The Unpublished Shots Thread

Editorials Never Published

A thread for those shoots we heard about, maybe even saw behind-the-scenes photos of, that never materialized... Below are the shoots I can recall, and all are for US Vogue.

In April 2013, Daria Werbowy was shot by Mert and Marcus in Venice:

dariafiles

In the documentary "The September Issue," Raquel Zimmerman and Lily Donaldson did a shoot that Anna disliked. The editorial was reshot, this time in a studio with Caroline Trentini jumping with cameramen.

My screen captures, The September Issue

Maggie Rizer was shot by Annie Leibovitz in August 2014 for US Vogue, according to an interview with Maggie.

What do you have?

That Raquel and Caroline ed had been published actually in Vogue Nippon I believe. But I can't recall the exact issue now.

In the documentary "The September Issue," Raquel Zimmerman and Lily Donaldson did a shoot that Anna disliked. The editorial was reshot, this time in a studio with Caroline Trentini jumping with cameramen.

What do you have?

Wasn't there one with Hilary Rhoda and Chanel Iman in this documentary as well? Looked like it might've been photographed by Demarchelier or McDean. I recall it was styled by Edward, and Anna canned it.

Actually I think this thread is a very interesting topic. I think we could even broaden it to include editorials which were supposed to be for certain publications but were canceled and then got published in other publications. In this case, we can guess by the photographer and stylist (e.g. usually Grace Coddington and Tonne Goodman).

Wasn't there one with Hilary Rhoda and Chanel Iman in this documentary as well? Looked like it might've been photographed by Demarchelier or McDean. I recall it was styled by Edward, and Anna canned it.

Warming Trend
Angela Lindvall, Chanel Iman & Lily Donaldson
Photographed by Steven Klein
Backstage Photographed by Robert Fairer
Styled by Edward Enninful
Hair by Samantha Hillerby
Makeup by James Kaliardos

source: scanned by MMA

It was published in US Vogue August 2007. Only Hilary Rhoda's shots were killed.

I wonder why Daria in Venice got canned, you'd have thought that even if the results looked bad, they'd have photoshopped them into slick oblivion, and besides, the city always works its own sort of magic as a backdrop.

There's another one of Natasha, Karlie and 2 other girls for US Vogue as well which haven't seen the light of day. I'll try to look for it.

There's another one of Natasha and Constance for US Vogue by Craig McDean. It used to be on Art & Commerce.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lisa Eldridge posted this unpublished Stella Tennant for Vogue UK cover this morning:

2gsfupl.png

instagram/lisaeldridgemakeup

Lisa Eldridge posted this unpublished Stella Tennant for Vogue UK cover this morning:

Thanks for posting this, HA! It looks very much like Linda Evangelista's iconic cover for Harper's Bazaar. The very first shot, and the one with the "x" wouldve been perfect.

I had never seen the unpublished edit from The September Issue! I have to say it's a lot better than the Trentini studio edit that Anna went with. Add that to the fact that Anna also cut out THE best shot from the Miesel editorial!!

^I thought that was a good decision - the image is very pinky and frothy and isn't coherent with the rest of the editorial.

(But I know we can all agree that it is disappointing the shooting of the editorial wasn't featured in the documentary! Does anyone know if the doc crew filmed Meisel?)

Also, this Lara Stone/Testino/Tonne Goodman ed was featured in Vogue China earlier this year. Clearly it was originally shot for US Vogue (as Tonne only works with them)
http://visualoptimism.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-big-blue-lara-stone-by-mario.html

^I thought that was a good decision - the image is very pinky and frothy and isn't coherent with the rest of the editorial.

(But I know we can all agree that it is disappointing the shooting of the editorial wasn't featured in the documentary! Does anyone know if the doc crew filmed Meisel?)

Also, this Lara Stone/Testino/Tonne Goodman ed was featured in Vogue China earlier this year. Clearly it was originally shot for US Vogue (as Tonne only works with them)
http://visualoptimism.blogspot.com/2015/01/the-big-blue-lara-stone-by-mario.html

Meisel would not allow it. He's a bit of a recluse.

Agree with you. The rest of that edit looked very stark, and the binned shot like something fairytale like. Also, that edit with Testino and Lara also featured in Dutch Vogue as well. VI published one of Tonne's cancelled edits in their Dec 14 issue. It was shot by Klein, starring Joan. Vogue Brazil had at least two others, also from the Tonne/Klein/Joan pairing. This is probably just a tip off the iceberg, I'm sure. The amount of money US Vogue throws out of the window is mind boggling. So I guess it makes sense to flog these edits to another magazine who cannot afford, or didnt had the time, to shoot it. I'm surprised nobody wanted to publish Daria's Venice edit. Perhaps the asking price seemed too ludicrous?

Last edited by a moderator:
What a wonderful thread, I love seeing unpublished photos. Also I had no idea Trunk Archive has so many unpublished photos, it's a cool website.

Is this cancelled cover story for December 2003 US Vogue or it was publiched somewhere else? same photographer, same celeb, same season clothes and same make-up artist

and two unpublished cover tries

Styled by Tonne Goodman, hair by Orlando Pita, make-up by Polly Osmond, set by Mary Howard

Only one other photo with her wearing same Chanel HC dress was published inside the mag

celebritypost.ru photoblogs.ru

Renee!! :magic:

Love the first cover try, although it looks very 1996. Maybe it just reminds me of the 'death-warmed-over' September cover with Kate Moss (Anna's words, not mine!).

The main editorial I don't recall seeing in print. Would've been perfect for W though.

I totally get why they ditched this editorial, the images look very flat like Renée was copy pasted with photoshop...

I first read it as December 2013 and thought Renee was Emily Blunt and I was going to be mad that Anna strapped Emily's cover again.

But I can see why they scrapped the photos! Who shot that cover and editorial?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->