The 4-5 piece French wardrobe combinations thread

fashionista-ta

Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is to demonstrate the possibilities of a compact wardrobe (what we call around here a "French" wardrobe, after the "4-5 piece French wardrobe" thread).

The idea is to list the wardrobe pieces you're working with currently (for your current season), and then come back and record combinations. You can do this with or without pictures.

Right now in my climate we are transitioning from winter to spring. I often start to "feel" spring around mid-February (and in reality we often do have some beautiful weather around that time). Sometimes we regress though :innocent:

Here's what I'm working with:

My new straw bag (see picture)

Shoes (with black tights right now--you can see how this works in different seasons in pix below:(
  • black glossy kid 85mm pumps
  • red patent/ivory grosgrain peep toe Mary Jane 100 mm heels (see picture)
  • russet top-stitched peep toe Mary Janes
  • metallic pewter ballet flats with floral applique
  • black suede/grosgrain stiletto booties with satin ribbon tie (see picture)
  • black silver-beaded sandals (see picture--except black)
Tops:
  • black SS scallop neck
  • black SS scoop neck silk sweater [RIP]
  • black, ivory SS scoop neck cotton sweater (rolled sleeves & hem) (2 in different colors--I sized up in the ivory)
  • black, navy cotton crewneck sweaters (2 in different colors--there were originally at least 4, but the white and mauve are no longer with me)
Cardigans/jackets:
  • black and tan furblend 3/4 sleeve (2 in different colors)
  • navy, red, ivory 3/4 sleeve cotton with contrast buttons (except ivory) (3 in different colors)--new this season
  • coral jean jacket
Bottoms:
  • black wide-leg tropical weight wool pants, hemmed for heels
  • long black wool crepe skirt
  • grey heavy weight linen skirt (see picture)
  • long full ivory skirt with ties at sides of hem (looks like sails to me :wink:)
  • mid-calf light khaki cotton A-line skirt with raw seam detail
Dress:
  • black/blue/white halter (see picture)
Today I wore:
  • black rolled hem sweater
  • coral denim jacket [I did a coral theme several springs back--the jacket & pendant are from then]
  • black pants
  • black pumps
  • black tights
  • faceted mother of pearl earrings and ring
  • vintage '40s pendant--coral bird in gold & mother of pearl birdcage on a coral organza ribbon
  • coral lipstick
  • straw bag
One day last week I wore:
  • black scallop neck top
  • new ivory cardigan
  • black wool crepe skirt
  • red patent heels
  • black tights
  • straw bag
neimanmarcus.com, bodenusa.com, nordstrom.com, bergdorfgoodman.com, headstartshoes.com

Attachments

• Valentino straw.jpg
    Valentino straw.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,054
  • red shoes.jpg
    red shoes.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 4
  • bag2.png
    bag2.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 7
  • navy cardigan bodenusa.jpg
    navy cardigan bodenusa.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 980
  • halter dress Nordstrom.jpg
    halter dress Nordstrom.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 3
  • valentino_bg.jpg
    valentino_bg.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 532
  • dries headstartshoes.jpg
    dries headstartshoes.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 507
Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic thread! I'm excited to see what will come of this. :smile:

Excellent thread, ta-ta! I was just thinking about trying all my clothes and come up with new outfit combinations

This really helped me to start considering what to get rid of and where my wardrobe is going.
  • Dressy tops: If I have to look nice (I might even brush my hair :lol:)

By Malene Birger/Zara/H&M/H&M
  • Feel-good tops: Nice tops for everyday/eating out and where I want to feel nice (this requires a good hair-day)

H&M/H&M/Some expensive brand/Vintage
  • Everyday tops: To be worn with any cardigan and jeans - days where I'm slummin' (bad hair days...of course)

All H&M
  • Everyday dresses: When I'm too lazy to put on jeans

H&M/H&M/asos

...and:
  • Going out-clothes that never fails me (even though I go out in other things too:(

H&M/H&M/H&M/Blazer from ONLY
  • Skirts - I pair them with everything
+ a billion interlock miniskirts from AA in cotton and lamé
Gestuz/A skirt made by my grandmother during WW2 from a blanket
  • Knits
+ a grey plain cashmere sweater
Cape from whatever brand/Zara/H&M
  • White shirts...kinda

Both H&M - the 2nd one is my all time favourite
  • Jeans: Black and light blue, one of each
  • Chinos: Army and very loose fitting - also an all time favourite
  • Leggings: Black. light grey, black denim, black lamé
  • Shorts. Only one pair (black), unfortunately.
  • Bags

And them I have billions of pairs of shoes. :D I'm definately not a bag girl.

I have realised that I need to get rid of some of my dressy tops. I never wear them, really. I'm getting rid of the nude ruffle blouse from H&M and the army blouse from H&M too - I hate the fabric, but love how it looks = I never wear it.

^ Ida, how wonderful that you still wear that skirt your grandmother made during the war :heart:

I added a couple pieces above--if you're interested in designer/label info I can add that too.

Couple other combinations:

• red cardigan
  • black scallop neck top
  • black pants
  • red patent heels
  • [+ lots of compliments on this outfit--someone said he'd never seen me dressed up before, which he very well had :lol: Notice I was wearing red a la feng shui theory :wink:]
  • navy cardigan (ivory buttons)
  • navy crewneck [hole in wardrobe here--don't have an ivory top I can layer for day wear--these are hard to keep]
  • ivory skirt
  • black tights
  • pewter ballets

Interesting thread! I'll try this out tomorrow. :smile:

Today:

• navy cardigan
  • navy crewneck
  • light khaki cotton skirt
  • red patent heels
  • new soft red lipstick

I love this concept. A great jacket is always a good staple to have in a wardrobe, as is a pencil skirt and black pumps! (and of course red ones, too) Also a couple of cardigans, camisoles, and blouses. I wonder if I will one day ever achieve a "French Wardrobe." I need to stop shopping!

Ida,
I love the idea of posting your compact wardrobe and analyzing it - really interesting!

^Well, it did need some analyzing...I feel like I'm figuring out what I'm about. No more girly stuff. I have given some stuff away already

great idea for a thread ta-ta. I have way too much stuff in rotation to do this for fall, but i am planning a very small capsule for spring and summer. Will post as we emerge from this frigid weather.

Fantastic idea, might give it a try once I get my wardrobe completed/organized and whatnot ^_^

I swear, I have more muted colored tops than posted :blush:

• Basic-ish Tops mostly paired with a good pair of denim pants
14vjuo4.png
qmxq1f.png

25tvmnd.png
sx12pz.png

Forever 21 - American Eagle - J. Crew - Forever 21

• Sweaters - Blazers
5tujpz.png
2gt9d9e.png

J. Crew - Banana Republic
The pic doesn't do justice of the blazer, I was surprised how well tailor it fits.

• Bottoms: Denim - Skirts
241ryid.png
11tpzpd.png

2ibhuu0.png
350tcax.png

2hdmhvp.png
vrxd7s.png

J. Crew - American Eagle - Forever 21 - American Apparel

Missing ... Basic black + white pieces, and in some dire need of dresses and skirts this coming SS. Still early, but I feel kind of empty with no elegant(ish) but settle dress in my wardrobe :unsure:

What an interesting and inspiring thread. I like this idea. I hope more people post pictures. :wink: I think I might later...

great idea for a thread ta-ta. I have way too much stuff in rotation to do this for fall, but i am planning a very small capsule for spring and summer. Will post as we emerge from this frigid weather.

Looking forward to it :wink:

Oh what a nice idea for a thread.. looking forward to see it evolve, as more people join in and updates..

I'll try and take some pics, and do some sorting in my wardrobe.. I'll be back :D

Today:
  • New black/blue/white silk halter dress
  • SS black silk scoop neck sweater [several years old--5 or so]
  • Sheerish black tights [from the batch I bought last fall]
  • black suede/grosgrain peep-toe booties [pre-fall last year]
  • Bright coral lipstick
  • White baroque pearl drop earrings
The first dress I've bought in forever--I quite like it, perhaps I'll have to do this more often. So comfortable :crush:

I went by Home Depot on my way home & got some looks--I was the only person there wearing stilettos for some reason :innocent:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->