Thoughts on Fashion Bloggers

too bad, it seems like college would straighten her out a bit. :P
i hardly think other other students or professors would appreciate her "mean-girl tone and proprietary bossiness".

and who is dumb enough to be rude to the journalist interviewing you?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes, that interview made me cringe. I don't even bother reading fashion blogs anymore. I find a large part of them horribly boing and repetitive... Ironically, I run one myself :D

I really like that girl, I have to say. I like the fact that she's not just saying what's expected...she's idiosyncratic. There just aren't enough willful young women with strange passions out there, but it seems at least she's one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fashion blogs used to be interesting until there was an influx of self-possesed individuals who just blogged themselves away with the most imbecilic of thoughts.

It's rather disturbing to come across fashion bloggers who hardly have a proper aesthetic education or an education at least. I could not believe my eyes when I saw a fashion blogger from Manila (mind you this blogger is famous... does being dense guarantee you fame nowadays in the blogosphere?) cites her favourite books. And this blogger cites Teen Vogue as a book.

This is where elitism becomes a necessity. The internet is a place wherein it's easy to find the most vacuous of things. Being selective is really crucial especially of which fashion bloggers to follow.

Fashion blogs used to be interesting until there was an influx of self-possesed individuals who just blogged themselves away with the most imbecilic of thoughts.

It's rather disturbing to come across fashion bloggers who hardly have a proper aesthetic education or an education at least. I could not believe my eyes when I saw a fashion blogger from Manila (mind you this blogger is famous... does being dense guarantee you fame nowadays in the blogosphere?) cites her favourite books. And this blogger cites Teen Vogue as a book.

This is where elitism becomes a necessity. The internet is a place wherein it's easy to find the most vacuous of things. Being selective is really crucial especially of which fashion bloggers to follow.

completely agree with you. But, honestly, most mainstream fashion mags (female fashion mags, including Vogue at certain months) are pretty vacuous and unneccesary to have...

A lots of blogs especially the one mentioned a few posts back creep me out. I find it really strange when people are so engrossed in a imaginary/fantasy land that their realities begin to suffer. I'm not saying that all bloggers are like that, but the ones that have made a full time career out it make it seem like they get all dressed up with no place to go.

Honestly, most bloggers are beginning to dress alike. Same brands and same styling, it's all meh for me.

I really like that girl, I have to say. I like the fact that she's not just saying what's expected...she's idiosyncratic. There just aren't enough willful young women with strange passions out there, but it seems at least she's one of them.

But I have a feeling she's just acting like that because it is not what they expect. And not because that's the way she really feels.

But I have a feeling she's just acting like that because it is not what they expect. And not because that's the way she really feels.

I don't get that feeling....and anyway, we all have our inner freaks.....what's wrong with letting it show?

But I guess you mean she seems contrived? I'd have to follow her blog more intently to be able to evaluate that....but that interview made me like her more, not less. Because I'm just so tired of the California/Hollywood mentality. No offense....

That Sea of Shoes blogger seems more like a 12-year-old than a 20-year-old.

I tend to believe there is a fashion blog out there to suit all (or most) personal tastes.
Elitism? Haven't we evolved beyond this type of classism?
Many people cannot afford to get an education, yet they still have a right to express or indulge in a passion for clothing and style.

I actually agree with Jane's reasoning for not wanting to go to college, her point about not wanting to rack up debt when she already has a career going is a logical and wise one. Moreover, many intelligent and successful people don't go to college, or even finish high school. However, I think she could use a certain "real world" education where a person's biggest problem in life is not which shoe(s) to bring home from Barneys. Her tone on her blog, and worse her Twitter, was very similar to the girl that was portrayed in the newspaper article -- a condescending, naive, spoiled brat. She is still very young though, what 19?, maybe she'll grow out of it.

Personality aside, I'd probably still follow her blog, but I feel like her style has swung in a direction that doesn't appeal to me. I actually don't think she's contrived, I think she genuinely has eccentric (and I'll even say interesting) taste in movies, clothes, art, etc. but she has become a little too avant-garde for my liking over the past year or so.

I agree with iluvejeisa's point, that at least she's not a mindless cookie-cutter girl who dresses and looks like everyone else, and has these over-thought scripted ingenue answers for everything. ...To me that's a fate worse than being a little snobby.

I find Jane and her mother a bit creepy to be honest ( and that article just confirmed my opinion) but it was actually an interesting read, i think it's fascinating that we got to a stage that some people only live through their online persona. Like they are not "real" if they do not have thousands of people confirming their existence on the internet.

I do not understand the furore this article caused, it is not a negative piece. So what if she does not want to go to college, she does not have to, and earns a lot of money blogging? Actually her reaction to backlash, to me was the worst of it, you do not go happily on TV to promote the article with the writer, and then because people did not like what you said about your sister or your horror of sales, decide to claim the piece is all lies.

I also find it odd that Jane and her mom just sit around their house taking pics of themselves in fancy clothes. Jane lives like she is in a gilded cage. I'm guessing all Jane's high school friends went away to college and have to wonder who she hangs with in Dallas? What does she do all day with no school or work to occupy her time after she's done with the days photo-shoot?

I tend to believe there is a fashion blog out there to suit all (or most) personal tastes.
Elitism? Haven't we evolved beyond this type of classism?
Many people cannot afford to get an education, yet they still have a right to express or indulge in a passion for clothing and style.
but her parents can afford to spend 70,000grand on shoes for her..

My comment was in response to an earlier discussion, not at all to do with Jane. I think I wandered in haphazardly there
:wink:

I'm actually disappointed that Jane isn't going to college. I think it would be a great experience for her and it would add a different dimension to her blog. While many applaud her having these tastes while living in a remote part of Texas, it doesn't work for her social skills. It's easy to have a conversation online and create a persona, but to back it up live and in person is a different story and I think the college experience could've added to it.

To each there own.

^ I totally agree. College is such a different experience and I think it would have been great for her style evolution and writing. Obviously, everyone is different, but it could add a new level to her blog and help her develop.

She's been blogging for so long though, so she clearly enjoys it and if she's doing what she loves then fair play to her.

I'm actually disappointed that Jane isn't going to college. I think it would be a great experience for her and it would add a different dimension to her blog. While many applaud her having these tastes while living in a remote part of Texas, it doesn't work for her social skills. It's easy to have a conversation online and create a persona, but to back it up live and in person is a different story and I think the college experience could've added to it.

To each there own.

That's part of the reason I think she's content to stay in Texas. Unless she goes to one of those liberal arts colleges on the East Coast known to harbor rich kids and socialites she'd really be out of place at a traditional campus where kids are more worried about midterms and finals than high designer clothes. I'm wondering if she doesn't already feel terribly isolated. There can't be too many people her age who have the resources to not work or go to school and can chill with her all day.

I agree her blog would be more interesting from a college student perspective. She could have maybe demonstrated how she stayed true to her style while being practical in a college environment.

That's part of the reason I think she's content to stay in Texas. Unless she goes to one of those liberal arts colleges on the East Coast known to harbor rich kids and socialites she'd really be out of place at a traditional campus where kids are more worried about midterms and finals than high designer clothes. I'm wondering if she doesn't already feel terribly isolated. There can't be too many people her age who have the resources to not work or go to school and can chill with her all day.

I agree her blog would be more interesting from a college student perspective. She could have maybe demonstrated how she stayed true to her style while being practical in a college environment.

Well that's my point. She should go to a place that's not within her comfort zone. That will show you what she's made of. But by being in her comfort zone with her mom answering her emails and booking appointments, how many other challenges could she be possibly confronted with? Not many.

It's just a shame that she has these very particular tastes, and they sort of just exist in this bubble. I would've love to see her take her imagination to the streets.

that article about the sea of shoes jane...
:lol::lol::lol::shock::shock:
it is actually quite scary to read.
she acts like ridicilous little 12 years old girl.
wich is not suprise because she have gotten everything
she wanted in her life.
she just can point finger here and there
and her dad and mom will buy it.

i really think collage would have made her grow up a little bit.
a lot actully.

it also seems like she have zero social skills.

anyway, whatever everyone likes.
but reading this article made me even more happy about my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->