The Glamour Girl's Guide to Life - Interning in NY

My parents had nor have any connections. Before my parent's home country was acquired by the US as a commonwealth, its was 3rd world. They didn't speak english, and are still considered poor, so perhaps race has nothing to do it. :blush: I could be wrong. Regardless, I'm not submissive enough to take that type of job. :neutral:

this article scares me. i pictured an industy where people genuinely loved what they did---dreamt of it their entire lives. i was not picturing a group of women displaying their trophy wife potential.

thats sad; and what about the guys? I'm a black male and went to pubic school all my life would I not get a chance because I don't fit the mold of preppy Fashion. For some reason I saw that world as occupied by people who loved the art of fashion; not the social stance it came with.

Nyx said:
Thank you for the historical perspective, but this doesn't really change anything.

On the contrary, I find it appalling that contemporary intelligent women still have to succumb to an outdated tradition of having menial "glamour" jobs in order to get a "good" husband, when they clearly have the potential to hold demanding top positions themselves (like the men mentioned in the article do). :shock:

Word to your whole post. As others have said upthread, the whole thing is icky. The attitude that it's better to use one's brains, social standing, and education to attract a man rather than do something, anything, to benefit society -- like working at a non-profit; becoming a doctor, or a teacher, or a writer; or, if you like fashion, creating art -- is disgusting. If I'm going to work 40+ hours a week for $20,000 (and I have), then I damn well expect there to be some real benefit to it. And by real benefit, I don't mean joining a sorority or finding a husband. It's just so appallingly shallow.

cheepmunk said:
Word to your whole post. As others have said upthread, the whole thing is icky. The attitude that it's better to use one's brains, social standing, and education to attract a man rather than do something, anything, to benefit society -- like working at a non-profit; becoming a doctor, or a teacher, or a writer; or, if you like fashion, creating art -- is disgusting. If I'm going to work 40+ hours a week for $20,000 (and I have), then I damn well expect there to be some real benefit to it. And by real benefit, I don't mean joining a sorority or finding a husband. It's just so appallingly shallow.

Some women just want to marry well so they can take over their mothers' jobs on museum boards. Other women want to join those boards but don't have the right connections to do so (e.g. they grew up in a different town from the boards they would like to join). Yet others have parents who "have the money" but don't necessarily "have the right connections" (if you go back 100-125 years, many "new money" girls married British aristocracy). Getting the "right connections" can be tough.

gia0202 said:
this article scares me. i pictured an industy where people genuinely loved what they did---dreamt of it their entire lives. i was not picturing a group of women displaying their trophy wife potential.

i concur with you gia! It makes me so angry that I could potentially not recieve a job despite my passion for the career in favor of some wannabe socialite. grrrrr

Look let's be real here, race matters, esp in NYC. Unless you have serious connections or money, it's going to be real hard. Even McQueen said that NYC is racist. When you work with one of these organizations you are representing the company, and truth is some places are not comfortable using people that are not white as representatives of their company. It's not right, but it is the reality in NYC.

That's sad and kinda discourages me from wanting to be in the industry. But, if Andre Talley did it in the 70's than I can in the 2000s.

i somewhat suspect that. if most big houses won't use black models, why would they use black pr heads?
on the otherhand, there are high up blacks in img, and in conde nast, while there is discrimination, they do get hired. they have hispanics, asians, etc. in all fields there is discrimination.

i think he meant that it's tough for non white ppl to get the top position like anna wintour.

i sort of ruled that out a long time ago. but i think getting mid-level is a real accomplishment. i visited a ny firm, and the owner was supposedly filipino/hispanic---but was the only non-white at the office. it is disheartening when it is in a city as diverse as nyc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason ALT made it was because he was a force to be reckoned with and he is also very nice (I know, I met him). He didn't become ALT he WAS ALT. Which makes a big difference. A lot of people who come into the industry have absolutely NO interest in fashion other than the perks they might get. The fashion industry was also more friendlier then than now. It sounds discouraging, but don't fret, I'm Latina and I'm still going after it!!

gia0202 said:
i sort of ruled that out a long time ago. but i think getting mid-level is a real accomplishment. i visited a ny firm, and the owner was supposedly filipino/hispanic---but was the only non-white at the office. it is disheartening when it is in a city as diverse as nyc.

Do you think it's an influence thing? I know that plenty of minorities, wealthy or not, want their children to follow their footsteps. I have a cousin whose mother practically forced her into engineering (both her parents are engineers) and two friends who are doctors (though one girl is not going into family meds because specializing will get her more money). I don't know. I grew up in a middle/upper middle class neighbourhood, and I really have to admit that I don't really understand "minority struggle" at times (and I don't mean to sound snobby).

i think the struggle comes when as a person of color you are generally seen as less pretty, smart, friendly etc. also people tend to seek out friends and mentor those remniscent of themselves---since whites make up the majority in us and europe--there it is...
but if you don't understand, then ask yourself why--despite so many afro-american girls in love with fashion rarely rise to the top of the modeling industry? while many asian/indian immigrants don't seek out art-related fields, many blacks do. as a side note-living in a upper-middle class area i was told many things. one being i could use a nose job, not wear colors were oi look so dark...i have even had teachers refuse to call on me and students enraged i recieved the highest grades on tests. maybe in your area racism isn't aparent because there aren't enough people of color to cause some to feel uncomfortable. many people aren't racist---but the minority struggle is very real.

gia0202 said:
maybe in your area racism isn't aparent because there aren't enough people of color to cause some to feel uncomfortable. many people aren't racist---but the minority struggle is very real.

Ehh...I live in Toronto, Ontario. Half the people here weren't even born in the country and most of these people are ethnic minorities. I think it's just that people in my circles have had comfortable lives and just don't make a big deal about anything. I think that's where Asians differ from blacks and perhaps Hispanics.

maybe it is like when men say women complain too much about sexism. it is easy to say that when you are a man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patda02
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->