site and can access your portfolio anytime and anywhere they want.

As far as using the physical iPad as the "portfolio" ... I see some uses but with issues:

Right now, it might be great for networking events, but would you want to pass it around the room? I'd be afraid it would get stolen. Yeah ... a physical portfolio could get stolen too ... but I think there's more danger of loosing an iPad.

Sometimes you get an appointment with someone to review your portfolio ... but they are usually across the table from you so you'd have to hand it off to that person and they would need to operate the iPad, if they know how. It's a bit rude to stand over them as they view it ... so you would not be able to operate it for them. If they don't know how ... it would be very awkward for them which is not good ... you want them to feel very comfortable while viewing your work. So ... it would depend on who was doing the looking .....

Often you won't even be there with your portfolio ... you would just "drop it off" for review. How would you handle that?

Sometimes, portfolios need to be sent (shipped or sent by messenger) to prospective clients. How would you manage that? Ship it and insure it? What if they never send it back? And what if they don't know how to use your iPad? Then they can't even see it.

In fact, those stylists, photographers and Makeup artists who have reps have more than one portfiolio ... thier agent needs one or more to send out to clients too and you will always want to have an original in your possession.

So, I'm thinking that it's a bit premature to have an iPortfolio for any other purpose except to carry it with you all the time, just in case you meet someone who you might want to show it to. Not too practical for the way business is being done now ... but who knows what the future will bring?

Also, consider that some of the decision makers are not as tech savy as the younger people. ... it would be a shame to intimidate them with something they can't operate ... and as a result, loose the gig.

To be entirely honest from what I heard some of the girls at IMG apparently are using iPads instead of carrying around books. I know because I was watching the livestream of a casting last season. I would say yeah you could do that and that would allow for you to have a portfolio on you at all times to be able to show people that you may meet but if I were you I'd also invest in printing a few for the situations Bette T mentioned. I personally have downloaded all of my images to my phone, and so when I have nothing handy I can whip it out and say well if you bear with me I actually have a copy of my portfolio here that you can preview and later if you would like I can show you the entire thing. I find it works very well and people don't end up needing to see my full portfolio(which actually has yet to be printed.... but don't tell anyone)

Hi Bette!!!
THank you for your replay! I'm very happy to be part of this community!:smile:I totally see your point. I do have an online portfolio, I have a .pdf that i can send to angencies and clients...and now I'm trying to bild up the "real" one. Theonly reason that made me think about the Ipad is that it would be sooooo much easier and cheaper.
Having the chance to send the pdf (so that a client can keep a copy of it) wouldn't make the ipad a possible idea? The truth is that I can't really afford to pay something like 600 euros to do my book and having it changed every month or two. That's why I thought about using the ipad, cause it'd give me the chance to spend 500 euros just once and to save me from the printing pics all the time.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, Guigi!

That's the first time I've heard that and it makes perfect sense to anticipate something like that might work. And I think someday something like that will be the standard ... with some tweaks. I'm thinking that if everyone is carrying an iPad and we have apps to exchange info on the spot it might be useful.

But then ... most of us have portfolios on line, anyway ... in addition to a physical one. So if most of the time, nowadays when a prospetive client or anyone else wants to see your work when it's not a planned appointment, you just hand them a comp card or business card so they have your web site and can access your portfolio anytime and anywhere they want.

As far as using the physical iPad as the "portfolio" ... I see some uses but with issues:

Right now, it might be great for networking events, but would you want to pass it around the room? I'd be afraid it would get stolen. Yeah ... a physical portfolio could get stolen too ... but I think there's more danger of loosing an iPad.

Sometimes you get an appointment with someone to review your portfolio ... but they are usually across the table from you so you'd have to hand it off to that person and they would need to operate the iPad, if they know how. It's a bit rude to stand over them as they view it ... so you would not be able to operate it for them. If they don't know how ... it would be very awkward for them which is not good ... you want them to feel very comfortable while viewing your work. So ... it would depend on who was doing the looking .....

Often you won't even be there with your portfolio ... you would just "drop it off" for review. How would you handle that?

Sometimes, portfolios need to be sent (shipped or sent by messenger) to prospective clients. How would you manage that? Ship it and insure it? What if they never send it back? And what if they don't know how to use your iPad? Then they can't even see it.

In fact, those stylists, photographers and Makeup artists who have reps have more than one portfiolio ... thier agent needs one or more to send out to clients too and you will always want to have an original in your possession.

So, I'm thinking that it's a bit premature to have an iPortfolio for any other purpose except to carry it with you all the time, just in case you meet someone who you might want to show it to. Not too practical for the way business is being done now ... but who knows what the future will bring?

Also, consider that some of the decision makers are not as tech savy as the younger people. ... it would be a shame to intimidate them with something they can't operate ... and as a result, loose the gig.

I promise I won't tell anyone...as long as you won't tell anyone mine isn't printed yet too :P
It's just so expensive...and as i work a lot and i'm always trying to get better and better colaborating with better photograpgers, magazines, make up artist etc etc...Every month I should re-organize it..i'ts sort of impossible to me. I don't earn enough money....i work as a stylist all the time, but to start being payed "Normally", at least here in spain...it's sooooooo difficult.

P.S. Nice to meet you markese91 !:smile:

To be entirely honest from what I heard some of the girls at IMG apparently are using iPads instead of carrying around books. I know because I was watching the livestream of a casting last season. I would say yeah you could do that and that would allow for you to have a portfolio on you at all times to be able to show people that you may meet but if I were you I'd also invest in printing a few for the situations Bette T mentioned. I personally have downloaded all of my images to my phone, and so when I have nothing handy I can whip it out and say well if you bear with me I actually have a copy of my portfolio here that you can preview and later if you would like I can show you the entire thing. I find it works very well and people don't end up needing to see my full portfolio(which actually has yet to be printed.... but don't tell anyone)

So you know, tFS keeps threads for more precise topics This thread is strictly about building your portfolio if you are a freelancer.

Here is the thread where you may read about and talk about the process of becoming a stylist. It's part 2 ... if you want to read all the loads of great ideas and advice (thousands of posts, it's that popular of a subject), look for the link in the first post which will lead you to Part 1. All About Becoming a Fashion / Wardrobe Stylist - Part 2

I'm going to move part of your post over to the other thread ... the part about getting paid, etc.

Confession ... my on line portfolio is more up to date than my book and even that is not super current. But ... I have all my images in high resolution on CD's, and I have a good color printer and photographic paper on hand. So whenever I need to drop off my portfolio, I can pull up any images that I want to add and print them on the spot. I'm always changing it around anyway, so I have a file for all my prints that are not in use, in case I want to use them again.

I've heard of plenty of fashion photographers using iPods as well, but IA with what BetteT says (and this is my non professional opinion btw, since Im still testing lol). Im just very suspicious/paraniod so I wouldnt feel comfortable passing an iPad around.

Im sure that'll change in 5-10 years though.

This is for Shondra in Dallas (forgive me if I misspelled your name ... we've only spoken on the phone).

Some information about Set Ettiquette .... what is expected from you on set, as a new styist on your first test shoot. See this link to the first, closed thread about how to become a stylist: #994 More information in that area of the thread about testing.

I've heard of plenty of fashion photographers using iPods as well, but IA with what BetteT says (and this is my non professional opinion btw, since Im still testing lol). Im just very suspicious/paraniod so I wouldnt feel comfortable passing an iPad around.

Im sure that'll change in 5-10 years though.

A lot of my fellow photographers use an iPad for their portfolio. They are most useful when meeting with a booker at an agency (where you are not passing the iPad round loads of people). Most people know how to flick through images on the iPad (you open the portfolio and then hand it to the client) but, if not, they can be shown and will pick it up in about 3 seconds.

The positives of the iPad are that it can be updated very easily and you can have several portfolios on one iPad (an editorial one, a commercial one, maybe even a "hands and feet one". Also the iPad display is very high quality and IMO shows images off very well.

The disadvantages are that they are expensive and the screen is about 8inch x 5 inch and displays at 132 dpi (compared to 300 dpi with a standard print) so the detail is not as great as a printed book.

For these reasons most people still have a printed book even if they also use an iPad.

Hello again guys! I've done two photoshoots so far and was wondering which way of having pictures were better- printing photographs or printing from a colour print machine?? Which is better for a portfolio?
(BTW, i've yet to start printing for my portfolio, i still haven't gotten round to checkin all the 'graphers that were in the shoot!)

You did not say what you do. But it's complicated, if you want a real "professional" portfolio.

If you are a photographer .... your prints need to be perfect in quality ... because you will be judged by every little detail ... so the high end photographic prints are best (done on a photographic printer at the very least, or better yet, done by a professional photographic lab) using the more expensive paper, etc.

If you are a makeup artist ... the details of the skin are very important (to show the texture and your blending skills) ... so high quality prints are also important.

Not as important for stylists and models ... we can get by with a bit lower quality ... but they should still be very sharp and professional looking on photographic paper.

It's best to take high quality, large images (after they are color adjusted, and minor blemishes are photoshoppped out, etc.) form the photographer on a CD, then you can print them yourself if your printer does high quality prints in high resolution and you use good photographic paper. If you don't have the equipment and don't want to spend all that money on photographic paper, you can take your CD to a regular photo processing place and have them do it. But ... and it's a big but ... they usually do not have portfolio sized paper which would need to be 9x12 or 11x14 inches (sorry, I don't know how that converts to metrics) 8x10 is not a pro size for us .... it's used only for actors head shots ... so it doesn't come across as "professional" and it makes you look like a hobbyist.

So, you may end up at a pro photographers lab anyway in order to get prints that are the right size for your portfolio. That would be a lot more expensive, just so you know.

Here's one trick I learned: Some regular photo processing places do have one large size of paper that is pretty standard ... 12 x18 inches. If your portfolio image size is 9X12, you can ask them to place 2 images, side by side and sideways ... and print them that way. Then, all you have to do is to use a paper cutter and cut them in half and you end up with 2 9X12 images. It's fairly cheap that way and you can go to a regular photo processing place ... not necessarily a pro lab.

You can also do this on your own printer ... if you can find the 12X18 photo paper and your printer will print at least 12 inches wide.

it seems that all portfolios have gone digital at this point...

i'm wondering how people are dealing with this..
dripbook.com is a good portfolio sharing site---but it's limited...
an ipad is great if you have an appt and can go in person...
but if you are sending it out...
how are people doing this?

is it necessary to build a website if you don't have an agency?
or is it possible to create a pdf that can be emailed?

thoughts?

another question for anyone who has built their own site...
did you hire someone to do it or use something like wordpress?
does wordpress really allow you to create something slick enough for a fashion portfolio?...

also---
there are hosting sites that allow you to build a portfolio using their templates for an annual fee...

does anyone have any experience with this?
any feedback regarding which are the most professional, give the most options, have the best service/prices?

would love to get some opinions from people with direct knowledge or experience...
thanks in advance...
:flower:

well I use blogger as my website. I found a blogger template and as I had picked up a tiny bit of (basic basic basic) html I used the template as a guide and changed the fonts, colours and some of the layout.
www.samuellapalmer.com It's my temporary website until I can get a web designer to do one for me, but it does the job.

I know people that use wordpress and it also does the job (maybe even better than blogger), but it goes without saying, having your own website will always look better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->