That's sooo 2000s

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by Ryan Riverz, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Ryan Riverz

Ryan Riverz New Member

Every decade had something fashion-wise that was specific to that decade, that was part of a cultural movement in that period of time that causes sentiment and nostalgia today. My question is, what will we be nostalgic over in our last decade (2000s) as we move into the future.

What are we going to be remembering as "so 00s".

2. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

^mini jean skirts paired with black tights. good god! it was overused from 2007-2009. that was a fashion revival i did not want to see. haha.

3. lmelanie

lmelanie Active Member

ugh the whole ugg thing was/still is revolting. especially with juicy sweatpants and mini jean skirts.

4. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

:lol:

I still see girls do this.

The whole Juicy craze was also very 2000's. And it died out as fast as it got popularized.

5. fashionfille

fashionfille New Member

i feel like almost every trend from the past decade (or even decade an a half) was really just old trends coming back in style- boho, neon, layering, leggings, statement shoes, necklaces, earrings, etc, platforms, converses, feather hair accessories...the list goes on. there are definitely some trends (like the denim minis and pop tee shirts, juicy, ironic tee's, hipster, prep) that are very late 90's and 00's, but, again, most trends are just retro styles from our parents generation.

6. chicca

chicca Active Member

sienna/nicole/kate : boho-hippie and balenciaga bags

7. Psylocke

Psylocke Active Member

some typical 00's trends that come to my mind:

- super low rise jeans with exposed thongs :lol: (Seven jeans hype, etc.)
    - miniskirts with black tights / leggins (proud to say I never followed that trend)
    - ankle boots
    - flip flops (I don't remember these having been in fashion anytime before the 00's)

8. Tinetush

Tinetush What fresh hell is this.?

I think we've been through so many trends. The only trend that I recall being consistent is black leggings...

9. labellevie

labellevie Member

Trucker Hats
    Black Nail Polish
    (those are a few distinct ones, that I can think of that wasn't mentioned)

10. StoneSkipper

StoneSkipper Well-Known Member

Caps, Uggs (ugg! :lol:), ripped jeans, ankle boots, sarouel pants, military jackets, grunge fashions.

11. haksare

haksare New Member

Haha, I think it's funny that we can now say "that's so 2000's" about a week into 2010, I love it :lol:

Juicy Couture sweatpants :yuk:
    Coach
    Skinny skinny pants on men
    Ray Bans
    Boyfriend Jeans
    UGHS! :sick:
    Distastefully ripped jeans
    A&F and Hollister
    The Hipster look
    Pajama bottoms outside

12. TianSoFine

TianSoFine Active Member

-spandex leggins
    -skinny jeans
    -OMG UGGS
    -neon print tees
    -Juicy Couture sweatpants (as mentioned so many times above)
    -OMG COACH

13. Mods_MS17

Mods_MS17 New Member

i disagree with the person who said military jackets, i think that this type of style is increasing. i think the more sculpted and defined clothing style is becoming more popular.

i think the 00 decade has been pretty lazy with fashion (though i'm not saying that i didn't like the fashion). it's just that, as someone said before, the 00 decade seemed to always look back on and be inspired by the decades prior. honestly, i don't really know if there will be any completely new and innovative styles in this decade either, just re-inventions of the fashion in the past.

14. unspoiledbird

unspoiledbird New Member

So true. I remember when I was little and I would watch futuristic movies, I thought the new millennium would have really specific styles to look back on, like tin-man hats and aluminum foil jackets or whatever absurd garments teenagers would wear in those movies :P I'm not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed!

So I guess hipster regurgitation of former trends was the way to go last decade, although I do feel the "ironic" vibe was the main characteristic in the adoptions of these trends and ultimately what characterizes this last decade (see American Apparel and LA street style)

15. gossiping

gossiping Well-Known Member

ed hardy and american apparel :lol:

16. D A N A

D A N A Active Member

Von dutch :huh:

17. IAmLordZen

somebody's mentioned this earlier but minis and leggings remind me sooo much of 00s. Ripped leggings too. Also the Kate Moss look.

18. D A N A

D A N A Active Member

where did they say von dutch?

19. AbsolutStyle

AbsolutStyle New Member

To me, 00's trends mean... low rise jeans and pants (and even skirts?), trucker caps a la Ashton Kutcher, uggs of course, distressed denim, ponchos (they had their 15 minutes of fame), layering tees, the black nail polish craze, emo kids, "scene" kids, then hipsters, ed hardy (sadly it seems the trend is continuing into this decade).

There were some "good" trends too I think, like ballet flats. And platform heels. Both of which aren't really new I guess, just reinterpretations of old styles, but I still love them all the same :P

20. Coquettish

Coquettish New Member

Skinny jeans and prairie skirts. Don't get me wrong--I still wear skinnies, but there was a point around 2004 or so when I thought I'd vomit if I saw another floral cotton prairie skirt. Ugh!