The Sound of the 70's

SPRINGSTEEN, PATTI SMITH, Captain Beefheart, Zeppelin, Bowie, Doors, SLF, The Stones, Aerosmith, T-Rex, Creedence Clearwater, Cat Stevens, Paul Simon, Donna Summer, Blue Oyster Cult, Television, Smokey Robinson, Van Morrison, Rod Stewart, ... everything that I am is the 70s because of the artists who were either emerging or producing their best work in that decade. The 80s onwards were vulgar (with exception). The 60s and previous to that weren't cynical enough. I am not a Pink Floyd fan though, I have to say.

Oh and Dazed And Confused... the best film that conveys the stasis and disillusionment of that era.

Ooh, I think I might check that film out, SiennaInLondon. :smile: What kind of film is it? Like drama or documentary?
And great artists you listed. Although, wasn't the Doors more like the 60s? I think Morrison died in the early 70s...
I seriously love the 70s. The music was so full of attitude, energy, and rawness. Very naked like. Television and Patti Smith are by far my favorites. Although I love Bowie, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Talking Heads, The Clash... the list goes on FOREVER.

Richard Hell :heart: !! Talking Heads :heart:!! I am yet to feel total Clash love though. They are just not quite right for me. The Doors were 60s but their sound was darker and fits more into the 70s mood than that 60s optimism. And I WAAAAAY prefer 70s Dylan to 60s Dylan... which I suppose makes me a bit of a philistine :lol:

The film is actually a Linklater film (though much better than the deeply annoying School Of Rock). Don't expect much of a plot... just a feel. It has pre-fame Ben Affleck, Matthew McConaughey, Milla Jovovich and the beautiful Jason London.

Any other 70s film recommendations guys? I guess footage of the Rolling Thunder Revue is pretty essential. I have never seen Sergeant Pepper... should I bother? Beatles aren't a big part of my life. I think it has something to do with growing up next to Abbey Road studios and being delayed on my journey to school when the ******* on the crossing blocked the road!

And Rollagaspar, Patti Smith isn't even human, she would be phenomenal with or without the 70s. I still can't believe I have seen her in person singing People Have The Power and biting into 'I haven't f*cked much with the past, but I've f*cked plenty with the future'

Beatles aren't a big part of my life. I think it has something to do with growing up next to Abbey Road studios and being delayed on my journey to school when the ******* on the crossing blocked the road!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And Rollagaspar, Patti Smith isn't even human, she would be phenomenal with or without the 70s. I still can't believe I have seen her in person singing People Have The Power and biting into 'I haven't f*cked much with the past, but I've f*cked plenty with the future'

Ah, I envy you!!! I really hope I see her perform one day. Everyone says she has such amazing presence live. She has so much power, emotion, and energy just on record, so I imagine she must be very entrancing in person.

As for movies, I really haven't seen many films depicting that age. I did really like the film "Almost Famous". It's set in the 70s, but it's not exactly about the "Blank Generation" scene. It's more about the decline of arena rock like Led Zeppelin and all that. I'm not very interested in those bands, but the film is still one of my favourite movies of all time because it's very moving (and also because i've kind of daydreamed about being a jounalist...) :P

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't funny! And there was the sight of Paul and Heather wandering around like bag people picking up rubbish on the street like the great samaritans they are :sick:

Jefferson Airplane/starship( cos ov they changed name half way thro 70's), the clash, the sex pistols, adam ant, bowie, blondie, the doors, jackson 5, rod stewart, donna summer, diana ross, meatloaf, pink floyd,queen,iggie pop, the rolling stones, the who, patti smith, Siouxsie and the Banshees,New York Dolls, undertones, Ramones, ac/dc, aerosmith, black sabbath,led zeplin,

To name but a few(only ones i could think of, off top of me head) .... not a massive fan of 70's tho but open to all ideas .. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ ok some of them were probally more popular in the 80's but were starting out in the 70's :smile: :wink:

Any other 70s film recommendations guys? I guess footage of the Rolling Thunder Revue is pretty essential. I have never seen Sergeant Pepper... should I bother? Beatles aren't a big part of my life. I think it has something to do with growing up next to Abbey Road studios and being delayed on my journey to school when the ******* on the crossing blocked the road!

try living in liverpool were they are rammed down ur throat 24/7 ... seriously statues everywere, buskers who insist on cos they r in the pool they must sing bloody beatles songs, passing buses with penny lane on the front to hear loads of tourists point etc., museums, people selling memorablilia in the toursity shops :(, its like big bloody shrine to the beatles lol does my head in proper style ... even the bloody buses have beatles sh*t on them atm :( :(

I feel your pain Becky. Were they that good? They made good pop but so does Britney Spears. You do lose me at Queen though. I can't stand Queen at all. Adam Ant, Meatloaf, Siouxie and Blondie are more 80s phenomenon to me though as you say they started in the 70s. I am not a fan so I don't know where their best work lies. For example most laymen would think Springsteen was an 80s artist because that is where Born In The USA came. But if you ask a true Bruce fan like me, his four best, his first four albums were released in 1973, 1975, 1978.

^^ seriously i can remember once loosing it and screaming i hate the beatles ... right in the middle of mathew street lol seriousl it was like commiting suicide lol ... people properly and promptly turned on me .. and i had to run so fast lol ... to prevent my self being killed by a mob of american tourists lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chanel49
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->