The Row Pre-Fall 2013

Thefrenchy

Reaction score

No overt themes or artistic talking points here. Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen held their pre-fall collection to the gold standard of quiet, wearable luxury they trade on with a lineup anchored in classic elegance and impeccable fabrics. Their familiar palette of black, gray, camel, burgundy and pale pink was worked on lightweight layered looks, often in oversize proportions balanced by graceful lines.

A perfect example was a cashmere coat that was slit up the sides and came in two versions: one pink, one camel. There was a balance of structure — a cotton scrub-like top in a tonal print inspired by hops, the plant used to make beer — and fluidity, evident in a silk blouse with pique cuffs. The designers also wove subtle tuxedo accents and obi belts into the mix.

They noted that developing their handbag line was a big focus, pointing out a few new styles, including two totes, and an update of their small shoulder bag with a rose gold chain-link strap inspired by a watch.

- WWD.COM

Sometimes I find it really hard to believe the Olsen twins design this. Does anyone have any honest intel in regard to their actual design process? This is nice, if not full of obvious references to other designers works, and very modern. Feels luxurious, but as though I've seen much of it before, just shown and styled here in a different manner...

^ Exactly what I was thinking. Their collections are quite beautiful and luxurious, and this one appears to be no different. It's definitely hard to imagine the Olsen twins designed this.

^me too. i just want to have it on me right now and snuggle up in it. it looks so chic and elegant but also very comfortable.

Sometimes I find it really hard to believe the Olsen twins design this. Does anyone have any honest intel in regard to their actual design process? This is nice, if not full of obvious references to other designers works, and very modern. Feels luxurious, but as though I've seen much of it before, just shown and styled here in a different manner...

With some society designers, their role often consists of a designer, or a number of designers, designing all of the clothes, the clothes then being presented to the "designer" and them saying yes or no.

I like this, but it feels a little flat, and still a little Celiney.

But they've always been all about minimal, no? I'm sure the twins have been acustomed to design and probably paid good money to be capable of tailoring luxurious clothes. I don't think just because someone is titled a "Celebrity Designer" should not be below that of a common designer (I'm not saying that this is what you meant in your post by any means). And again, minimal is super easy to do, but colors and styling are what take it to that whole new level of minimal, I think the twins have that down to a T.

And again, minimal is super easy to do

I disagree, I think it's the hardest because once you strip everything down all the flaws are revealed, everything; the construction, the proportions, the fabric, everything, muse be perfect.

I disagree, I think it's the hardest because once you strip everything down all the flaws are revealed, everything; the construction, the proportions, the fabric, everything, must be perfect.

Exactly, this has been my continuous dilemma as a minimal apparel designer, when there are no embellishments to distract your eye, suddenly that mildly wonky stitchline becomes the main focus on the garment.
Of course, if you can revolutionise the cut, or the fabric, it can change everything - look at Cristobal Balenciaga, or Phoebe Philo's arrival at Celine, they literally lead the way for everyone else, and completely without fuss.
Of course, it's so easy for garments to look similar because of this, and this is why in every thread of every designer at some point someone has said "This looks like Celine."

I disagree, I think it's the hardest because once you strip everything down all the flaws are revealed, everything; the construction, the proportions, the fabric, everything, muse be perfect.

*must

Exactly, this has been my continuous dilemma as a minimal apparel designer, when there are no embellishments to distract your eye, suddenly that mildly wonky stitchline becomes the main focus on the garment.
Of course, if you can revolutionise the cut, or the fabric, it can change everything - look at Cristobal Balenciaga, or Phoebe Philo's arrival at Celine, they literally lead the way for everyone else, and completely without fuss.
Of course, it's so easy for garments to look similar because of this, and this is why in every thread of every designer at some point someone has said "This looks like Celine."

That's where I wanted to go with what I said, I mean the problem with minimal design is how easy it is to knock off, but once you add in luxurious fabrics and leathers, colors, structure, it becomes a totally dynamic garment and translates to being more distinguished than the people who are knocking it off.

What a gorgeous collection. Extremely refined and subtle. The use of fabric is fantastic. Once again they concentrate on a very limited color palette which enhance the beauty of the collection without ruinning its muted and minimal aspect. I love the printwork work which is adds a little romantic touch, the delicate feeling of the silk and even the fur is very appealing as well. I also love how they mix the Kimono inspirations with those very retro silhouettes and give a little modern twists with those loose turtleneck or the shirts for example. Talking about silhouettes, they did a great job really. The play with proportions and how they try to flatter the woman's body by almost disguising it through the cuts and shapes is fantastic.

The collection looks expensive and luxurious, it is detail oriented.

I don't know where to ask this...do the twins not have a thread in star style anymore? Anyone know where I can find it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abzal17
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->