The Last Movie You Saw?

A worthy Oscar winner. Much better than the art house meses that is Dunkirk.

I was constantly amazed at the cinematography. Roger Deakins turned war into a mythic journey with his camera. It's amazing how the action is so fast paced yet the framing never seems to be anything but meticulous, they must have rehearsed to hell and back. The almost identical shots that bookend the movie are full of poetry.

My Neighbor Totoro
As an artist wannabe I enjoyed the images, but the dialogue couldn't be any more stilted had they tried.

The characters constantly state the obvious to each other, conflict is nowhere to be found and the kids speak in these annoying baby voices that were about to give me a headache. I cannot imagine why an adult would find this entretaining.

Ghibli honestly works best when adapting from a source material.

A worthy Oscar winner. Much better than the art house meses that is Dunkirk.

I was constantly amazed at the cinematography. Roger Deakins turned war into a mythic journey with his camera. It's amazing how the action is so fast paced yet the framing never seems to be anything but meticulous, they must have rehearsed to hell and back. The almost identical shots that bookend the movie are full of poetry.

Ooh, this reads interesting! Will give it a try because I instantly dismissed it as 'just another war film' just as I dismissed Little Women as 'just another romantic costume drama'. Though I may well be right with Little Women.

But first....Parasite!

Parasite
I finally got around watching this film two or so weeks ago. It went from humorous to grim pretty suddenly! I'm rooting for it at the Oscars.

Young Ahmed.

Kind of thankful I got around to see it as it's a topic that's not well-documented in films. The film walks the viewer so calmly (excluding the 3 suspenseful scenes) that you can almost figure out how the mind of a young boy can end up wired like that and then become skeptical up until the end that he's capable of ever doing a U-turn to being just a normal teenager. That kid's acting in the end.. wow.. anyone that's ever had a [spoiler alert] major back injury/surgery will know he nailed it.

I'm not sure whether the film is suggesting that a true exit from extremism can only occur with a dramatically transforming event and that, unless that happens, the fundamentalist seed will always be latent, or I'm just being naive thinking that with enough treatment he can snap back the same way he suddenly radicalized. Either way, it's hard to contain that with limited income + social periphery, cause you usually only get to the treatment part if the person has already done or tried to do something awful. I really felt for the mother and all the mothers of these people.. Claire Bodson's acting is excellent, too... I dare a son of mine to pull that one on me lol.. I'll drag the f*cker by a chained tooth if necessary to a Bolivia-bound plane.. join an NGO for a year, see real poverty, true martyrs of capitalism and no supernatural bs, then preach away..

Movies I've watched so far since the lockdown started here in France...

Frances Ha
In the Fade
Burning
Nobody Knows
Whiplash
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
A Separation
In the Mood for Love

Underwater.

Damn fine fun escapism. God, is this a great film to get lost in during these depressing days.

Extraordinary tales, by Raul Garcia. Beautiful animated movie about Edgar Allan Poe and a dew of his short stories about death. And it has the voices of Christopher Lee, Bela Lugosi, Guillermo del Toro.

Also saw Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Celine Sciamma does it again!!

Beautiful film.

Echoing what everyone else has been saying, I saw Portrait of a Lady a few days ago. What a superb and deeply romantic film! I'm smitten. :wub:

While social distancing, I finally saw Parasite as well. Another great movie. Also,Tigertail, All About Nina, Little Women, and Lourdes.

1. Dil Chahta Hai
  2. Secretly, Greatly
  3. Motichoor Chaknachoor
  4. Outbreak
  5. 1917
  6. Capernaum
  7. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
  8. Parasite
  9. Midway
  10. A Taxi Driver
  11. War Horse
  12. Good Newwz
  13. Darkest Hour
  14. The Joy Luck Club
  15. I Am Legend
  16. Children of Men
  17. Royal Tramp
  18. Royal Tramp 2
  19. Snowpiercer
  20. Justice, My Foot!
  21. Angrezi Medium

The Birds and Marnie. But while The Birds may be a bit skimp on the storyline, it makes up with chic visuals. More like an elaborate fashion editorial come to life with the great costumes from Edith Head and scenery (especially that stunning scene of her on the rowboat with the stark and moody sky as a backdrop.) The film as a whole should really be regarded as a crash course for budding photographers/videographers on the art of composition and cinematography.

Marnie is different, actually a really beautiful and timeless film in a way. Quite amazed at how my focus was solely on the story and visuals and not romanticising a bygone era which is usually the case when I watch vintage films. Tippi Hedren is absolutely gorgeous and such a great if not the ideal postergirl for the Hitchcock blondes. It's both ironic and tragic that Hedren played a victim of (alleged sexual) abuse while being abused by the director.

Slowly working my way through all of Hitchcock's films, and I must say that so far there's this English stamp on his films despite most of them being filmed in America. The grim area where Marnie's mother lives, with the brick walls and obviously fake setting of a ship on the dock, could very easily be Cardiff Docks. The little island off San Francisco in The Birds reminds me of coastal villages in our region. And the permanent 'dour' and moody weather is unmistakably English.

Pinterest

Sheesh Benn, stop broadcasting online to lurkers where to seek inspiration… When— and if I’m employed again, I don’t want everyone to know where I get my concepts from...

Sheesh Benn, stop broadcasting online to lurkers where to seek inspiration… When— and if I’m employed again, I don’t want everyone to know where I get my concepts from...

Hahahaha, they wouldn't have the wit, the background to history beyond the 80s, the skill to even try to copy this. To even consider creating work inspired by Hitchcock films you must have a broader understanding of how people lived back then, the design movements at the time, it's so much more that's why it's baffling to me how many design students in general are not well versed in history and art that is not contemporary.

Anyway, the new wave of photographers knows that if they want a slice of the pie they must either produce the grittiest and downright offensive to the naked eye-type images, fixate on anything 80s/90s, or spend all spend every waking minute shamelessly copying Meisel and Klein. *cough* Hugo Comte *cough*

^^^ Stop giving instructions!

(If these lessers do manage to stumble onto the possibility of such references into production, they’d likely cast tsupermediocres like Adut or Nora…)

Movies I've watched so far since the lockdown started here in France...

Frances Ha
In the Fade
Burning
Nobody Knows
Whiplash
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
A Separation
In the Mood for Love

continued...

Mulholland Drive
Papicha
Brooklyn
Amores perros
An Elephant Sitting Still
A Serious Man
Enemy
Dear Zachary, a letter to his son about his father
American Psycho
Tigertail
Le ballon rouge
The Last Emperor
The Square
Trois souvenirs de ma jeunesse
The Master
The curious case of Benjamin Button
There Will Be Blood
The Squid and the Whale
Zoadiac

The Birds and Marnie. But while The Birds may be a bit skimp on the storyline, it makes up with chic visuals. More like an elaborate fashion editorial come to life with the great costumes from Edith Head and scenery (especially that stunning scene of her on the rowboat with the stark and moody sky as a backdrop.) The film as a whole should really be regarded as a crash course for budding photographers/videographers on the art of composition and cinematography.

Marnie is different, actually a really beautiful and timeless film in a way. Quite amazed at how my focus was solely on the story and visuals and not romanticising a bygone era which is usually the case when I watch vintage films. Tippi Hedren is absolutely gorgeous and such a great if not the ideal postergirl for the Hitchcock blondes. It's both ironic and tragic that Hedren played a victim of (alleged sexual) abuse while being abused by the director.

Slowly working my way through all of Hitchcock's films, and I must say that so far there's this English stamp on his films despite most of them being filmed in America. The grim area where Marnie's mother lives, with the brick walls and obviously fake setting of a ship on the dock, could very easily be Cardiff Docks. The little island off San Francisco in The Birds reminds me of coastal villages in our region. And the permanent 'dour' and moody weather is unmistakably English.
Jeez, this picture of Tippi in the black suit at the pet shop is really something else.

A Hitchcock marathon is always a treat, in my book.

"North by Northwest" is fabulous...incredible soundtrack and Cary Grant is so unbelievably stylish in it. There's a pair of sunglasses he wears that I still want...you'll know which ones when you see 'em.
"Vertigo" is perfect...better each time you watch it. Also a magnificent soundtrack by Bernard Herrmann.
"Rear Window" is a totally fun movie and Grace Kelly is shockingly, gut-wrenchingly elegant in this particular flick.
"Psycho"...spectacular performances by all involved and another iconic soundtrack...of course we all know the shower scene song, but the rest of the score is really lush and evocative.

I've watched quite a bit, and in particular I've revisited some old flicks I always love...

Maybe my favorite that I've rewatched is "Leave Her To Heaven." It's an underrated and relatively unknown Technicolor noir flick starring Gene Tierney, who is potentially the most gorgeous actress of all time. It's on Youtube, and I highly recommend the watch, particularly for you two, @Benn98 and @Phuel ...talk about some fashion imagery inspiration.

It totally captures my favorite era and look...early 40's America...the cutting edge of style, so severe and fashion forward, but contrasted so perfectly with the rugged landscape and that sort of Ranch style home.

Plus, Gene's performance and look is so beautiful and so wicked you can't forget it. There's one scene in particular...you'll know it when you watch it...unforgettable...
maxresdefault.jpg

LeaveHeaven_1945_color_6.jpg

12f704f18e60ed425e78efc703d43c36.png

leave13.jpg

33769898081_bf862d7b2c_b.jpg

(youtube.com / moma.org / pinterest.com / cometoverhollywood.com / flickr.com)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->