Glenda Bailey Departs Harper’s Bazaar *Update June 2020* Samira Nasr Announced As Replacement

The news is definitely too late. Since the print magazine industry is pretty much dead now it just feels like Glenda held on to the bitter end.

Indeed. Imagine what Bazaar could've looked like if they would've appointed Carine as Editor-in-Chief ten years ago right after she left Vogue Paris? Now it's too late for really anyone to save the magazine.

Hearst to name Vanity Fair’s Samira Nasr as Harper’s Bazaar chief, sources say

By Keith J. Kelly June 9, 2020

Hearst is expected to announce it has raided rival publishing house Condé Nast to hire Vanity Fair’s executive fashion director Samira Nasr as the new editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, The Post has learned.

The top job at Harper’s Bazaar has been open since January, when Glenda Bailey shocked the fashion world by resigning after 19 years. She remains a consultant to the brand.

Nasr previously worked for Harper’s Bazaar rival Elle magazine before being recruited to Vanity Fair by editor-in-chief Radhika Jones. At Elle, Nasr had clashed with editor-in-chief Nina Garcia, sources said. Now she will return to the fashion magazine world as an equal, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

Hearst Magazines president Troy Young and chief content officer Kate Lewis had been casting a wide net for the job. Among the rumored candidates had been Christine Barberich, a co-founder of Refinery 29 who was forced to step down Monday from the site now owned by Vice Media amid claims that she favored white staffers and fostered a toxic work environment for people of color.

Other candidates considered for the job, sources say, have included Kristina O’Neill, editor-in-chief of WSJ magazine and former executive editor at HB; Laura Brown, editor-in-chief of rival In Style at Meredith, and Susan Bugbee, editor of The Cut, a fashion-centric vertical at New York magazine.

Nasr could not be reached for comment, but sources tell Media Ink that an announcement is imminent.

Source | NYPost

NYPOST VIA KOKUROX IN THE BUSINESS OF MAGAZINES THREAD

Seems like it's confimed...

Hearst Taps Samira Nasr as Harper’s Bazaar Editor in Chief
Most recently, Nasr was Vanity Fair's executive fashion director, but is no stranger to the Hearst Tower.

By Kathryn Hopkins on June 9, 2020

Samira Nasr has been named editor-in-chief of Harper's Bazaar, replacing longtime editor, Glenda Bailey.

Six months after Glenda Bailey revealed she was stepping down from Harper’s Bazaar, Hearst Magazines executives have finally named her successor.

Samira Nasr has just been unveiled as Bazaar’s new editor in chief — the first Black EIC in the history of the 153-year-old publication. She joins from Vanity Fair, where she has worked as executive fashion director since 2018.

Nasr is no stranger to Hearst Tower, though, having worked as Elle’s fashion director for five years. Prior to that, she was style director for InStyle and has also styled campaigns for fashion and beauty brands including Laura Mercier, Tiffany & Co., Tory Burch, Estée Lauder, L’Oréal, Clarins and more. She began her career in fashion working as an assistant to Grace Coddington at Vogue.

She takes over at Bazaar on July 6.

The appointment of Nasr, who is well thought of in the industry, will widely be viewed as a move to attract a younger audience to Bazaar.

It also comes at a time when the police killing of George Floyd and subsequent nationwide protests have led many staffers to call out media companies for their record on diversity and treatment of people of color. Already, this has led to the ousting of Bon Appétit editor in chief Adam Rapoport and Refinery29 editor in chief Christene Barberich.

In a statement, Nasr touched on some of the changes she plans to make to the fashion glossy, which include making it more inclusive. “Fashion and Bazaar are synonymous,” said Nasr, who unlike Bailey will oversee digital in addition to print. “It is a tremendous privilege to be entrusted with moving this legacy brand into a new era — one that is colorful, inclusive and celebrates the beauty of fashion on every platform — while carrying on the tradition of innovative art direction and great style that the Bazaar audience loves so much. The most beautiful part of working in magazines is the teamwork and creating a community. I can’t wait to get started.”
wwd

Good on Hearst for hiring a woman of colour to take over the EIC position, but quite frankly I'm not anticipating this overhaul at all; this is going to be #vanityfair2018reboot all over again. Nasr's work is the epitome of dull. I don't think I can remember a single editorial she's done. The fashion stories are going to look like a reboot of US Elle circa 2010/11.

wwd

Good on Hearst for hiring a woman of colour to take over the EIC position, but quite frankly I'm not anticipating this overhaul at all; this is going to be #vanityfair2018reboot all over again. Nasr's work is the epitome of dull. I don't think I can remember a single editorial she's done. The fashion stories are going to look like a reboot of US Elle circa 2010/11.

Likewise! I’m all for a POC at the helm of one of the major glossies in the US but I’d chosen almost anyone over Samira. Elaine Welteroth maybe? Like you said, I can’t think of a single editorial I can remember liking. Also stylists don’t make great editors and even her brand credentials are so very dull. I guess no one really wanted the job after all.

I really hope I eat crow though!!! A resurgent Bazaar would be amazing.

wwd

i’m here for a elle circa 2010/11 move. Better than Glenda HB. Could someone post any work of Nars?

She lost me at "As the daughter of a Lebanese father..."

There's nothing wrong with that, but that statement felt like a selling point to SJWs to get their stamp of validation to HBs appointment.

This is like Hearst's "we are diverse" statement, sans the fact that these are the same people who allowed Glenda Bailey to run a predominantly white magazine.

There's nothing wrong with that, but that statement felt like a selling point to SJWs to get their stamp of validation to HBs appointment.

This is like Hearst's "we are diverse" statement, sans the fact that these are the same people who allowed Glenda Bailey to run a predominantly white magazine.

“There’s nothing wrong with that” just don’t shove it in my face right?! And don’t go throwing a parade about it. I can definitely relate to your statement. For all the wrong reasons. Or maybe for the reasons intended. Who knows.

Why are you so angry? I saw Kerry Washington’s IG story about Samira’s appointment and came over here and sure enough, here’s you railing about ‘SJWs’. Twice on the three pages I read.

Samira can be considered white passing. Why is it such a problem for you for her to exert her identity, that she’s proud of, being a black woman? Would you say the same for a woman asserting her sexual identity as a lesbian? Or does only race set you off?

And speaking of race, Samir was Kerry’s first stylist and her friend. And she’s best friends with Tracee Ellis Ross. Maybe those women will finally get their long overdue covers for HB since Bailey’s HB was so white washed. That’s a good thing. Again, why are you so angry?

I don’t think it was for anyone to look for validation as it was to bring light to the topic that America is changing, its evolving, its diversifying.

HB has been stuck in the 2000’s up until Glenda’s departure. Her work was better suited for a little magazine you pick up at the theatre that highlights movie stars and up-and-coming films to see. Glenda persistently recycled the same white-washed celebrities over and over and through poor attempts at looking like Michael Bay at a fashion shoot.

I LOVE that she opened up to us about her family, culture, diverse stance on fashion and politics. Wether this was a marketing stint on the magazines behalf I imagine seeing so many people of diverse background being in awe that they can grow up to be EIC of one of America’s (hopefully soon to be) greatest fashion magazines.

Why are you so angry? I saw Kerry Washington’s IG story about Samira’s appointment and came over here and sure enough, here’s you railing about ‘SJWs’. Twice on the three pages I read.

Samira can be considered white passing. Why is it such a problem for you for her to exert her identity, that she’s proud of, being a black woman? Would you say the same for a woman asserting her sexual identity as a lesbian? Or does only race set you off?

And speaking of race, Samir was Kerry’s first stylist and her friend. And she’s best friends with Tracee Ellis Ross. Maybe those women will finally get their long overdue covers for HB since Bailey’s HB was so white washed. That’s a good thing. Again, why are you so angry?

And I'm the angry one?

You equally lost me from the time you took it upon yourself to police everyone who don't share the same thoughts as you.

Have a good day.

Admittedly, it’s nice to see a mature woman of ME descent head this publication. I’ve always associated effortlessly and timelessly stylish with many ME women— my BFF’s mum comes to mind with her looking like a dead ringer for Jean Seberg and in OG YSL in the 70s. But then again, garish, gaudy and super-sparkly is also associated with ME "style”…. Samira gives me the vibe of the former, although her work unfortunately comes off rather dull/forgettable. Hopefully she will surround herself with a strong talented team much the way that Liz had and this will be the Second Coming of American Bazaar’s “Enter The Age Of Elegance”….

(But I doubt it since this era is all about identity-politics and bland/accessible/relatable/safe fashion imagery. …So zzzzzzz is what I'm expecting….)

Samira gives me the vibe of the former, although her work unfortunately comes off rather dull/forgettable. Hopefully she will surround herself with a strong talented team much the way that Liz had and this will be the Second Coming of American Bazaar’s “Enter The Age Of Elegance”….

Her work for VF is not that remarkable. It's decent and suitable for VF, I'd admit that. However, she'll grow a lot more in HB. Really hoping she elevates the magazine and give Nina a run for her money.

Also, she's one to watch for US Vogue!

More anger and defensiveness over a EIC appointment. Yikes. People are dying over a pandemic and police brutality. Get some perspective.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to Samira’s appointment, I’m rooting for her success unlike the cynical, angry mob on these forums who always look for reasons to put people down instead of lift people up. Or at least give them the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to prove themselves.

And I'm the angry one?

You equally lost me from the time you took it upon yourself to police everyone who don't share the same thoughts as you.

Have a good day.

Hopefully she will surround herself with a strong talented team much the way that Liz had and this will be the Second Coming of American Bazaar’s “Enter The Age Of Elegance”….

Better hope and pray that she appoints a smart creative director because she previously had a lot of control under Robbie, and definitely more under Radhika, yet the talent she surrounded herself with made the mediocrity of her work even more apparent.

This appointment does nothing for me and obviously my opinion of her is solely based on her edits. If they had to appoint someone of colour, why not Solange Franklin?
But who knows, maybe terrible stylists make great EICs because great stylists certainly make terrible EICs. See Anne Marie, Leith.... uhm....Aaaa...lllll.....tttt. :ninja:

^^^ Yes, Andre Leon Talley was an absolutely awful editor.

More anger and defensiveness over a EIC appointment. Yikes. People are dying over a pandemic and police brutality. Get some perspective.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to Samira’s appointment, I’m rooting for her success unlike the cynical, angry mob on these forums who always look for reasons to put people down instead of lift people up. Or at least give them the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to prove themselves.

LOL and before this world pandemic and protests of police brutality, there is war in the ME and gay men are murdered in the ME and Africa... the world has always been an unjust and violent place. And yet we still continue to discuss and be critical of fashion. Being critical of Samira is no different. Or is it just being critical of a POC is off limits???

Good for her. She is very nice in person. Her work is average at best though...

I feel like she will bring Yashua Simmons, her former assistant and former fashion editor at Out. He is really not good at all.

On her work solely, she has nothing to do Harper's Bazaar imagery (not the Glenda one, before her. Glenda was a long and big mistake) but will see.

We all can be surprised. I hope.

I feel like she will bring Yashua Simmons, her former assistant and former fashion editor at Out. He is really not good at all.

Oh God, you should see his edit in the latest issue of Marie Claire. :wacko:
And it featured Nicole Richie, someone who loves fashion and would be willing to experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->