The Last Movie You Saw?

And with Tom at the helm, they would’ve kissed.

Morgiana ... Lol that was a trip. Like a psychedelic Czech interpretation of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

Maxxine. The fly me to the moon. Then horizon. Then quiet place day one. One after the other.

“MaXXXine” was fun.

Ultimately, the cast saved the movie. Mia, Elizabeth and Kevin Bacon elevated what otherwise would have been a Netflix level production. The 80’s nostalgia is very au courant, but it was well done here.

It was still an easy, fun watch - and such a treat being under 2 hours!

The ending’s final twist had potential, but felt underdeveloped. I’d watch again, though.

Bonjour Tristesse (1958).

It's such a great summer movie, I could look at the French Riviera landscapes and the wardrobe (both in b/w and colour parts) forever. Also made me want a swimsuit cut like the ones Jean Seberg wears!

Longlegs. 😕 I was really liking the first part, but the rest of it was just ? mostly a mixture of wanna be art hoe stuff and dorky humor that didn't mean anything neither visually nor story-wise. Apparently the marketing of this film was "amazing" but I did not see any of it ... lol.

Midsommar (yes I know, five years late). I thought it was great, but my interpretation of the ending and a lot that went on before it seems to be at odds with everyone else's haha.

Werewolf by Night (is this a movie? more like a tv special. But, astonishingly for something that comes from Marvel, it's actually good, I gave it the 52 minutes because they somehow managed to score Gael García Bernal as the lead and I wasn't wrong to do so)

^basically that she was now fully brainwashed and indoctrinated into the cult plus a bit psychotic after being hopped up on the drugged tea (I also interpreted the May Queen dance as them 'letting' her win). Not freedom from her grief, but a continuing tragedy even if she doesn't feel it since the cult wasn't going to let her leave.

Woody Allen’s Match Point.

One of my favorite films. It doesn’t surprise me that Woody considers it his best film, too. It is so accomplished and so perfectly executed. I am usually ambivalent towards his work - very hit or miss. I tend to care less for his work when the main character is too obvious of a mirror of his neurotic and bumbling self (I never liked Midnight in Paris for that very reason).

Match Point is an incredibly tight and taught thriller and an absolutely masterfully written script.

Fantastic cast, too. I normally don’t love ScarJo, but she works here as a sort of sexy, yet unlikable temptress. And Emily Mortimer, Matthew Goode and Penelope Wilton are so subtly hilarious. The opera soundtrack is also so delicious.

Have you seen @Phuel ? I know you love a tennis movie!

Inside Out 2. At the request of my therapist. Usually we see eye to eye on most things and have a great mutual understanding. This was not one of them.

I hated it. I get it, and obviously it’s a kids film, but wow I did not enjoy it. Next session is gonna be a doozy. But maybe I’m just too much of cynic and pessimist. Did make me want to watch Alien Romulus though so I’ll be getting my tickets booked for that.

^a decent therapist shouldn't take it personally if you hate a film they recommended, but I get it I frequently have reactions like that to contemporary films described as "heartwarming" "uplifting" etc.

^ That is true, but as you say I think it’ll more of a reaction to my sardonic attitude and less so the movie itself.

One thing to note for myself in the future is that I really can't be controlled around cinema popcorn. And peanut m&ms. My skin has broken out and I’m blaming Inside Out 2 for that :judge:

Alien: Romulus. It was fine, but very predictable in that unpredictable way because you knew how it was gonna go just not sure of the order of it all. The whole Ian Holm AI'ed and CGI'ed in was sad to see. Appreciate the call back, but was weird and so crappily done. The final Alien battle was also a bit strange.

The start though where they capture the dormant xenomorph from space after Ripley shot it out would have been more interesting to expand upon rather than a brief scene. They keep doing this though with the Alien films where it becomes more body horror and action thriller rather than suspenseful fear (Cameron's ALIENS over Scott's original ALIEN). Perfect chance as well to get more on Weyland-Yutani exploits without it being the annoying Prometheus and Covenant iterations.

Rant over.

!! I loved Alien Romulus! I guess your tea is valid tho... Maybe I just went into it with reallyyyy low expectations like "okkkk here we go again with another flop remake/sequel blah blah blah" I was pleasantly surprised!

Don't get me wrong, I still LOVED it because I enjoy the more OG Alien feel to it compared to those pointless prequels that made things confusing. And the fact that there were so many call backs to pretty much all the films in the series was pretty good, but was a bit nostalgia baity too and I think got in the way.

I also went in with low expectations but again, can't help but rant about it. I think it has a fantastic sound design and set though. Not only a great iteration of what OG Alien had, but the atmosphere was truly unsettling for the most part. Using parts of Goldsmith and Horners interlaced with what sounded like parts from 2001: A Space Odyssey was amazing.

It did spark my curiosity about the Romulus and Remus ship. I wanted to know more about it in its live state and all. And how the dormant Xeno really came to be with all the experimenting (and facehuggers... like how tf was there so many in the end in stasis...)

Joika. Honestly if this had been properly distributed and if the Academy Awards were not all about politics, this would’ve been Talia’s express path to becoming an A-list actress. She’s ✨ ✨

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bunny1212
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->