"The Next Kate Moss"

Originally posted by PussyLee@Sep 25 2004, 04:44 PM
joking? what do you mean by that?
[snapback]375384[/snapback]​
:wink: I'll leave this to MulletProof.

I'm just voicing out my views. I love Fashion and supermodels, I'm sorry if I offend anybody.

I think it's preposterous to call anyone the "next Kate" since Kate is still alive, still working, and will be THE Kate for years to come.

you all make so many valid points.

i agree that the racial comparisons can be kind of stupid unless the two models actually look alike and are the same race...(like white models gemma ward and sasha p...they're always compared to each other). purple, you're so right about liya kebede. i don't even think of naomi when i look at her! like it never even occurred to me to compare the two.

and i am also sick of hearing about the next kate moss. lily cole?! lazy journalist is right. i always think that by "next kate moss" the author means "the next successful shorter model." (haha and...i don't want to hear about that because...i'd love to be the next kate moss in that case :innocent: :lol: ). i mean if a girl who was a bit shorter than the typical model (5'6, 5'7 ish) became very successful, was white, and had some personality...then yes i think the "next kate moss" description would be apt.

but that just doesn't seem to happen...it seems like every time they announce the new kate moss their career fizzles in about a year. i think one model i have heard described as a possible "kate moss" was named susan, purr, but i forgot the last name...sorry!

and rochasfille is absolutely right: we still have kate...so the search for the next kate moss need not be so urgent!

Better for models to be individuals...I feel slightly shamed by the detailed analysis Elschic111 left above but that's my two cents.

This is definitely a phrase that's thrown around WAAAY too lightly. By saying someone is the 'next Kate Moss' in what respect? Her looks? Her ability to make it to the top with her height? Her status as a style icon? Her lifestyle? What do they mean???
But I can only think of one contender looks-wise - Felicity Gilbert has a similar stature and feel to Kate Moss.

Didn't they also say that Mona Johansson (sp) was the new Kate Moss when she came out?

Its such a vague term to say "the next Kate Moss" but I think what it means is the next one to really captivate the way that Kate did and does.

But the way I see it no one is bigger than Kate herself right now. For instance I just got the September issue of W and she dominates the entire magazine, she is in about 10 different campaigns and also had a spread.

So whoever the "next" model is, they will probably not come until Kate is off the scene or her popularity declines (which never seems to happen)

As far as the most popular/most used up-and-coming models...I would say Gemma, Lily Cole and Stam.

TheGlassAngel said:
Didn't they also say that Mona Johansson (sp) was the new Kate Moss when she came out?

Mona actually does resemble Kate a bit, but she still exudes a totally different appeal...

Solange was also dubbed the next Kate Moss by some sources :lol:

foxinthesnow said:
:angry: The next Kate Moss...... The Next Naomi Campbell...... It is lazy journalists who cannot think of better descriptions and it can be a kiss of death for the model who is meant to live up to this and invariably can't or doesn't. I don't even remember the girls you are asking about :innocent: :blush:
ditto! it's really annoying how they say that!

No one can be Kate Moss. She is an individual. Just as no one can be the next Naomi or Linda or Gisele. Every great model has a moment all her own, to be merely a shadow of another person is not greatness its imitation. I like my models to be exactly themselves.

Didn't they say Bette Franke was the next Kate Moss as well?
That whole "the next [insert top model]" thing is quite ridiculous, IMO.

^
They said it about Anne-Marie Van Dijk too, but its just the soft young look she has, there is very little true resemblance.

i don't think there will be 'a next kate moss'. she's just too unique...

there will be no new Kate Moss but there will be Lily Cole,Gemma Ward,Jessica Stam and etc...they all have their own and unique beauty and i think it is unfair to compare someone to Kate or another supermodel because it stops coming new succesfull supermodels

hmm...I know that this thread was originally about a now long-forgotten model, but I'll respond to the "face of the decade" part of the post.

I think Adriana Lima is the face of our decade, for better or worse. Lots of guys want her, lots of girls want to be her (even on tfs...), the majority of her work (not her, herself, mind you) reflects America's obsession with overt, f*ck me sexuality. Whenever I see the freaky but incredibly popular Bratz dolls, I immediately think of Miss Lima: those exotic, sex kitten eyes, and the large pout...and don't forget the sexsexsex. For lack of more famous models, and Gisele hardly counts because I don't see her symbolic of anything except her boring hipless self, she exemplifies the spirit of our now.

...at least in my opinion :smile:

hmm...I know that this thread was originally about a now long-forgotten model, but I'll respond to the "face of the decade" part of the post.

I think Adriana Lima is the face of our decade, for better or worse. Lots of guys want her, lots of girls want to be her (even on tfs...), the majority of her work (not her, herself, mind you) reflects America's obsession with overt, f*ck me sexuality. Whenever I see the freaky but incredibly popular Bratz dolls, I immediately think of Miss Lima: those exotic, sex kitten eyes, and the large pout...and don't forget the sexsexsex. For lack of more famous models, and Gisele hardly counts because I don't see her symbolic of anything except her boring hipless self, she exemplifies the spirit of our now.

...at least in my opinion :smile:

I disagree, personally. Adriana Lima hasn't influenced the fashion industry, she isn't a muse of anyone etc. I just don't see how you could say she's is the face of our decade. Some people don't even know who she is or have seen her. I can't see her as important and special enough as a model to possibly be considered that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReneeJ
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->