Frida Giannini - Designer

Rtw accounted for only 11 percent of Gucci’s revenues in 2013 [...] 14 percent for footwear
Not surprising, her collections were safe and even if Gucci had the most covers and everything, who is her customer?

It would be nice to see something not safe, or not the same old. It would be nice if Gucci was refreshed, if they did something kind of out there, but in a brilliant way. :smile:

I actually work as sales associate at Gucci, and RTW accounts for nearly half of the sales of our shop, especially the FW 2014 collection, it sold like hotcakes.
but we are really happy and excited about her leave to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
It must suck to work for Kerring, you never know when you'll be unceremoniously kicked out the door

^Yes, I wouldn't be comfortable sitting there. It's a shame really.

Gucci Staying Inside for New Design Team. The brand’s men’s and women’s collections for fall are to be presented as planned with the help of Gucci’s team.- wwd

That's really shameful how they just gave her--and all of their past designers--the boot like that. They really just come off as greedy businessmen with no class whatsoever.

Watch them give Hedi the same treatment once his sales start dropping.

Rtw accounted for only 11 percent of Gucci’s revenues in 2013, versus 58 percent for leather goods, 14 percent for footwear and 17 percent for other categories.
In theory that isn't at all surprising, the brand operates a collective of stores that a proportion operate accessories only, so divided between over 425 stores that percentage makes sense.

Tom Ford Returning To Gucci ?

IT'S the headline that most fashion followers thought they would never read, and almost warrants another question mark or an exclamation mark at the very least, but the unthinkable has happened: Tom Ford is again being linked with Gucci following Frida Giannini's hasty departure earlier this week.

The company's creative helmer for a decade, from 1994 to 2004, Ford defined an era for Gucci, creating the brand that we know today. Taking a leading role within Kering, then called the Gucci Group, Ford also took creative charge at Yves Saint Laurent during his time with the conglomerate - and could do little wrong creatively or commercially during that time.

The excitement that the Italian house generated among fashion fans under Ford was never replicated under his successor Giannini, who favoured dressing real women over Hollywood starlets - and Ford's controversial advertising campaigns kept the brand in the headlines where the subsequent, more low-key media approach has favoured philanthropy over shock value. When the partnership between Ford and Kering owner Francois-Henri Pinault unravelled - as it did very publically - Ford retreated from public life for several years, before establishing his eponymous label in 2006.

So how much of this speculation is wishful thinking on the part of fashion watchers - and what might stand in the way of such a return? Well the short answer is, much of it and a lot of things. Firstly, Ford's hugely successful eponymous brand, said to be worth nearly a billion pounds, would likely not be compatible with the rigours of running Gucci. Secondly, Ford has been very vocal about the emotional and physical toll that the job took on him, as well as how pleased he was to have extricated himself from the label and taken control of a company the direction of which he governed autonomously. Thirdly, since leaving Gucci, Ford has admittedly switched the focus of his own life from business to family - marrying long-term partner Richard Buckley and welcoming a son, Alexander, who is still just two and presumably very much in need of his dad.

Thanks to Galliano, 2015 is already the year of the fashion comeback, but a Ford for Gucci return really would make all our sartorial dreams come true.
*Vogue.co.uk

Ugh gimme a break, this fashion nostalgia is so annoying. Yes, Gucci by Tom Ford was great ... almost 20 years ago. Move on. And seeing the garbage he's doing on his namesake label, I would rather stick with Frida.

Ugh gimme a break, this fashion nostalgia is so annoying. Yes, Gucci by Tom Ford was great ... almost 20 years ago. Move on. And seeing the garbage he's doing on his namesake label, I would rather stick with Frida.

That "garbage" is selling better than Frida's ever did ... :innocent:
His last collection was about a decade ago and it is still beautiful. Nothing wrong with nostalgia when it was a better time for the label than it is now. Fact.

As much as I want Tom to go back to Gucci I cannot imagine it ever happening given all the bad blood.

His last collection was about a decade ago and it is still beautiful. Nothing wrong with nostalgia when it was a better time for the label than it is now. Fact.
This.

Tom Ford has around 70 stores worldwide (minus cosmetics), his first store opened on Madison Avenue in 2007 and his business is estimated to be worth in excess of $1Billion - and he made a movie. and that is without what he achieved at Gucci, that for me speaks volumes than what Frida achieved at Gucci in a similar time frame.

Tom is a much, much better designer than Frida ever was. As evidenced by sales, also.

My guess is this is just a stupid rumor, but one can only HOPE, right?! :heart: If true, it would be the biggest thing to happen in fashion in 2015.

But I'm happy either way. His own label is brilliant, and I like it a lot better than today's Gucci.

But good luck to Gucci on getting a rejuvenating new creative director. :lucky:

Yes it was beautiful, back then and at that scenario. You are under the impression that Tom will magically pick up where he left off. He clearly didn't achieve that with his collections, so I think it's a bit delusional to think he would with a comeback at Gucci.

Gucci needs new blood, new life. No more Tom Ford. No more designers trying to rehash Tom Ford. Fashion needs to move on.

Yes it was beautiful, back then and at that scenario. You are under the impression that Tom will magically pick up where he left off. He clearly didn't achieve that with his collections, so I think it's a bit delusional to think he would with a comeback at Gucci.

Gucci needs new blood, new life. No more Tom Ford. No more designers trying to rehash Tom Ford. Fashion needs to move on.

The contrary. I am not under the impression that Tom Ford would pick up where he left off. No good artist / creative person does not evolve. What I am confident in is Tom Ford's ability to create covetable products no matter what. Yes, I agree Gucci needs new blood, but at the same time, I would not be opposed to Tom Ford returning because he knows what he is doing. In Tom's defense, Tom has moved on from Tom Ford era Gucci.

ETA : Scroll through some of his collections in the 2000s and you will see that some of those pieces are as relevant and fresh as ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->