Thoughts on Fashion Bloggers

Discussion in 'Fashion... In Depth' started by seahorseinstripe, Jun 25, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. bird milk

bird milk New Member

It's very dangerous to make assumptions about people based on what you read about them in the media.

2. lucy92

lucy92 Administrator

i think its safe to make an assumption after thousands of blog posts...:lol:

i wonder if any of these luxury brands provide bloggers with a 1099 tax form for all the luxury goods they are receiving. :unsure: it is income after all.

3. bird milk

bird milk New Member

Not really, because a blog is not a reflection of the blogger's life as a whole. Fashion is just one of many segments of a blogger's life. I once wrote on my own blog that a blog is not an accurate representation of the blogger's life because it only shows what the blogger wants you to see. It's not objective. Even if it were, my point remains that you can't make assumptions, judge a person or think you know them until you've actually spent a considerable amount of time in their company.

4. iluvjeisa

iluvjeisa clever ain't wise

Well, lets just say I wish every snobby person had taste like hers. It would be a better world.

All fashion personalities build up an outer persona that has little to do with their inner being.

To me, at the end of the day, she has a blog that doesn't contain one ugly image, not one boring image....whoever does the work (because obviously she can't do it all alone) is doing a fantastic job.

5. Thefrenchy

Thefrenchy Active Member

- WWD.COM

6. Thefrenchy

Thefrenchy Active Member

- WWD.COM

7. TianSoFine

TianSoFine Active Member

^It's interesting how much discussion that article caused. Here's a rebuttal from buzzfeed:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/amyodell/fashion-bloggers-make-tons-of-money-from-brands-s

8. educo

educo Active Member

Very interesting article. I think what separates a paid blogger vs a blogger who hasn't been tapped for events and collabos such as the examples listed above is that the paid bloggers, like it or not, have an aspirational quality to their lives (or, at least, they portray it that way) and that's what draws the viewers in. Companies look out for this and they make sure they cash in.

9. maquillage

maquillage Member

The thing that saddens me these days is that so many blogs are essentially only a advertisement/display for the newest clothes and products. It's not about fashion anymore, but about fashion products. Of course sometimes the styling is inspiring, but still, they just display or mix and match the newest products, which functions as an advertisement. I don't even see runway pics or moodboards, just outfit pictures and pictures of clothes they want to have. It's very consumerist and more about shopping than fashion. I don't know if the increasing collaborations with companies are the cause or effect of this, but still I wonder: where are the blogs with ideas about fashion, with an editorial quality in them?

10. letthemstare

letthemstare New Member

As everything else that is done as a hobby

what really can be expected from individuals who doing that on a part time, as a hobby ? 95% will be copy paste information, and only a very minor percentage will produce creative ideas.

In my opinion, bloggers cannot compete with professional media workers that work on full time jobs, who are well educated, and have a budget.

In the beginning of fashion blogging (around 2004) there was a feeling of underground subculture going in the blogs, with a sense of innovation.... Since then, those bloggers got some piece of the Industry cake, showing falsely other bloggers, that there are short cuts into the fashion world and harming by that the whole point of blogging- personal genuine journalism.

But what bothers me the most, is the hypocrisy of the fashion Industry. On the one hand, they know very well how to use bloggers to get some cheap PR, on the other hand, they will show their contempt at the bloggers in every occasion. So the "legitimate" journalists treated nicely because they have the power to determine who will be in the news, the buyers are treated respectfully because they actually paying the money, celebrities also get they share, but bloggers is the free army of 15 years old kids spending thousands on their way to become Rumi neely.

11. ssgghh

ssgghh New Member

Heres my two cents on the topic of bloggers - they have their own medium and can choose what they wish to publish, as well as magazines. I dont see them doing anything printed media wouldnt do. The way they do stuff and finance themselves though can be more or less intelligent, open, obvious or subtle and they can do it for various reasons (actually being passionate about the things they chose to publish do or being passionate about money they earn from it) and i think those things are key to what kind of readers they have.
    And because of the availability of the medium in question (everyone can write a blog) there is obviously going to be tons of bad, bad blogs and just a few good ones (like there is a ton of bad everything else on the internets,actually everywhere...)

12. JunyaSchick

JunyaSchick Active Member

I read a while ago this: "worth-reading blogs are those that are written by someone who has an obsession over something" (no matter the topic)... I think this also apply to fashion blogging. You have to be OBSESSED with fashion on a very deep and crazy way to create something innovative and different, something that others can't find on professional websites, PR people and journalist blogs, etc.

Susie Bubble started like that, with an obsession that developed and turned on her real job after a while.

13. The Stranger

The Stranger New Member

Very interesting point... I've read that a lot of fashion bloggers aren't really into runway looks in the first place. That might explain why? :blink: Of course, monetary incentives are always transparent when it comes to the blogs that just feature "must-have" items

14. ssgghh

ssgghh New Member

I also think Susie Bubble is a strong personality with an interesting style whose articles payed or unpayed feel like she was interested in what she was writing about, knows what she is writing about or bothered to find out, they also feel rounded, with a concept tought trough and written with the reader in mind. I think that is important, not just being crazily obsessed with fashion and writing whatever crosses your mind like the fact that it just did is in some way very important for the people reading. That just bores me.

15. glitterpeacock

glitterpeacock New Member

Chocolate_Love I completely agree with what you're saying. I've been researching blogs online, in particular fashion blogs and haven't been impressed with what I've seen. A lot of outfits look the same - the girls have the same style about them, no eccentricity or creativity. Having a large bank account or a daddy who will buy you designer clothes is nothing to brag about, but it seems that it is the centre point of most blogs. I find it to be a mockery of fashion if I'm completely honest, confirming all the cruellest stereotypes of vanity and emptiness. My favourite blogs are ones where the author tells you his/her opinion - pretty much like we're doing on the 'in depth' forum or at least have sketches they've done on their own. I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste. As I've said before on here, I like blogs for giving everyone freedom of expression but unfortunately to some extent all 'fashion blogs' will be tarred with the same brush.

16. ffashionist

ffashionist New Member

I had the chance to follow the work of two famous bloggers who collaborated with the company I work for and I can tell you for sure that nobody really becomes famous just like that or only because of his/her qualities (looks, style or writing skills). Mostly what you need is contacts from inside the fashion industry, pr managers, maybe an influential boyfriend who happens to be the son of a famous entrepreneur and so on... That's how it works. The others must wait in line for their 15 minutes of online fame

17. ssgghh

ssgghh New Member

^ Were the 2 italian bloggers?
    I also dont beleave in blogs becomming succesfull just like that on their own. I think theres focused hard work and cut troath marketing of all kinds behind all of the sucessfull ones.

18. YoninahAliza

YoninahAliza New Member

When I first got interested in fashion I read blogs obsessively... The Sartorialist, Garance Dore, Susie from Style Bubble, Rumi, Sea of Shoes, Tavi... you name it and I probably read it. But now I find that I rarely check out fashion blogs because they all seem the same. They are hardly unique and seem to be selling products rather then being a platform for innovation and creativity. So I suppose I've become a bit disenchanted with the world of fashion bloggers. I've come to realize that the bloggers I still follow and read aren't just writing about fashion but about other topics as well. Which is why for me, I have so much respect for people like Tavi (I love her online magazine Rookie) and Sasha from Liberty London Girl, because they get that it's not just about clothing. They write about other things as well. And when they do write about fashion it's in a smart way, it's not just like a list of what brands they are wearing. I have also taken to reading a few blogs which look at fashion from a more historical, sociological lens. And I have found that these blogs interest me more then scrolling through blogs with lots of pictures of girls posing and hardly any written content. Sometime's I do come across a blogger who's style speaks for itself but most of the time I have not been wowed with what I've been seeing. I find a lot of them to be really shallow and they don't seem to be embodying what I think fashion is, or rather should be, about, having substance. Great fashion has substance, it's not just fluff, and I think this idea translates to blogs as well.

I find it interesting how blogging has turned from a hobby into a career for some people. Which can be a really awesome thing in some cases. But sometimes it can also be an issue because when do you cross the line from doing this for fun and doing it for a living? Maybe some bloggers can have both of these things, but not everyone can.

#418 YoninahAliza, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by moderator ace_shoe freak: Sep 3, 2012
  19. McClaire

McClaire New Member

I feel like that is the main problem for most people. Fashion blogs are becoming too similar. This is the main reason I don't follow any of them on their blogs,twitter or instagram. They post the same photos from the same parties, the same freebies, the same invites and so on.

20. Werther

Werther New Member

I prefer blogs to magazines more and more often now. This thought came to me when I was flicking through the magazines in the shop./ ugly and uninteresting stuff this month/ Fashion magazines are about advertisement, it slows creativity greatly. Whereas bloggers can post what they like and not worry about the frames and patterns that ads create.