Daniel Lee - Designer, Creative Director of Burberry

Feels like Céline through the lenses of Zara; but with the prices of Bottega Veneta.

Yes, my thought was that it's awfully plain for what the price point undoubtedly is. Better to see something this plain in person ...

Well, it's actually meant to be plain and commercial, I mean it was designed by the design team during the interim period and Daniel wanted to make this a palate cleanser yet he could only do some editing because it was too late to introduce any real changes. I think it's going to be more and more interesting with time, we just have to wait for the pre-fall collection to see what Daniel really wants to do with Bottega.

I like what I see in the photos and what he is saying in the interview. However I wish they didn't use Malgosia. She's great, but every brand or magazine doing this kind of style has already used her in recent years in a very similar manner, with the exact same no make-up make-up, combed wet hair and harsh lightning.

I liked what he said about the Agnellis and about bringing back the more sophisticated, put-together look. I truly hope he will deliver something like that and that he can also make a clear distinction between his past at Céline and now.

Yeezy-esque...all the clothes look basic so far, I don't see anything sophisticated here. Need to see more please.

I will miss those beautiful 50's-style tea dresses and cardigans with embellishment from Tomas...also those baguette style small bags :angel: I respect that he didn't follow trends and sticked with it for a long period.

Well, it's actually meant to be plain and commercial, I mean it was designed by the design team during the interim period and Daniel wanted to make this a palate cleanser yet he could only do some editing because it was too late to introduce any real changes. I think it's going to be more and more interesting with time, we just have to wait for the pre-fall collection to see what Daniel really wants to do with Bottega.

Yeah, I get that. I question whether it's too late when nothing has been produced. There are many collections that have been designed quite quickly. Does anyone want this at the Bottega price point, is the question.

I saw the whole lookbook today, and it's good but not exceptional. The cuts are very boxy, the shapes are neither feminine nor masculine, and some looks are paired up with sneakers, which I find tired at this point. The whole line-up is in black, white and green only, or at least it seemed that way. I'm not really sure the BV clientele will like it, and I don't see this as a Celine substitute - it is way too plain. The only thing I really loved was the new bag, I'm sure it is going to be a hit.

i’m curious as to how this plays out ! I’m wondering if they want to do the next Celine with this , if so I’m not sure how this will go down with the BV Customer.

^ Personally I think there's compatibility there ... I have both in my closet, and the change at Céline has left a gap in the market. It sounds like Bottega Veneta wants to change their target market to go after the same one as everyone else. This sounds more like it would widen the gap than close it. But I completely agree that this pre-collection has little in common with Céline. Who knows, perhaps we're seeing the designer's own (basic) aesthetic here.

i’m curious as to how this plays out ! I’m wondering if they want to do the next Celine with this , if so I’m not sure how this will go down with the BV Customer.
The RTW is only 5% of their sales now. They have a huge opportunity with that gap in the market. Seeing how things are since the announcement of Slimane coming to Celine, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see BV going for that direction.

I don’t think BV has « a customer ». It’s really the type of brand where people just happen to buy clothes when in the boutique. I just find hard to identity that clientele today...

BV need a big refresh when it comes to bags and all.
This new collection is more like a way to introduce something new..

Bottega Veneta's customer tends to be an older woman ... that's what I was referring to. It's a luxury price point, and also a fairly subtle statement that probably speaks to someone more secure in who they are, who doesn't need to blare 'GUCCI,' etc. The clothes are hardly available. They used to be in the boutique here, and they also used to have trunk shows with the complete runway samples. Now the local boutique is accessories only. It's hard for anyone to buy the clothes if they're not in the stores ... but I think it's safe to say these won't set anyone's hair on fire.

Can we update the title to reflect Daniel replacing Maier, please?

Bottega Veneta to Hold First ‘Drop,’ Re-release Sold-out Shoes

The house has been growing its hip quotient under new creative director Daniel Lee.

By Misty White Sidell on September 6, 2019

This summer gave way to a changing of the guards in modern minimalism, as the popularity of Daniel Lee’s new Bottega Veneta seemed to overtake a mourning for Phoebe Philo’s tenure at Celine.

Lee’s first collection for Bottega began hitting stores in May. Shoes from his inaugural collections became ‘It’ products on social media and quickly sold out — spawning an Instagram fan account, @NewBottega, its name nodding to the popular Philo-Celine memorial account, @OldCeline.

The @NewBottega feed was started by Polimoda student Laura Rossi in late-February, just as @OldCeline’s activity began to peter out, with posts stopping in April.

Now with over 68,000 followers, @NewBottega was only the first sign that Bottega Veneta, which is owned by Kering, is gaining a bit of a hip quotient under Lee’s tutelage. This week the brand will conduct its first “drop,” tapping a style of commerce popularized by the streetwear industry.

On Sunday, Bottega Veneta’s New York City flagship will begin selling a large shipment of shoe styles that are more or less sold out across the U.S. Its stretch pump and stretch sandal styles will again become available in black and white, respectively.

Bottega said that the store, located at 740 Madison Avenue, will close for 30 minutes before the start of the shoes’ 4 p.m. release and that long lines are expected. Shoes will be available on a first come, first served basis.

WWD

Indeed, i've seen the sandal everywhere on ig, sick of it already lol.

I don't know which shoes are being discussed here, would love to see a pic :wink:

Am very lukewarm about Daniel Lee after having high hopes.

I thought the whole point of going to a Madison Avenue boutique was to have a relatively quiet, private and luxurious experience. Why would you subject yourself to queueing just to be given the chance to purchase $1000 shoes?

I wonder how Bottega Veneta's longtime clients feel about this. For years it was positioned as the Italian Hermès and now it's turning into a trend and clout chasing brand desperate for insta likes and millenial money.

I don't know which shoes are being discussed here, would love to see a pic.

I believe this is the shoe from Daniel Lee’s debut collection (which has indeed been on Instagram the entire summer, can recall Rosie Huntington-Whiteley wearing a pair:(

o8rqT29f_o.jpg

WWD.COM

I believe this is the shoe from Daniel Lee’s debut collection (which has indeed been on Instagram the entire summer, can recall Rosie Huntington-Whiteley wearing a pair:(

Really? All the hoopla for these ugly things?

bottega-veneta-mesh-heels.jpg

60867240_117658902793274_4504388619793321594_n.jpg

Instyle Australia

^ Thanks for the pix! :flower: Hmm, they look a bit unflattering ... if a well-known model looks like a duck in them, they might not be a good look for mere mortals.

I own several things from Bottega (couple pair of shoes, bag, skirt, various small leather goods), don't know that I can represent the former customer base :wink: But I am interested largely in the classic items, not much in what the new designer has done (there was a pearl grey alligator pouch of his that I liked, but suspect I wouldn't like the price tag). Have not been in the boutique since he took over. I still think the oversize weave looks like those horrible seatbelt bags.

I wonder how Bottega Veneta's longtime clients feel about this. For years it was positioned as the Italian Hermès and now it's turning into a trend and clout chasing brand desperate for insta likes and millenial money.
Tbh, except for maybe some really weird shoes or « edgy » proposition, i find the current offer quite classic or at least timeless enough to appeal to the older clientele.
Yes, the change of aesthetic is radical and less romantic but the offer is quite urban and easy to translate for everyday life.

For me, BV was bit like the brand for the « wife of your older boss ». Of course I have some stuff from them like a cabas, à clutch and one gown from 10years ago...But it wasn’t really the brand on my radar.

In a way, it’s fantastic that in one decade, they have flip the narrative of this brand and turned it into an « old money » kind of brand but I think it’s a welcome refresh.

I don’t think the historic clientele will respond to those extreme shoes but i’m sure the RTW and some of the bags will do great. I’ve seen a bag in linen and leather, very simple, very chic and quite accessible...Like the perfect travel bag.

I think BV will speak to a more active woman. Tomas Maier did well when he tapped into glamour but lately, it was more housewives...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
honeybabe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->