The Trench

FunkyDiva

Reaction score
Is it just me or are women having trench OD right now. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing I love more than a crisp, traditional trench but ease up. I hate when women taking something so classic and treat them like a fad by replicating each other. I was sitting in front of the window at a Starbucks for 30 minutes and literally counted 38 women in mid-length trenches (had nothing better to do). Now, of course I do live in NY and I was right outside of a busy train station, but c'mon.

well...since every damn magazine in american and possibly the world has done at least one piece on 'the trench' this season...it's not surpriseing that the sheep would all run out and get one...i'm currently working on keeping my best friend from buying one, but i think she's gonna cave when i'm not around...

contrary to popular belief...not everyone looks good in a trench... :innocent:

I havent seen a lot of people in trench coats but i had my eye on a pretty pink one from Gap. :flower: :heart:

i don't think the trench coat is strictly a fad bc on any rainy day in new york almost everyone has their trenches...they are pretty much a staple. now making the trench covetable and fashionable is recent, but i think the emphasis on outerwear has been building since the ubiquitousness of jackets (boleros, et. al) and blazers.

I agree, the trench is a staple. I'd wear one without hesitation. When my current raincoat falls apart in a year or two, I might buy one. Mine is 4-5 years old now, I think. I actually wear things out, I don't replace them every season... I might buy new stuff, but I don't throw out the old stuff.

But of course, when something really basic becomes fashionable everyone will wear it. Those who could not care less and those who could. :innocent:

Some raincoats look truly awful.. especially when they're really bulky :yuk:

I just bought one the other day for a dollar, it looks very similar to the Burberry on page 25 of the spring catalog, only longer. And it swings. I'll take a picture sometime. :D

:lol: well add me to the list of new yorkers wearing a trench coat... I have 2, a denim one and a simple khaki one.

It's my inbetween season jacket... but so practical :heart:

Ive had trench coats for years. I love them... Im not falling this trend I just seem to be stuck in the middle of it since I have really never stopped wearing mine lol.

Whats really crazy though is WHY I cant find the one Im looking for with this crazy trench craze going on!

I want a light stone color one thats double breasted with a tie belt (without the buckle) & I cant find one like that anywhere. :wacko:

Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 11:57 am
well...since every damn magazine in american and possibly the world has done at least one piece on 'the trench' this season...it's not surpriseing that the sheep would all run out and get one...i'm currently working on keeping my best friend from buying one, but i think she's gonna cave when i'm not around...

contrary to popular belief...not everyone looks good in a trench... :innocent:
Taking a stroll downtown here, I see so many women with trenches on as well. The thing is, half of them look ridiculous in them because they chose to buy knee length trenches which actually almost drags down to the floor simply because they are not tall enough to wear them. So in the end, they look like little black and white dwarves.

Wish they could've gone with another style, a shorter one preferably to match their height.

Everyone knows that the trench is a staple and has been since forever, but the colorful, printed and embellished ones are in for a trend. But if ppl are smart, they will get a classic one for the future while so many styles are out and a trendy one to walk around in right now. I know I want this lilac one by Perry Ellis. SO CUTE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Going through some of the pictures and I found this one of Mia Farrow.
So good! B)

Attachments

• mia.jpg
    mia.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 368
i never thought about it before but androgeny really comes into play with trenches...it's doing a classically mannish coat and adding feminine touches...

Attachments

• 100126981.jpeg
    100126981.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 42
It is a staple and when it's is rainy in NY, what do you expect? :wink:

I think a trench is for covering-up due to weather, chilliness et all so I, too, don't like the idea of making it trendy, printy, like what is in worn inside it. Sure it can have design, but, I don't like the idea of treating it like a dress, shirt or skirt. IMO.

Originally posted by ignitioned32@Apr 29th, 2004 - 3:28 pm
It is a staple and when it's is rainy in NY, what do you expect? :wink:

I think a trench is for covering-up due to weather, chilliness et all so I, too, don't like the idea of making it trendy, printy, like what is in worn inside it. Sure it can have design, but, I don't like the idea of treating it like a dress, shirt or skirt. IMO.
ditto IGNI! :flower:

even though i bought 2 great trench coats: one in black(Zara) one in white (Topshop). i dont like the trendiness of it..
there is no point if the fit isnt right etc... :doh:
some people think: "hey trench is back in, let me dig up my old burberry from the 80s"
i say: "no no, please no! trench okay, but it should fit you.. also on the shoulders"

i like the snug, longish fit :blush:

Definately a staple!
I have two myself. My point is that when publications hype this "the year of the trench" or "The season for Little Black Dresses", people tend to treat classics like fads and it's annoying. Throw on a trench over anything - I mean anything, buy a trench in yellow cow print, whatever. It kills the appeal.

Im wondering whether i should still get the one i had my eye on...its waist length with a belt to nip in at the right places, i think a long one would make me look silly since im so skinny :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mooncholly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->