The meaning of "Wearable" - discussion

*sayan said:
To me the concept of wearable has a lot to do with how one feels, or how one wants to feel rather than strictly how one looks. Therefore i can find some extreme C Diem pieces wearable, or Comme and many others for that matter. My very idealistic view of fashion makes me think clothes have the power to transform a soul.
Wearing a colorful extreme Comme piece gives u a challenge in the morning, a challenge in presenting yourself in the street, a challenge in communicating with strangers or friends, dealing with looks, putting yourself in a position to take things more lightly, and especially makes the wearer take himself less seriously. It can also bring out very nice sides of people who would therefor not be noticed, or show a very closed minded side of someone believed to be the opposite. these are all just examples, but my point is: how does one feel after such a day, what sens does "enjoy the moment"(carpe diem:wink: ) takes after such an adventure. I cannot believe that such a challenging day doesnt forge a personality...yes, we all admire or at least are intrigued by people who "pull it off", BUT maybe that person wasnt as strong before and challenged herself by putting something crazy on her back. Maybe its the garment who's responsible for making that person strong. Garments making people more confident. doesn't it sound nice?
Sure being sexy is nice and can bring some self confidence. But being truly confident is holly.(and in my opinion much sexier:blush: )

"Life is to serious to take it seriously":heart:

Excellent.

:blush: coming from mista fashion critique.

i sure hope one day u will wear my designs faust:wink: .

sayan that post was beautifully worded. Interesting point brought up about how garments making people feel confident in regards to someone who might not have been as strong before, it totally changed the way I will now look at someone who is said that "the clothes are wearing them" (a phrase I always used to describe someone who seems like the clothes are overpowering them). That said, this is an issue I've struggled with sometimes, but I've come to realize that wearing what feels natural is the most important thing...people who wear clothes that are deemed as "unfashionable" could be criticized as ignorant to good style, but now I've realized that what they wear has very little bearing on who they are as a person, and in the end even throwing on nice clothes won't change much, besides it's all about who they are in their 'essence' anyway.

Also another note: to be very honest I feel a lot more natural (and can behave/act accordingly) wearing a Yohji jacket over a Dior Homme jacket, and I understand that it's a very personal issue in the end. So even though Yohji may be seen as less wearable for some, for me it is the most natural and wearable clothing in the world, I can't find anything else that is better tailored to who I am as a person.

*sayan said:
:blush: coming from mista fashion critique.

i sure hope one day u will wear my designs faust:wink: .

hey, if that's your design philosophy and our aesthetics match - you bet :P

^^ that's the point, what may be wearable to someone is unwearable to someone else.. very simple really.

the key is in respecting and seeing 'others' from a wider less 'alien' view

I've always thought that there are pieces which are universally un-wearable ... I mean .. years ago trends where fed by Haute couture ... and nowadays .. I'd say couture is unwearable, because ... how many people can afford it?

Hum ... thinking outside the box and seeing unwearable pieces as a challenge its my approach ...

ANYTIME YOU MAKE A PIECE OF CLOTHING YOURS (AS IS FITTING YOUR STYLE) YOU'RE A TRENDSETTER.

I've seen it happen over and over ... I hate trends but inavertedly I'd seen people who has gotten "inspired" by things I or someone has worn in the street. Isnt it ironic? Turning into the same thing you hate?

But I guess that's for the best ... it means you have to be more creative and re-invent, re-cycle, re-think ...a work in progress! Something to get up in the morning and try stuff from your wardrobe (or at some shop) over and over again until you get the desired combination.

Werable is something that i feel confotable in, is something that fits well and is something that i feel confident in.
I also think some people dont have the confidance to wear mad clothes that arent common (ok hard to explain but i know what i mean lol) but anyways i also think wearable is something youi can wear with out atracting to many questionin glances. Ok maybe im totaly wrong but to me thats what i think of as being wearable and how i use the word... all though i dont think there is a right or wrong answer.

In my opinion everything is wearable, pulling it off and feeling comfortable in it is another thing.

nqth said:
Wearable = sellable:-P

and here you have the bottom line...
THAT is the true meaning of the word....plain and simple...

read it and weep...:lol:

good going nqth...
right to the point...
love that...

:heart:...

hmm great topic... ngth summed it up for me.
i like your outlook sayan but unfortunately colourful comme jackets will scare me in the morning.. I do believe in clothes with soul(like what makes your fav garment so special that u wear it more than another one).. These are the clothes that make people look and feel better(remember its all in our head)..

Personally i like clothes that fall beautifully on the human body whether male or female... I like to see garments that make one look and move gracefully with some sort of sentiment behind it..by that i mean strong movement and soft flowy movement or slow movement created by the cut of the garment.. in that way one could wear all black and yet express themselves. everything matters..cut fit fabric etc..

every label has a target audience(or pretty much) otw they wouldnt survive.. and the designers cater to their clientelle who obv will find their work wearable.. then the whlole sunjective thing comes in... I find some dior homme pieces and yohji pieces awkward while someone loves it... while someone might think CCP is rubbish..and ogle at D&G or cavalli or galliano...

but 2 truths remain ... there is the boring wearable and the edgy wearable and they both sell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->