Frida Giannini - Designer

Ugh! I need Frida at a good Italian house.. Ferragamo maybe.

Any news on Frida Giannini's whereabouts nowadays? I cannot seem to find anything recent online, apart from her joining the Save the Children board back in July 2017.

I recently stumbled across Gucci's Spring 2013 collection and was suddenly reminded of how much I used to live for both Giannini's work and Gucci back then. She needs to make a comeback, ASAP!

^Been wondering the same thing! I know many found her uninspiring, but I quite liked a lot of what she did.

She must be taking care of her daughter and enjoying the money she has earned from her time at Gucci.

While i wasn't really a fan of her work at Gucci, she is still needed. I don't think that at Gucci she really had the opportunity to showcase her vision. She was very "scolaire" and followed the footsteps of Tom.

Bottega Veneta or even Ferragamo are houses that could do wonders with her. She understand luxury and to be honest most of the leather bags under her tenure are better than what Michele is doing today. They were really timeless.

Totally agree. She's not a boundary-pushing designer, but she certainly does understand luxury. I can't remember anything she did under her tenure looking particularly "cheap."

Perhaps--if she wanted to return--she could start her own leather goods house, because accessories are definitely her strong suit.

But don't forget, Alessandro was her accessories designer...

I did also wonder what had happened to her too. We need her kind of classic glamour back, in a day full of Demna and Alessandro's. This 'edginess' is becoming tiresome and I want back what she did at Gucci. There is no shame in having something beautiful, instead of this ugly streetwear that everyone is hyping over right now.

Totally agree. She's not a boundary-pushing designer, but she certainly does understand luxury. I can't remember anything she did under her tenure looking particularly "cheap."

Perhaps--if she wanted to return--she could start her own leather goods house, because accessories are definitely her strong suit.

Totally Agree, this tacky thrift store fad has to go. I definitely miss seeing high octane glamour on the runways. While I hate some of Frida's work she did have some great moments like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjmbsFbBfK8

What is Frida Giannini up to? I really wish she would come back to another Italian fashion house. I really miss her work. Her Gucci collections were always the highlight for me during MFW.

I'm not knocking Alessandro's work. He's doing a good job at Gucci.
Frida's Gucci's is still needed, but maybe at a different fashion house...? Her work has always conveyed LUXURY to me, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
She's one of the most underrated designers of all time imo.

I love most of her Gucci work circa 2010 - 2013. She knows how to deliver showstopping evening looks and coats. I particularly love seeing the former offerings in editorials and covers. Her Fall 2011 and Fall 2012 collections presented some of the most indelible fashion moments of the decade.

She may not be the most ground-breaking, or intellectually stimulating designers out there but she sure does know how to invoke desire. I echo everyone's sentiment here that she should've helmed Ferragamo.

Life After the Runway

By Elizabeth Paton Sept. 24, 2018

Frida Giannini
Most recently: Gucci creative director, 2006-2014

Previously: Head of accessories at Fendi

Living in: Rome

“The first year after I left Gucci felt like a type of reconstruction. I had the sensation that I’d been catapulted back to planet Earth. For 20 years I’d lived another reality: in the midst of a huge company, followed constantly by the media. It was as if I’d been in a bubble. I started to have a different perspective. I asked myself how I’d done everything and managed a million things also while having my daughter, Greta.

“I went to the Caribbean and I remember going on holiday in March, something I’d never done before. I cooked, and did a lot of horse riding. Then Greta, who was 3 at the time, caught a terrible virus that caused problems with the left side of her body. At that time I was receiving numerous offers, mainly international ones, but I put everything on hold for a year.

“Since then I’ve done some small collaborations: not just fashion but fine jewelry, too. I was a sort of ghostwriter. I didn’t want my name mentioned and made sure that was part of the agreement. Then I found a new career. I have always done charity work, and did a lot at Gucci. Save the Children called me and I became a board member in 2017. I wanted to fill my time with a different reality. Beyond board work, I have done field trips to Jordan and to Syria; hosted fund-raisers at my home. It’s now a full-time job and I get a lot of satisfaction. I don’t wish to speak badly about the fashion world. I had great experiences and met wonderful people, but it’s very different now to what it was four years ago. There are a lot of D.J.s and fewer designers. I don’t know if I could be part of that world anymore.”

Source: Nytimes.com

“There are a lot of D.J.s and fewer designers. I don’t know if I could be part of that world anymore.”

I wonder if her and Michele still have a relationship. I like Frida as a designer. I think maybe she was a bit stubborn. You could see her stubbornness in the documentary before the Spring 2013 show when Alessandro would suggest things.

^^
No they don't have any relationship anymore. I'm 100% sure what she said was for him...

I feel like she is maybe done with the fashion industry but if she wants to comeback, she can. She is a star and she can afford to do it in her own terms...

With the designers (like this woman at Courreges) we have now, we need her seriously. Frida come back and bring back Italian glamour, some sexyness, clothes that women can really wear.

With the designers (like this woman at Courreges) we have now, we need her seriously. Frida come back and bring back Italian glamour, some sexyness, clothes that women can really wear.

LVMH should call her to revamp Pucci. Sexy easy clothes is her forte. She can do whatever she wants with Pucci. Her only thing will be to work with prints.

I will even give her Givenchy because Clare is a mess. I will replace this woman by anyone else : Elbaz, Pilati, Giannini or Theyskens.

^I love Clare at Givenchy! Frida is truly missed and I totally understand why she wouldn't want to come back now. But Frida revamping Pucci seems such a natural deal. Pucci has been trying to push out accessories but they are such a mess.

I will even give her Givenchy because Clare is a mess. I will replace this woman by anyone else : Elbaz, Pilati, Giannini or Theyskens.

I love Clare at Givenchy. It’s rare to see women designing clothes for real women these days, and Clare is one of the very few doing so among all the big brands. Although her accessories are not that strong yet, I’m starting to see a vision since her first couture collection. Give her a few more seasons and I’m quite certain she’ll thrive.

Also, I am living for the shade thrown by Frida!!! Even though her last few collections were a bit of a miss, at least she put out something different and distinct every season. And she actually created some amazing clothes at Gucci. But given what she said in the interview, I doubt she’d return in the foreseeable future.

I love Clare at Givenchy. It’s rare to see women designing clothes for real women these days, and Clare is one of the very few doing so among all the big brands.
Except maybe for Iris, there are a lot of women designing for real women.
I wouldn’t count The Olsen with The Row in that list but as some would, I’ll count them as one of them.

Clare has a potential but her accessories are not very desirable compared to Riccardo’s. Her clothes are great but this is LVMH.

Frida Giannini Designs Charitable Christmas Jumpers for OVS
DESIGN FOR A CAUSE: Former Gucci creative director Frida Giannini is making a comeback to fashion for a charitable cause, just in time for Christmas.

The designer, who exited Gucci in 2015, has teamed with OVS and nonprofit association Save the Children designing a capsule collection of Christmas jumpers for men, women and kids, which the retailer will start selling from December.

Part of the proceeds will benefit Save the Children to support a number of still undisclosed projects in Italy and abroad. OVS has been a partner of the organization for the past 10 years.

Landing in stores and on OVS’ online shop ahead of Christmas Jumper Day, which the nonprofit has scheduled for Dec. 14, the bomber-style jumpers feature traditional jacquard sweater motifs on the front and the face of a giant winking snowman on the back. They are available in three color combinations: red and white; black and white, and white and red.

“I know the work that Save the Children is doing to save and help children in Italy and abroad, and I’m more than happy to offer my personal contribution to develop new initiatives to raise awareness and money for the organization. Christmas Jumper Day is a funny and creative initiative yet highly symbolic, as it enables people to recognize the tangible sign of support toward the lives of thousands of children who need care, education and protection,” said Giannini, who joined the board of Save the Children in 2017.

Along with producing and selling the special jumpers collection, OVS will also install fund-raising boxes in its stores, throughout December. “We’ve been supporting Christmas Jumper Day since its launch in Italy [2016]. This year’s special initiative makes us particularly proud and we hope to be able to improve our contribution thanks to the sensitivity and generosity of our customers,” said Stefano Beraldo, chief executive officer of OVS.

During her career at Gucci, the Roman designer made social issues a focus both for the brand and for herself. In particular, in 2013 together with Beyoncé Knowles and Salma Hayek Pinault, she and Gucci launched Chime for Change, created with the goal to support women’s and girls’ education, health services and justice. In 2011, Giannini also received the UNICEF Women of Compassion award.

wwd

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->