Textile Design

glow-in-the-dark carpet

9fc1fe2kf8.jpg
10fc26c8nr9.jpg

annike laigo is holding a sample of the fabric of which her
glowing carpet is made of.
http://www.designboom.com/snapshots/inspired06.html

thanks so much SomethingElse for adding the descriptions of the fabrics by Nuno.. Love hearing how they made them :P I think that is the most interesting part. They have sometimes very unusual processes

Here is some more of their work...
Featured at the NUNO: Japanese Tradition/Innovation in Cloth exhibition in Baltimore, MD

n333100773952853167vb4.jpg

n333100773952882105we0.jpg

This is the synthetic made with 'origami' pleats

n333100773952912204yv6.jpg

n333100773952922907ut2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
n333100773952933608zz2.jpg

n333100773952944302bk3.jpg

I think I remember reading this is done with a spatter effect,
a technique used in the automobile industry for creating shine for cars

n333100773952954995aa2.jpg

n333100773952988927vw0.jpg

n33310077395300160zv4.jpg

all photos taken by my friend :P

Eugene van Veldhoven
This polyamide textile has been printed with polyester fluorescent flakes. A very textured fabric is created. The textile is intended for interior application.
may25200738hm1.jpg

from same book as 1st page

Looks like the same material here
Dries van Noten f.w 07
00290M.jpg

style

wow wow wow i love this thread!! thanks gius!

love this work by jim hodges - the textile is made completely of deconstructed artificial flowers:

hodges.jpg

pic from fabricworkshop.org

Thank you for adding something new to the thread :heart:
I was wondering if there were only a few people interested in fabrics :lol: This is a very interesting piece. I like his technique.. using the collage. I read he wants to create an impression of lace, so the pieces are only joined at the edges.. Must be different to see in real life, more transparent

Oh! I've never heard of the Fabric Workshop
That sounds great! And they have apprenticeships, internships too...
I wish they post more work on their website ^_^ !

Guis - great thread, interesting, inspiring, karma!

the fabric workshop is a really really cool thing... i haven't been for a while and should actually go soon... when i do, i will def take some pics + post them here.

this thread is sooo inspiring!!

great thread gius :wub:

Tzuri Gueta is a textile designer and his work is quite innovative.

According to information from his website his creations have been used by Thierry Mugler, Lapidus, Armani, Dior, Rochas, Galante, etc.

He was also responsible for the 'coral' like textile at the shoulders underneath this Givenchy S/S 07 HC dress...

00190m-3.jpg
00340m-2.jpg

images from style.com

his website states: "His latest creation is a series of ‘jewels’, objects and textiles that incorporate silicone...
It penetrates the minuscule cavities within lace. It takes the form of unique necklaces and moves colour to the translucid, but we cannot see any stitching because silicone is a complete material through and through.
It can imitate wood, ivory, coral or leather, taking on their physical qualities, infusing with a subtle luminosity, while adding new forms and agreeable textures which can be soft, smooth or rough."

quoted from www.tzurigueta.com

it's extrememly interesting...and plenty more information can be found at his website.

as i'm studing fashion and textile design at IED Milano, that's a very interesting thread!! Thanks for posting

Great post, skot4mc :P
I have seen silicone prints before but I never knew they could be varied so much

from lboro.ac.uk

[SIZE=+3]Pastry cutters and high-powered lasers help Shirley win national textiles award[/SIZE]
Final year woven textiles student from Loughborough University School of Art and Design, Shirley Curtis, is celebrating the news that she is this year's overall winner of the British Interior Textiles Association's national competition. The prestigious national award was presented at a special dinner attended by the country's most influential names in the world of interior design. Fashion and interior designer, Jeff Banks, was on hand to congratulate Shirley on her striking monochrome sheer fabrics. The judges singled out Shirley's weaves from tough nation wide competition to award her £1,000 and a promising start to a new-found career.
54curtis744959ty1.jpg

Shirley took early retirement from her career as an art and technology teacher in a secondary school in Northamptonshire to embark on a part-time textiles degree course at Loughborough.
"I love the technical, mathematical aspects of weaving," said Shirley. "Yet in spite of rigorous plans, the best designs develop organically, and sometimes by accident!"

Shirley has recently bought a small table loom so that she can weave each day, without the lengthy commute from Northamptonshire. Her award-winning work, praised by Jain McCormack, Design Director of Sanderson Fabrics, as "very well executed and tasteful", was made on her loom, while the striking cut outs were achieved using an intriguing collection of tools, including a pastry cutter heated over a gas cooker! Heath Robinson-style improvisations are all very well on small fabric samples, but Shirley had to ditch the pastry cutter and opt for a more high-tech approach for her stunning degree show collection. She approached the Laser Centre at Loughborough College, who were happy to allow Shirley to use one of their high powered industrial lasers to put the finishing touches to her weave designs.

Only days after completing her degree, Shirley is busy preparing for a study visit to Antwerp, as part of a Royal Society of Arts Travel Bursary that she won last year. "I still feel I have so much more to learn about weaving, and I'm now contemplating a postgraduate course,' said Shirley. The British Interior Textiles Association award has already yielded some good contacts for future work for Shirley, and she is looking forward to using her £1,000 prize money to buy some new weaving equipment to replace her trusty pastry cutter!

Ends

[SIZE=+1]For further information please contact
Anna Seddon, Publicity Office, Tel 01509 223445,
Email [email protected] [/SIZE]

Luxury Re-cycled

by Italian textile company, MANTERO
http://www.mantero.com

50% wool fibres, 50% recycled silk
creating a non-woven fabric

characteristics of felt,
with extras like softer hand and
ability to accept various treatments

resilk4.jpg

resilk6.jpg

more samples @ the website :flower:

thanks for posting gius! :flower:

the recycled aspect is a postive in my book.

I'm interested to know what it feels like.

you're welcome, skot!

it's a neat idea
i wonder if there are other ways of recycling material to make fabric
i remember the stylist Panos Yiapanis cut up denim into strips and did a patchwork fabric out of it

Balenciaga S/S 2008 by Nicholas Ghesqiuère

00270m.jpg

style.com |

Cathy Horyn says:
He is one of the few designers who can change our eye, and you’re not going to do that by shoveling stuff onto clothes. There are plenty of designers who do that just fine. Rather, you do it through fabrics, construction and the latest technology.The new collection used all of those elements. There were stiff couture fabrics like radzimir [and gazar], and new materials like foam and a crinkled fabric similar to matelassé made by a heat-shrinking process. The silhouette was a short two-piece outfit with peaked or rounded shoulders (some sleeves were pompoms of prints) with a mini that sometimes split open over matching shorts.
Some closeups of the crinkled fabric

thecelebritycity; NYTimes |

This is by the Cristobal Balenciaga himself
It looks like the crinkled fabric, no?
I wonder how it was originally made
Not that high technology back then ^_^

balenc1960s2.jpg

balenc1960s.jpg

[Whitakerauction]

Saga Furs - Design Centre

http://www.sagafurs.com/index.php?id=8
SAGA DESIGN CENTRE

work21a96dbaon6.jpg

work31a9fd87lz4.jpg
House of Saga Furs
clear.gif

f7493ba7201ab93c7ba8.jpg

Situated in the idyllic Danish countryside at the heart of Northern Zealand, Saga Desgin Centre is Saga Furs administrative headquarters and the heart of creative innovation in fur.

Saga Design Centre’s team of designers and furriers have continually developed bold new uses for fur -- and have shared this knowledge with designers from around the world. As the designer’s choice, we invite creative minds to Saga Design Centre to make dreams of fur a reality.

At Saga Design Centre furriers and designers test the limits of creativity to extend the potential of fur.

Their website shows a lot of the techniques for fur they've developed too-- it's very interesting. You can also attend their workshops, accommodation provided (in the house up there^)

mission21ab0756cw6.jpg

And here's a link to their CATWALK GALLERY
http://www.sagafurs.com/index.php?id=13
You can view the furs they've created for various labels and their own

Regards to j'adore_dior :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bloopybloop
Back