UK Independent-Kate Moss Goes "African"

I'd be bothered by this image even if it was just 'art' but the fact its being used to draw attention to AIDs....what were they thinking?

cosmocat said:
I'd be bothered by this image even if it was just 'art' but the fact its being used to draw attention to AIDs....what were they thinking?

It just might be a good way to draw attention to AIDs, it is kind of cynical, the pictures of dying African babies don't seem to get as much attention as this cover,so people are talking about it, and they (meaning we) should talk about things as AIDs. Not forget it.

Kate is the most successful model in the world. This is an effort to show how we're "all alike". How could this possibly be construed as inappropriate? And that they don't want to show dying people on the cover? I guess that it is well known that people are drawn to things that make them feel better rather than to things that makes them want to kill themselves.

Louna said:
I have to disagree with you here. You stress that the photo is "nothing but art". Here it seems to me that with "art" you mean really "decoration", in the sense that the image is not supposed to carry any other meaning than an aesthetic, decorative one. However, with the text on the cover and the article with which it is associated, the image inevitably becomes what I really understand with the concept of "art", that is, a cultural product that does carry with it a certain messages, or at least rises questions about what those might be.

I conclude: It is short-sighted to dismiss images as harmless decoration, when in fact they have the capacity of carrying as much information about attitudes and currents in our culture as any words do.
I believe there is a subsection in art called decorative arts but I was clearly not referring to that. I am well aware that art is a cultural product and I was never disputing that it carries messages, emotions and ideas. I even used the word powerful to describe the pic, which should be an hint.
What bother me is when people see a work of art and their first thought is: Is that appropriate? Don't you think someone might be offended? That kind of PC rubbish. That is what I was criticising.

Harumi said:
What bother me is when people see a work of art and their first thought is: Is that appropriate? Don't you think someone might be offended? That kind of PC rubbish. That is what I was criticising.

And rightly so. I think that overdriven PC-ness is really disgusting and dangerous as well. However, without any reflection on the possible underlying implications of an image it is impossible to decide whether the offense people take on it is actually justified or just over-sensitive and vain reaction, the main goal of which is the preservation of a positive self-image ("I'm not being racist by thinking this, am I?").

Which ever we may think is the case here, I think the important thing is to listen to each others' interpretations and be open to understanding why people react to the image the way they do before we make our judgement of the justification of their feelings.

Red is a commercial venture with a charitable outcome, so it makes business sense for them to use a top model in some eye-catching image to get people's attention. Sure, it's a crude image, but it's created a reaction, got people involved and talking, kept the venture at the front of public awareness.

How I feel about it is - I'm sure the person in Africa who might ultimately benefit from our money doesn't care if those medicines were paid for as a result of a white model wearing black body paint on the front of a newspaper. What hurts more? An image of Kate Moss that steps on the toes of political correctness, or a campaign that offends no-one and that no-one remembers about to give their money to? So I consider the shot a sort of 'necessary evil'.

And when I see that image of Kate Moss, I start wondering what sort of world would it be, if the tables were turned, and everyone idolised an African Kate Moss as the height of fashion - and if I were the person who needed her help.

I've grown too used to images of suffering in the world, and somehow, this relatively silly image of Kate Moss has woken me up a bit.

sakina said:
I completely agree with you. I thought it was extremely inappropriate. It's not exactly hard to find an Africans who can model beautifully...

its the political message of all of us being africans, not just those of us with african ancestors, its the new pro-african issues campaign and its been focused on saving kids with AIDS so please try to see this under the correct light

I think, and the Guardian article highlights this, that the main problem is the 'blacking up' of a white woman. I dont know whether this has happened before in other countries but it definately is 'out of favour' in Britain. There will always be a lot of criticism whenever anyone does this, for example the 'Little Briain' programme faced some similar criticism. This isn't really a fashion issue though...

cosmocat said:
I think, and the Guardian article highlights this, that the main problem is the 'blacking up' of a white woman. I dont know whether this has happened before in other countries but it definately is 'out of favour' in Britain. There will always be a lot of criticism whenever anyone does this, for example the 'Little Briain' programme faced some similar criticism. This isn't really a fashion issue though...

And it definitely wouldn't fly in the United States.

^Then they wouldn't understand the point, which is that according to current scientific knowledge we are all "out of Africa", we are all alike, and they are probably saying that this famous face is herself of African origin, like all of us.

I mean, there could be Halle Berry on the cover, but these days that wouldn't mean "Oh so the Independent is talking about Africa today", but could mean just about anything. On the other hand, a famous, eye catching Caucasian face made up to be darker does immediately lead to those kinds of thoughts, especially with the "Not a fashion statement" headline.

Basically, you can read something inappropriate into everything, which numbs the senses towards those things which are truly discriminating/offensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little racist and the cover isn't anything stunning either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malox88
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->