Glenda Bailey Departs Harper’s Bazaar *Update June 2020* Samira Nasr Announced As Replacement

I don't think she was a priority appointment. If she was, she'd be hired earlier. But since they were getting desperate, and considering this decision would be politically greeted, they went with Samira Nasr.

More anger and defensiveness over a EIC appointment. Yikes. People are dying over a pandemic and police brutality. Get some perspective.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to Samira’s appointment, I’m rooting for her success unlike the cynical, angry mob on these forums who always look for reasons to put people down instead of lift people up. Or at least give them the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to prove themselves.
Oh, please....

Putting people down, instead of lifting people up?? You’re the one who just called anyone who has a critique CYNICAL and ANGRY and a MOB.

She lost me at "As the daughter of a Lebanese father..."

There's nothing wrong with that, but that statement felt like a selling point to SJWs to get their stamp of validation to HBs appointment.

This is like Hearst's "we are diverse" statement, sans the fact that these are the same people who allowed Glenda Bailey to run a predominantly white magazine.

What you say about Hearst may be true, but I don’t see anything wrong with Samira Nasr mentioning her Lebanese father. She should be proud of her heritage and she shouldn’t have to hide it or be silenced about it.

Happy for her.
She is chic and friends with Kerry and Tracee...So, a good point for me.

That being said, her work is really average and while I’m waiting to see her team (she needs to keep Cortina around), I’m a bit afraid of witnessing a standardization of American fashion magazines.

Ultimately, they all speaks to the same people with a similar approach. With the fact that US Vogue has absorbed the indie aesthetic and the general lack of strong vision, I’m afraid her magazine might look like what we are seeing already around.

That being said I’ll give her the same amount of time I gave to everybody to define an aesthetic.

‘PS: she better not lie to Andre and tell him that he opened doors for her...

she shouldn’t have to hide it or be silenced about it.

No one says that she should hide it or that she should stay silent about it. If she wants to say it, do it. However, for me, it added nothing to the announcement. I just didn't feel the need to insert that in an appointment announcement.

Frankly I'm not that familiar with her work, but I'm very excited to see what her tenure will be like. I think she could bring a fresh and relevant vision not just for HB but for the magazine landscape. Like others have said, it all comes down to the team she gathers there. Hopefully she'll feature fresh faces on her covers too, breaking from Glenda's endless parade of Jennifer Aniston, Gwyneth Paltrow, J.Lo, Kate Hudson, etc...

No one says that she should hide it or that she should stay silent about it. If she wants to say it, do it. However, for me, it added nothing to the announcement. I just didn't feel the need to insert that in an appointment announcement.
Ah well that is how it is, you gotta make sure your racially pure so you dont get cancelled your first day on the job.

Well I for one am thrilled for Nasr. She's an industry vet with plenty of experience. Sure she's not "edgy". But her aesthetic will be able to relate to mainstream fashion, and bring new life to Harper's Bazaar.

Well there's only one way from Glenda's rock bottom.. ↗️

And honestly, with the unemployment rate at 13%, anyone getting hired anywhere sounds pretty cool, well played Samira!

There's not much triumph to be had in being handed the ashes of a magazine that no-one else wants - and for those hoping for a phoenix-like revival... let's not forget that Hearst were looking rid of Tilberis because they wanted someone more commercial, and they kept Glenda Bailey on for almost twenty years.

She didn’t just mention her Lebanese side, she also mentioned her Trinidadian side. I think it was meant to reassure those watching that she has a broad, worldly, cross-cultural perspective and that they can expect to see that reflected in the magazine under her leadership. Also, since a Bazaar is a middle eastern market, a middle eastern EIC invoking that part of her heritage as a source of her vision for the magazine is kinda cool. Maybe that’s a reach? Lol

I wish her the best and like a few others have said bring in some new faces instead of Paltrow and Hudson all the time. And some glamour please, nothing indie anymore.

And why exactly is that? Because it shouldn’t be about her heritage? Or perhaps you don’t see colour? I don’t mean to imply anything, I’m just genuinely curious. Because to me, in these times in America with everything that’s been going on when it comes to people of colour and immigrants, I think it’s very significant and important that Samira Nasr mentions her heritage (just like she herself points out in the video). It should be applauded. It’s a big middle finger to everyone who thinks people of colour and immigrants are lesser than. And if that’s pandering to SJW’s on Heart’s part, than so be it. I’d rather be on the SJW side of things, than on the ignorant side of things.

I hope they fire Joanna Hillman. Her eds are always the worst.:rolleyes:
I really think she should fire all fashion team and start everything from now on...
who was the fashion before Liz? I’ve never heard about them, that’s what I want now

I have no idea who she is but I wish her good luck. Hope she can turn the magazine to something that I have been wanting to see from US Harper’s Bazaar all these years and that is great covers and content.

It’s time to say goodbye to ‘Fabulous at every age!’

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelkt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->