UK Harper’s Bazaar June 2021 : Francesca Hayward by Jesse Jenkins

Although not really suitable for a cover, it’s a beautiful image. Too bad it’s ruined by the horrible layout.

Was this sponsored by Joy-Dior?

UK Harper's Bazaar June 2021

Stepping Out

Photography: Jesse Jenkins
Styling: Cathy Kasterine
Hair: Hiroshi Matsushita
Makeup: Celia Burton
Cast: Francesca Hayward

UK Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

Wild And Free

Photography: Jem Mitchell
Styling: Miranda Almond
Hair: Bjorn Krischker
Makeup: Natsumi Narita
Model: Jolie Alien

Bazaar Style

Photography: Kristin Vicari
Styling: Tilly Wheating
Hair: Nuriye 'Naz' Sonmez
Makeup: Grace Ellington
Model: Olamide Ogundele

There's a lot of stronger images in the editorial they could have gone with for the cover, particularly the ones actually showing her face...

Beautiful image, but not sure if it's cover worthy. Other images from the editorial could have been the cover.

A beautiful image and quite the risk for a mainstream fashion magazine - especially with a relatively unknown cover subject like Francesca Hayward. I'm instantly reminded of Sarah Jessica Parker by Peter Lindbergh for US Bazaar's March 2009 subscribers cover!

My subscribers cover was the "pink flowers" shot, the third last one in the series.

What a waste to cast a ballerina and eliminate all of her lines with these clothes. It's almost like they found it a 'challenge' (sort of the way plus size models are styled and directed). I know it's just a Harper's Bazaar story that shouldn't merit much thought but in a way it's symbolic of the very constrained conception of 'fashion' that current creatives seem to have: creating ~fashion~ inspired by fashion, aimed at fashion. So boring. They don't bother to become remotely knowledgable about others fields that could inform and nurture their work, let alone explore and adopt these sensibilities to bring more dimension and soul into what they do (the way you would see someone like Arthur Elgort being curious about ballet or indigenous groups).

The art direction of the story is also super trite.

Anyway, she's fronting the ballet I'm most excited about this year (Like Water for Chocolate) so all promotion is good promotion, I guess. :zorro:

HQ Subscribers Cover:

SCAN BY VOGUE28

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsieur Cristobal
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->