Thoughts on Fashion Bloggers

Discussion in 'Fashion... In Depth' started by seahorseinstripe, Jun 25, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. xjessiex

xjessiex New Member

To be honest, the increasing collaborations sometimes worry me. I feel as though a lot of bloggers are young and naive and don't always know what they are getting into. For instance: a very well known Dutch blogger was given the chance to design a bracelet for a luxury company. Some readers responded that it is an exact copy of an already existing design. She had even posted a picture of the bracelet on her blog in a wish list. When I tried to point this out, I was told she was not aware of the existing bracelet "even though I posted it before". Needless to say, the post has been erased.

I'm sure a lot of bloggers dream of these sort of collaborations. I would too if I was their age. And some of them prove to be excellent business(wo)men, like Elin Kling. But I agree with a lot of people here that the majority of blogs lack creativity and substance. Luckily we don't have to read them if we don't want to ;)

2. tartan shirt.

tartan shirt. New Member

I think good fashion blogs are great. The ones where they show off their unique style but have commentary, or maybe something extra like how to get this look, or this hair etc.

One blog I used to follow religiously said she didn't care about fashion and didn't 'get it'. Now she frequently collaborates with Mulberry and YSL. Which confused me.

I think the major thing that irks me is when bloggers start out they seem to want to interact and have fresh ideas about fashion, but the minute money comes in or a label wants to work with them, then suddenly the comments are cut off and it's all very bland. That - along with it seeming every blogger praising Alexa Chung's style.

3. TheDivinitus

TheDivinitus New Member

Maybe from more optimistic note, there are still bloggers who blog for blogging. Bill Cunningham explained in his documentary why he photoghraphs for free - "if they pay you they own you".

Basically what was already said, getting paid takes away that creative control the blogging was about. I wonder if there should be a term borrowed from the film industry "indie blogger", because "independent" doesn't mean a low budget, star free production anymore.

I keep rejecting any advertising or product placements on my blog, but if a *certain* designer offered me a collab and I agreed, I believe I would still stay true to my ideals.

4. Lolaa

Lolaa New Member

Something I noticed is the similar posing: looking down at your shoes and touching your hair :rolleyes:

5. HeatherAnne

HeatherAnne Well-Known Member

Well written article on the subject:

dailylife.com.au

6. glamrockgal

glamrockgal Member

great thread. I am a blogger too and also reading some fashion blogs- many of them Swedish and I see they promote a lifestyle and some brands that support these bloggers.I am bored of seeing freebies becoming their style so I dont follow any of them on instagram or twitter because they are all reposts.I try to read less popular blogs with great style tastes and I dont read many blogs.I quit reading massive ad like blogs because its no different than reading a magazine.I recently read less popular blogs who have high end style or vintage - thrift style but less popular.Its more inspiring to me.

#426 glamrockgal, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by moderator : Feb 16, 2013
  7. Not Plain Jane

Not Plain Jane Active Member

Did people hear about Suzy Menkes anti-blogger article, particular photo-bloggers? Quite the stir!

From the NYTs

Here's the link with images: http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/the-circus-of-fashion/

8. Not Plain Jane

At Fashionologie, some of the bloggers have responded:

9. glamrockgal

glamrockgal Member

fashion insiders,models (modelsoffduty),fashion directors and stylists pose, get snapped and appear on street style blogs as much as some famous bloggers that I observe.I read so many street style fashion blogs and vlogs.

10. Not Plain Jane

^ I don't think Menkes would disagree; that's probably why she calls it a "circus"?

11. Melisande

Melisande Active Member

Although her tone has more than a little bitterness to it, I kind of agree. Posing is definitely a phenomenon of the times. Children now pose before they speak, you know? And then, the fashion industry makes money off of these people peacocking and advertising these clothes, and hence encourages this behavior...so it's not just the bloggers' fault. I think it can be considered a continuum of the logomania consumer-as-advertiser phenomenon Tom Ford started.

As she says, I love people wearing outrageous fashion for themselves, but this look-at-me culture, which the fashion industry takes advantage of, is very annoying.

But then, it's fun too, to see more people dressed flamboyantly...What I'm really interested in is how it affects the creativity of designers and consumers and society as a whole.

12. LagerfeldBoy

LagerfeldBoy Active Member

Completely agree with Suzy. Take Bryanboy, for example. One of the worst offender of this. Remember that Margiela fur, hoodie thing that was gigantic? It was absurd, flamboyant, and his intention was to garner as much attention as possible.

13. ssgghh

ssgghh New Member

Menkes` article is basicaly a rant. So what if people that dress for shock get more attention. If the editors wanted that kind of shallow attention they could do the same. Unless they do want that kind of attention but do not want to dress up like that, then i realise where their frustration comes from.
    Nobody is stealing the designers limelight because the "shock-dressers" often do wear designers clothes, the only ones whos limelight is stollen are the ones that write articles like menkes´ and they should get over them selves.

14. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

I love her but I think she's getting a little too nostalgic there trying to resist time, sounds a bit like "in the good old days, we listened to..". God knows these people never consisted 100% of intellectuals but socialites too, social climbers, clowns, and other types of attention seekers, they may justify credentials with a blog much to the horror of many (including myself after taking a look at some of these godawful blogs) but you can't really blame them for having sketchy occupations, especially when they're as ruthless in consumerism as the next one (maybe not Suzy but those sitting next to Suzy and whose presence Suzy isn't questioning).

15. kimair

kimair frozen

it was started by tom ford, he just used it to his advantage...
    plenty of designers starting in the late 70s were selling their name, putting it on everything from bedsheets to bags to dishes because they knew the masses wanted to appear to taste because they bought something from "so-and-so high end designer"

anywoo, i found a very interesting article online showing people like miraslava duma, anna dello russo and taylor tomasi hill about 4-5 years ago before the idea of dressing for photographers really took off and it was hilarious...
    they looked like everyone else...

my issue with the article is that menkes seems to only be calling out the bloggers for doing something that everyone is doing, and that magazines and media are playing up...
    did vogue.com have a section 4 years ago of just street style photos from fashion week?

i think menkes is a bit sore over the fact that non-journalists are getting the prime front row seats at shows and they are sometimes the ones photographers fawn over...
    journalists/editors aren't there to look good, they are there to report on the clothes...

16. high maintenance

high maintenance New Member

I just noticed that looking back at some of ADR pictures from a couple years ago, while she always wore runway and to me looked fabulous, now she dresses like a walking billboard for over the top dressing or "peacocking" with the crazy *** hats, and it just doesn't seem authentic anymore the way she used to look. Before she looked like someone who loved fashion, now she looks so desperate and quite frankly too old for some of the shenanigans she pulls. I too think suzy is a little bitter because maybe she doesn't feel as important anymore and she clearly doesn't like the change of the guard, everything should stay the same or peoples feathers get ruffled, Me personally am on the fence about how I feel about bloggers, on one hand I love the exclusivity of fashion, on the other hate it because fashion should be enjoyed and interpreted by everyone, but again I hate seeing Bryanboy in the front row of fashion week when there are people researching, working their hands to the bone, standing in the back of these shows or sneaking in just to get a glimpse of what they eat, breath and sleep and haven't had the opportunity that he has and to me does not deserve. He is front row because he wore a big *** fur hat to get attention? Because he promotes products and freebies on his blog? Than again, it has made it easier to break into fashion and given these same hard working people maybe another angle to get their foot in the door, because not everyone can be a model or editor or know someone who knows someone. My thoughts are all over the place but this whole new era is as confusing as my thoughts

17. glamrockgal

glamrockgal Member

I totally agree with "if they pay you they own you". popular blogs became more ad magazines whoever pays or sends free high end clothes they wear them or write overrated posts on them.Its that magazines are kind of owned by big fashion houses.Its just vice versa too.But I quit reading blogs once inspirational now full of ad posts.

18. KookyQuirk

KookyQuirk New Member

That's very true and also sad. Once you're handed free cloths and bags, how can you still be partial and have an honest opinion and be interesting in your fashion choice? And how can you not praise the person who is now your ticket to glamorous events?

#438 KookyQuirk, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited by moderator Minuet: Mar 3, 2013
  19. LegsXI

LegsXI New Member

^ I agree. If I was in the position of being offered free stuff I'd find it very hard to not accept the stuff :lol: but if you're accepting free stuff who knows what you would choose to spend your money on if you weren't receiving them, that's another thing I don't like about it. You may like and wear that free jumper but if you had to buy it you may have chosen to spend your money on something else(limited money and all that!) so your style and choices are being influenced by the free stuff even if you feel they are not.

20. mishahoi

mishahoi loaded and locked

This is very, very, very, true.

Being a blogger who is often offered free swag myself, I *many times* say "no". One thing, I`m not a style blogger, and another, I just wouldn't be able to wear it without raising eyebrows or feeling...well, ugly in it because it's not my style.

I think "I would never purchase this myself" is at the back of the mind of EVERY blogger who receives something they did not choose.

Then again, if there is a way I can make it work, I might take it. After all, the barometer of a good blogger or stylist (more my forte) is using what you have in your wardrobe to make it "you". That is something that's not so difficult.

I on the other hand do not wear brown or denim. So anything of that nature is immediately a `no thanks` :lol: