UK Vogue January 2010 : Rachel Weisz by Tom Craig

To me she is one of the most beautiful women in the world, and i always love seeing her on the cover. Would i prefer a model? Of course, but Rachel's beauty is all you need for a simple shot like this. It is however beyond ridiculous that she has NO interview inside, wtf! Its like; oh, we will put a celeb on the cover over any model, because we think actresses, and famous women always sell better, not a nice start for the 2010!

Looking forward to Stone's ed, but thats it, this issue seems unworthy.

Thanks for the snap, and review
McQueezy. :flower:

I'm interested in seeing Lara's editorial, but not much else.

Okay maybe I'm not so interested in seeing the rest of the editorial after all. :lol::lol:

Nothing special and why rachel again ? its getting alittle repetitive , they need new blood in uk vogue SOON !!

I like seeing Rachel on covers...but it does look very housewifey/Good Housekeeping.

The ed review doesn't interest me and Lara's ed looks repetetive unfortunately, Vanderperre's work on location is spellbinding - but in the studio it's nearly always a letdown :(

Lara looks gorgeous, but edit is boring and so is the cover, I feel like I've seen it million times before.

I wish Alexandra would give her readers some credit. Weisz is a beautiful woman and a good actress, but using her as some kind of celebrity bait - an empty promise to lure consumers in - is pretty low. The eds sounded alright on paper, but unfortunately Lara's looks more than dull. To me minimalism is what Vanderperre does best, but the colours there are so tacky.

This magazine is so irrelevant

Bazaar does glamour better than Vogue, Dazed & Confused do eccentricity, i-D often focus on 'british' styles and youth culture, and Tatler is 'smarter'

I was thinking about this today, as I was walking along the road. No matter who we might wish to see as the editor of UK Vogue, that won't alter the editorial staff and the type of person that ends up working there. There's something institutionalised about it, and there is the sense that they're now being left behind by every other magazine.

As you say, Tatler already exists to service the toffs, Elle has the high-end high-street thing going on, i-D and Dazed do street creativity and innovation... Yes, the staff at UK Vogue might have class and connections, but they're being outdone on that and so much more by UK Bazaar, a magazine which sells the idea that a British woman isn't ashamed of glamour. I get the feeling that UK Vogue thinks that glamour is beneath them, a bit grubby, something that desperate people like celebrities resort to using.

If UK Vogue wanted to rebrand themselves as more literary or intellectual, they would really need better contributors than they have at the moment (or those contributors writing better articles). And the magazine could go that direction, if it wanted to, because we can be well-read or high-minded and still love the superficial world of fashion. There's not really any contradiction there - if we're in the hands of a great editor, who can get us to see the art in all of it. And get us excited about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lara's ed is quite disappointing but I'm keeping my hopes high for Cat's ed! Would love to see it and Rachel's as well, she's such a beautiful woman she can do no wrong.

I do really believe that Alexandra is a bad editor personally. She has one of the most influential jobs in Fashion and yet never uses it. I think it's pretty awful that they've only just decided to do a fund to help young and upcoming designers, something US Vogue has been doing for a few years now. Anna may well be celebrity driven, but she's done her best to support the industry and keep it moving forward. Alexandra meanwhile seems on ocassion to have very little interest in fashion. And in my opinion she's driven British Vogue into a rutt that it's not going to get itsself out of for some time.

Bazaar and Elle reguarly excite me, even when I think I'm going to dislike it. I was filled with a sense of dread when Lindsay Lohan was on the cover, and then I saw the subscriber's cover. They both keep me guessing, keep me excited about whats in them, where as Vogue just plods along doing things I don't quite understand. Natalia V naked on the cover... why? Alexandra clearly thought it was shocking and new, but to me it was just a pointless statement. Even when she tries to do something out there...it falls flat.

Sigh. I'd love them to mix it up, change it, do something else with it. Maybe we just need a total staff clear out, and new ones hired!

I think the editor of UK Vogue can only go so far in restructuring the mindset of the whole magazine, due to the type of people it's composed of, and you're not going to be able to get rid of that set-up - not in the same way that you can sack all the editorial staff of a common magazine, then restock and start again with a new attitude. That 'consistency' is probably something that Conde Nast prides itself upon, but it's also what sucks this magazine dry of real excitement.

Is it possible to find an individual who fits the hiring profile of UK Vogue and who is a really gifted editor? That might be a hard find. There are gifted editors, for sure, but would they be deemed appropriate and would the face fit? Generally speaking, it evidently doesn't matter what the face looks like, because Alexandra does get away with being a bit of a bluestocking scruff, but her face fits, in terms of where she's come from, who she is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great that Tom Graig was give the chance to shoot his first Vogue cover.

Lara's ed looks nice.

Well seems like I subscribed to all wrong magazines... hopefully February will be better...

i love Rachel but really she's no model. still i'd rather have her any day than a pixie.
Lara's ed is gorgeous but safe.btw who the hell is alex curran?

^She's the wife of English football player Steven Gerrard and she shouldn't be in this magazine.

Well they did it, They included Alex Curran. I'm never going to buy this mag again. After Colleen and Cheryl, Alex is the last drop.

We haven't seen it yet, maybe it will be good. Positive thinking people! At the very least, if Alex's editorial turns out to be crap, we can laugh and make fun of it. If it's fabulous, then we'll all be happy -- even though the first scenario seems more likely. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->