The Indie Film Thread

travolta said:
have you guys heard of the The Yes Men? it's about people who posed as members of the world trade organizaton, i haven't seen it yet, but i heard it good.

It's not bad. Their website is good too.

Schizopolis is good...

Steven Soderbergh said in an interview it was the only movie he's ever really wanted to make

I want to see films of indie godfather John Cassavetes such as Shadows, Gloria, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and Faces (which was the first indie film to earn an audience with mainstream America.)

Aside from the aformentioned films of Cassavetes, I want to see Blood Simple by the Coen brothers, Days of Heaven and Badlands of Terence Malick, Do The Right Thing by Spike Lee and Sex, Lies and Videotape by Steven Soderbergh to name a few. To be honest these are just the tip of the iceberg.

---

I recommend Blue Velvet by David Lynch, Before Sunrise by Richard Linklater and Dead Man by Jim Jarmusch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arturo21 said:
I must say, even if they are foreign (And I had no idea at all it was hip, it seemed to me it was totally un-hip to watch them..or so popular television makes it seem.), they seem to be wonderful films to me. Good stories, what's wrong with that? Which films do you consider 'cream of the crop'? I'd like to watch them :flower:I'm compiling a list of films I want to see. :P I'll try and find Baraka when I go rent films today.

I must watch Ingrid Bergman films, are they truly as wonderful as I'm lead to believe or just ove ? Seventh Seal looks nice.

There's also another film called Broken Wings. I'm going to rent it today.
http://www.brokenwings.co.il/engsite/eng.html It looks very well made and promising. I also rented Mean Creek, but I haven't seen it yet.

I think you mean *Ingmar Bergman.:flower:

I agree with those of you who mentioned f*cking Åmål... it became HUGE in Sweden. It's truly a classic here. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't seen it. But yes, it was - and still is - great. And let's not forget the soundtrack, which is perfect.

Lilja 4-ever was good too... it's not a feel good movie though, so don't watch it if you're not prepared for getting a slap in the face... it really shows what life is like for lots of people.

My favorite indie film is Gas food lodging... if it counts as an indie film...?

love most of Jarmusch films can't wait to see his new one ..

also loved Steve Buscemi's (sp) first film as a director, thats 'artists in oblivion'
and just about everything Atom Egoyan ever directed ,
my fave of his > 'the adjuster' a must for anyone into idie films..

all time fave indie films, are the Warhol trilogy "Flesh" "trash" and "heat"
i've seen most of Paul Morrisey's / Factory 'experiments' but Andy's trilogy is for me pure work of art :heart:

Yeah, me too, can't wait to see Broken Flowers with Bill Murray.

Where did you see the films by Andy Warhol, Lena? :woot: As far as I'm concerned, they aren't available on DVD.

in the cinema igni, i simply hate dvd's

*just discovered the 'nobody wants your film' adv, here at tFS google banners wow and now i pray to see this.. Steve Buscemi is in it :heart:
off to visit their site

Ignitioned, have you seen The Limey by Soderbergh? it's a really slick, pretty movie w/ Terrence Stamp. Coen Brothers :heart: ..Raising Arizona and Fargo are faves. i agree, Richard Linklater's meandering naturalistic style is good, and his best movie was Before Sunset... but Dazed and Confused is definately worthy of repeat viewings. :blush:

I noticed someone mentioned Jarmusch, he also directed Stranger than Paradise which is one of my favorite films ever.

Also, I'm a little unclear on indie vs. not-indie. If we're going to count Wim Wenders can we count Fassbinder? Petersen? If we do then Maria Braun, Katzelmacher, and Fear Eats the Soul by Fassbinder and Neverending Story by Petersen...

travolta said:
Ignitioned, have you seen The Limey by Soderbergh? it's a really slick, pretty movie w/ Terrence Stamp. Coen Brothers :heart: ..Raising Arizona and Fargo are faves. i agree, Richard Linklater's meandering naturalistic style is good, and his best movie was Before Sunset... but Dazed and Confused is definately worthy of repeat viewings. :blush:

Hey, travolta. No, I haven't seen The Limey yet. But if it's anywhere near as good as Out of Sight, I'll check it out. :wink:

In random order:

Igby Goes Down
Dogville
It's All About Love
Garden State
Festen (The Celebration)
Coffee and Cigarettes
The Good Girl
The Station Agent
I Capture the Castle
The 'I' Inside
Happy Accidents

probaby others I can't think of at the moment

i loove y tu mama tambien, last life in the universe, donnie darko, saved, garden state [ pity it's such a hipster film now ], amores perros and this korean one called 3-iron. no coincidence all the males in these movies are hot. :wink:
dying to see nobody knows.

some films i've enjoyed watching..though i don't know if they're considered Indie:

• Un long dimanche de fiançailles [with Audrey Tatou]
  • Tesis [ by Alejandro Amenábar]
  • La Haine [Great movie by Mathieu Kassovitz]
  • Irréversible [kind of sadistic to say i "enjoyed"it]
  • Mystery Train [Jarmusch]
  • Stranger than Paradise [ditto]
  • f*cking Åmål [Moodysson]
  • Lilya 4-ever [ditto]
  • Ghost World [?]
  • Happiness
  • L'Auberge Espagnol
  • Amores Perros
  • Abre Los Ojos
  • La Meglio Giuventú [worth sitting still for 6 hours]
  • Ora o Mai Più:heart: [MUST see]

Pieces of April
Before Sunrise/Before Sunset (are those indies)
Saved (I'm also not sure if that counts)
He Loves Me He Loves Me Not
Songcatcher
Osama
Polish Wedding

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
modeket
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"