The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belowen

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Reaction score
Moderator's note:
  • In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
  • Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
  • Please remember to stay on topic... All off topic discussion will be removed.
  • Please do not power post e.g. make empty posts with no info/questions/images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
  • To view old thread(s) please use search function.
Thank you.

NOTE: Curious as to what this thread is all about? See this post for an explanation.

Hi guys! I'm baaaaaack. :lol:

We are heading into Autumn now (despite the weather still hanging around the 40 degree celcius mark) so I am starting to think forward as to where I want to go with my wardrobe this season. I have quite a firm idea about what my personal style is now, so I will be sticking to that and finding pieces that I know will work with me, with my wardrobe and choosing items that will stand the test of time.

Here is a general idea of what I am thinking for Autumn/Winter 2010 -

Tops
** sheer black / print / floral blouses (will look to buy 2 new blouses this season)
* black cashmere v-neck sweater
** black cashmere cardigan (x2)
* black studded silk tank
black silk/jersey tee
elizabeth and james black satin blouse

Bottoms
** black pencil skirts (will need to purchase 2 new skirts for work)
black cigarette style pants
** dark denim jeans (will need 1-2 new pairs)

Dresses
* asos dark purple/floral print dress [ordered]
basque dark green/black peacock print dress
black/grey polka dot print babydoll dress
ann taylor black dress w. rosette shoulders

Outerwear
* black long length blazer
* black leather jacket
black tie-waist trench

Accessories
* cashmere tube scarf
house of harlow peacock ring
* oversized ray ban wayfarers
* oversized black leather handbag
3.1 phillip lim black patent clutch
vintage peacock clutch
* oversized black leather clutch
mimco black embellished hair piece
diamond stud earrings
tiffany & co initial necklace
* black pearl earrings

Shoes
* lanvin black leather ballet flats
country road black leather ballet flats
black patent ankle boots
wittner flat black leather boots
wittner black patent pointed flats
chanel burgundy round toe heels

All of the items I need to find/purchase are *'d. I will also need to stock up on black opaque tights, and some layering pieces (plain black tanks, and longsleeve tees usually from Witchery)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ what a clear-sighted list. I'm working on getting to that point myself.

I notice you have a lot of black items on that list. Black is so versatile, so I find myself filling in holes in my wardrobe with black. I recently got a black mini-skirt because I hope it to fulfill a broad category of need: the going-out basic. I just received in the mail today (eBay auction) and I love it! Just the perfect fit.

I lucked out since I got it on eBay, but it helps to know what brands work well with my style and figure, especially in this whole minimal wardrobe endeavor. It helps me to focus my search. For me, Twinkle by Wenlan works out well because she has the cute, quirky, well-made aesthetic I go for.

^ It's true that for basics, there's often nothing like black. But I like to have lots of sweaters, blouses, Ts, jeans, shoes, etc. that aren't black ...

^^^pretty list. I probably have less clothes in my entire closet than you have in that list though but it's such a nice list. noticed the black too.

hello all. i know i'm not much of a contributor on here so you probably haven't noticed my absence over the past couple months... I'm back though! My main focus has been on shoes.

Checking back in on this thread for a little update...

Tops
** sheer black / print / floral blouses (will look to buy 2 new blouses this season)
* black cashmere v-neck sweater
** black cashmere cardigan (x2)
* black studded silk tank
black silk/jersey tee
elizabeth and james black satin blouse

** black asos chain neck sweater (ordered)
black/white plaid top

Bottoms
** black pencil skirts (will need to purchase 2 new skirts for work)
black cigarette style pants
** dark denim jeans (will need 1-2 new pairs)

Dresses
asos dark purple/floral print dress
basque dark green/black peacock print dress
black/grey polka dot print babydoll dress
ann taylor black dress w. rosette shoulders

sussan black draped jersey/lace dress
see by chloe grey sweater dress

Outerwear
* black long length blazer
* black leather jacket
black tie-waist trench

Accessories
* cashmere tube scarf

** warehouse lace scarf in mink (ordered)
house of harlow peacock ring
* oversized ray ban wayfarers
* oversized black leather handbag
3.1 phillip lim black patent clutch
vintage peacock clutch
* oversized black leather clutch
mimco black embellished hair piece
diamond stud earrings
tiffany & co initial necklace
* black pearl earrings

** asos black enamel panther cuff bracelet (ordered)

Shoes
* lanvin black leather ballet flats
country road black leather ballet flats
black patent ankle boots
wittner flat black leather boots
wittner black patent pointed flats
chanel burgundy round toe heels

wittner peep toe motorcycle/wedge boots

I had a little browse through my cupboard while prepping my clothes for the change over of the seasons and found a few pieces that I had forgotten to list the first time around.

After checking through the list and what I will be wearing most, I have narrowed down my first 5 purchases to...

> black pencil skirt
> dark denim straight leg jeans
> black cashmere cardigan
> black long length blazer
> oversized leather handbag

I know I will be buying the skirt, jeans and blazer in stores here because those are items that need to fit perfectly. I hate going through the hassle of returning online purchases that don't fit, so I'm going to spare myself there and be sure to buy them in store.

Does anybody know a good place to buy cashmere online? (that ships to Australia) I found a cashmere cardigan on Shopbop, but it had big pearl buttons and I'm not a huge fan of that style...

I'm on the hunt for a good oversized leather handbag, but I'm thinking I might just get a high street brand and save myself some money there to put towards other items. (like the Lanvin ballet flats) I haven't seen any designer brands within my budget that I absolutely love.

i've also narrowed my list down...

summers are very cool where i live, so i tend to neglect my summer wardrobe...
but this year i want to get some things to 'summerize' some of my fall/winter clothes..
and i really want some great shorts!
and a camel colored v-neck cardigan...
and new sunglasses...

(polyvore - tresbienshop.net, net-a-porter.net, jcrew.com, creaturesofcomfort.us, mytheresa.com, builtbywendy.com)

Attachments

• BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFmZpYng1bHhBM3hHNVhnNDRmLXJ3c1EAAAACaWQKAXgAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg
    BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFmZpYng1bHhBM3hHNVhnNDRmLXJ3c1EAAAACaWQKAXgAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 11
^ I love that comme des garcons cardigan!

Belowen, love your list. Have you considered a Balenciaga bag for your black leather bag or is that not oversized/the right style?

As for cashmere I always have a problem finding one, maybe an Italian brand? Other brands seem to pill on me.

I haven't been buying much at all this year. A couple of work basics, brooks brothers pants and J.Crew cardigans. But I did pick up a cute tee, sweater, and flat black combat boots at All Saints --- which may be a new favorite store. Then again last year I spent alot and bought alot and while I like most of it, I want to love everything and have a more streamlined and functional wardrobe.

So my short term list right now is:

slacks for work 1-2 pairs

2 pairs of new dark wash jeans. I'll probably just get them from the gap since my hips don't tend to fit into designer jeans.

Ivory/cream/taupe/rose shells for spring. For some reason I have a hard time finding shells that are work appropriate.

A dress.

Black Balenciaga city bag -- the first that I have is a touch small.

lower heeled CLs in taupe/beige --- not 100% sure about these.

Belowen, love your list. Have you considered a Balenciaga bag for your black leather bag or is that not oversized/the right style?

To be honest with you I hadn't even considered the Balenciaga. I've seen them everywhere and for so long, they never really held much appeal for me. Plus they are a tad out of my price range at the moment. If I was going to spend that much on a bag, I would go for a Givenchy or a Lanvin bag for sure :heart:

^I don't really like that bag because I think it's more like an IT bag than a timeless piece.. Maybe I just don't know it well enough. ^_^

Belowen your list is great! About cashmere, have you considered buying direct from Scottish or, as salomelovesjohn suggested, Italian brands? I personally love Pringle and Hawick but you can get good cashmere from small suppliers. I know that Johnstons has an online store and I'm almost certain that they will ship anywhere. (They're pretty good for simple sweaters but they're not innovative with their designs. Look up Hawick and of course Pringle for that). Hope this helps. :smile:

Thankyou pchouclaire! I've struggled to find any good Australian cashmere brands to purchase from, I'll check out what you've mentioned in your post. Thanks again!

To be honest with you I hadn't even considered the Balenciaga. I've seen them everywhere and for so long, they never really held much appeal for me. Plus they are a tad out of my price range at the moment. If I was going to spend that much on a bag, I would go for a Givenchy or a Lanvin bag for sure :heart:

That's funny you say that ... I was think of Givenchy for you. I've seen a crinkled black patent tote I think you might like ... I'm not terribly fond of the logo, but sometimes you can find them where it's printed on the leather & less prominent. Maybe it's just me :stuart:

Belowen, what a lovely list. I don't know if this really suits your taste at all but Coach has some really nice leather handbags coming out for the fall that may suit your needs.

I'm currently working on Spring/Summer:

2-3 Summer/Floral dresses
1 pair of wedges
1 pair of tan heels
1 pair of white keds/converse (I am traveling in Europe at the end of this summer so I need walking shoes)
1 grey or navy blazer (to dress up dresses and for chilly nights)

I think that's on my immediate list of things I am looking for. I have a few other ideas in my head but I don't know if they are worth getting/exploring.

^ Nice list! I'm wanting the same things for spring really - more floral dresses & wedges especially!

That's funny you say that ... I was think of Givenchy for you. I've seen a crinkled black patent tote I think you might like ... I'm not terribly fond of the logo, but sometimes you can find them where it's printed on the leather & less prominent. Maybe it's just me :stuart:

I dislike bags with prominent logos on them too ta-ta, you're not alone! Do you know the style name of the Givenchy bag you saw? :heart:

Belowen, what a lovely list. I don't know if this really suits your taste at all but Coach has some really nice leather handbags coming out for the fall that may suit your needs.

I do actually have a coach bag already, but it is a purple suede bag, not a black oversized bag like I'm looking for... It was a gift and I've never actually had a look through their stuff of my own accord but maybe I will now, thanks for the tip!

I couldn't resist these cashmere scarves from Shopbop at 70% off, the price was just too good to resist, so I bought these earlier than I planned to... I got the wrap scarf in black (as pictured) and the tube scarf in red. They are 100% cashmere from shopbop.com -

Attachments

• scarf1.jpg
    scarf1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 2
  • scarf2.jpg
    scarf2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 642
ooo i love the scarves belowen! off to check out their selection...

Belowen, I don't remember the style name, but I saw it at Barney's ... probably not this season, but sometimes the bags carry over from one season to the next. I think Barney's may also have a tendency to do that more than most. Not sure if they ship to you, but if not, maybe I could help you out ...

Belowen, I don't remember the style name, but I saw it at Barney's ... probably not this season, but sometimes the bags carry over from one season to the next. I think Barney's may also have a tendency to do that more than most. Not sure if they ship to you, but if not, maybe I could help you out ...

Thankyou :heart: It wouldn't be for a while (it seems to be the month of the big bills for me) but if I need help sourcing something from Barneys I'll be sure to speak to you :heart: :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->