"The Next Kate Moss"

Purr

Reaction score
so lily cole is "the next kate moss". i love Lily, i spent weeks searching fr her name after seeing her in the topshop billboards but honestly i doubt she will replace kate...

don't you think it's a little early to say that?

how many models have been dubbed the next kate moss?
i know at least 3, although i don't remember their names (guess why).

can anybody help? do you remember their names?

they were all british and looked like dolls. the last one appeared one or two years ago and had short black hair. i hope Lily has better luck than the previous "the next kate moss" girls.

(i need this for a report for university so thank you for your help).

when tiiu came ... a two year ago, then they said the new kate moss.

:angry: The next Kate Moss...... The Next Naomi Campbell...... It is lazy journalists who cannot think of better descriptions and it can be a kiss of death for the model who is meant to live up to this and invariably can't or doesn't. I don't even remember the girls you are asking about :innocent: :blush:

I don't think Lilly will be that big. Can't they call her the next Karen Elson or something since she's a redhead?! :rolleyes:

Blah.

Originally posted by foxinthesnow@Mar 16th, 2004 - 11:54 am
It is lazy journalists who cannot think of better descriptions and it can be a kiss of death for the model who is meant to live up to this and invariably can't or doesn't.
You nailed it and I totally agree. We never even know in what context they mean. Are they calling her the next Kate Moss because she's British or because she's not as tall? I look more like Kate then a girl from Redditch who was recently tapped as the next Kate Moss.

I thinks it's a burden for the up and comer to be asked questions like that too. The good ones handle the interview well, usually with a response like, "Oh wow, it's great to be doing some of the stuff she's done because she's accomplished so much." That's diplomatic but keeps them from fawning.

The worst violators are when it comes to ethnicity though. What black model hasn't been dubbed the next Naomi? What Japanese model the next Ai? Okay, there are no Japanese models being called that but I'm trying to make a point here.

Originally posted by Anais@Mar 16th, 2004 - 12:02 pm
when bekah jenkins came to the scene maybe 5 yeras ago she was around 13-14 years old...she was said to be the next kate too...and i thought she had the most potential of them all....havent seen her in a while...http://www.fashion.tripnet.se/bekah_j.htm :heart:
She is really cute, do you know what happened to her? :flower:

Originally posted by Atelier@Mar 16th, 2004 - 12:38 pm
The worst violators are when it comes to ethnicity though. What black model hasn't been dubbed the next Naomi? What Japanese model the next Ai? Okay, there are no Japanese models being called that but I'm trying to make a point here.
I definately have to agree with this point. I remember reading a description of Liya Kebede as the next Naomi Campbell a while back. In my opinion, they really don't look similar at all. Liya's seems more elegant while Naomi was a bit "fuller". It's kind of pathetic that they seem to think there is only one black model to compare these new models to.

It's kind of pathetic that they seem to think there is only one black model to compare these new models to.

Absolutely right. It's absurd how many beautiful young model-type women are in the world and what a narrow slice are chosen. Oh, and I think Jessica Miller was tapped to be the next Kate.

The Next Kate Moss? The Face Of The Decade?

It's rather vexing when people say one is "the next __________________" and I don't know enough about modeling to say she'll even be a supermodel. To my unpracticed eye, she doesn't look like much. That may just be the way they chose to photograph her. :innocent:

Supermodel at 15
By Chris Millar, Evening Standard
1 June 2004

This is the 15-year-old model from Bloomsbury blessed with the "face of the decade". Ester Keate has not even taken her GCSEs yet - but already she has been described as "the next Kate Moss" with as bright a future as last year's fashion sensation Lily Cole.

At 5ft 9in, she has the figure and stunning looks of a supermodel. Eloquent and highly intelligent, she was not discovered in Topshop or Covent Garden - typical venues for talent scouts - but protesting at the anti-war march in Hyde Park last year.

Until her first modelling assignment she had never worn heels, and was given special lessons in walking in stilettos. Her interest in fashion designers was limited to the highstreet collections in Topshop and H&M.

She has already starred in a major advertising campaign and a Vogue photoshoot, but her commitments have been limited by her GCSE timetable. She is predicted to gain top grades in her 10 subjects this summer, and says her friends at St Marylebone state school have been "really cool" about her new-found status. Her parents, both photographers, just want her to do "whatever feels comfortable".

When she was spotted, she assumed it was a "wind-up".

"I was a bit confused when I was tapped on the shoulder and asked if I wanted to model," she said. "I had not thought about modelling. I was really scared initially. I spoke to another girl at school who had been spotted and she gave me advice.

"It is all quite new to me and I was nervous about doing catwalk work because I was worried I would fall over, but it has been fun."

Despite her modesty, many in the fashion world believe her appearances will be a highlight of this year's London Fashion Week.

The event, sponsored for the first time by the Evening Standard, is set to be the biggest in its history, featuring leading designers such as Julien Macdonald and Giles Deacon.

The five-day show has gained a reputation for promoting young talent and has helped forge the careers of supermodels including Jodie Kidd and Erin O'Connor.

Tory Edwards, who manages supermodels including O'Connor, Helena Christensen and Alek Wek, described the "incredible moment" she spotted Ester's "perfect, rosy face" among a crowd of protesters.

She said: "I knew I had found the hottest new face in town. She had such a strong look I knew we had found the next supermodel. It's almost unheard of to find someone so young with such a strong look.

"She will only blossom with age, but already she is among the most-talked about models in the industry. Her intelligence and maturity mark her out as the star of the future. She has the face of the decade."

esterkeateST010604_100x110.jpg

I must say that it's a bit hard to make a judgement based on one tiny picture... :unsure: Thanks for the heads-up though tealady.

Agree with you purplelucrezia. But does anybody have other photos of her ? I'd love to see some.

OMG she goes to St MArylebone? Lily Cole goes to St Marylebone. OMG- that school.

I googled her and got nothing... but judging from that picture she doesn't look like anything special.

I'm not really suprised that they go to the same school, esp since its in central london right?It kinda happens-one person gets into the spotlight then another does, etc. In my school it was a bit like that-one person got a record deal, another got a modelling contract with a major industry, another was in loads of films (mainly cos his dad was the producer) and this was a private school which is meant to be really academic! I don't know how it happens...

But that girl does not look like "the next kate moss". I think a lot of PR people just use that label to create a storm-the only thing she has in common with Kate Moss is the British element.

There was a show on E4 about modelling-they followed models from Storm in London and they told the story of this girl who had "the look" and she was the it girl for a few months and then they just moved on from her-she stopped getting jobs (after being in things like Italian Vogue) and now she works in French Connection somewhere-it just shows how fickle the industry is. You have to be a Kate/Gisele/Karolina to stay at the top. Maybe ModelMom would know more..

i especially love the line " i was tapped on the shoulder and asked to be a model" :P

there is no 'new kate moss' and there never will be

kate is one in a billion and nobody can do it quite like her.
shes not just a pretty face, she is dead smart. she gets the balance between naive and savvy just right, and knows how to work the press, the public, and most importantly....the camera :wink:

love u babe :heart:

The only model I've heard called the next kate moss was bekah jenkins way back when- although I expected to see more of her now that she's 18 but I guess she's not in now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekz7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->