Umbrellas

102441773.jpg

mine. mine doesnt have any writings on the outside though.
i :heart: my umbrella. it makes me so happy whenever i carry it :smile:

Umbrellas are a necessity here, as it's always raining. I collect umbrellas like any other accessory, and I love vintage ones, although they are hard to find in a decent condition. One of my favourites is a black and ivory umbrella inspired by edwardian parasols :heart: I also love big black men's umbrellas for when it's really pouring down.

Some pictures from ebay:
DSC01248.JPG

My sense is that a lot of men here think it's wussy to carry an umbrella ... I keep one in my car at all times, I've been caught in a few very heavy downpours and it really can ruin things ... I also keep one in my desk if I don't have a parking garage.

:woot: I love this topic!

I too have been realising what an underrated and unnoticed accessory the umbrella is. everytime I go into an antique shop and see a finely crafted umbrella with a beautiful carved wooden or ebony neck, I am shocked that these are not given due credit in the fashion world. I recently came across the most beautiful vintage italian crafted umbrella that was green with a dark mahogany neck. the vision of elegantly strolling down the street with one of those in hand was almost enough to make me pay the hefty pricetag that went along with it.

unfortunately though I must admit the only brolly I own at the moment is a travel-sized red london fog. well it's cheap but cheerful at least. :P

I have a feeling plaid would love this topic... :wink:

thanks, utopia
my very first post :flower:

I love old-fashioned cane umbrellas; as well as their obvious practical value they function as a sort of prop to everyday life, kind of like holding a fan or a cigarette. Last year I pruchased a long tartan umbrella which I got the bright idea of taking along on a nearly month-long trip through London, Scotland and NYC in January/February... and would you believe, I didn't open it once! It must have brought me good weather luck because I evaded an ice storm in my hometown, a blizzard in NYC, and the notoriously wet UK weather with only a couple of drizzles and had the curious experience of standing on a train platform in Scotland, with my trusty brolly, watching the fog roll in as I was on my way out. :rolleyes:

Carting this thing around made me slow down a little and pay more attention... I had to take extra care not to forget it somewhere! Now that I've gotten used to it, I'd rather carry a full-sized umbrella than a folding one-- not only are they bigger, stronger and better looking, but once it's wet the advantage of being able to stuff a small one into your purse is over. :shock:

The jaunty feeling carrying such an item lends to an ordinary stroll down the street has to be experienced to be believed... as utopia can testify :P

Great thread guys...moved to accessories :flower:

I love the old style 'man' umbrellas, I used to see alot of men out with them when I was younger, and my dad still has a black one with a black leather handle :heart: maybe I'll take it one day if I'm feeling androgynous :wink:

I feel like bumping up this old thread - I'm still on the lookout for the perfect cane umbrella...I love the look so much. it just exudes good taste and elegance. ^_^

there's a great site with lots of vintage umbrella pics, http://www.bellaumbrella.com/ ...they sell quite a lot of them as well. if only I could justify spending $75 on a brolly, I would so do it. :ninja: check out the lucite handle on this vintage one from the 50's :heart:
568cat6f.jpg
568cat6h.jpg

also from the same source, a pretty plaid one from between 1930-1940, complete with bakelite handle.
430cat5f.jpg

and something a little more feminine...
563cat7f.jpg

I also came across this a gorgeous vintage auburn coloured one from ebay...
DSC_7689.jpg

how can these not inspire?

Utopia, I LOVE the ones you put up! Especially the feminine one with that flower pattern. I agree, not many people use umbrellas anymore...Especially men. But sometimes I see older men (seniors) with umbrellas when they are dressed up and they look so distinguished.

I only use them when it rains. can't see the point of carrying them around for nothing..

thanks for the link utopia...
cool resource...:flower:...

i love umbrella's...
i have a blk/red pld burberry that is one of my prized pssessions...
they don't make it anymore...

*it broke a couple yrs ago and i couldn't bear to part with it, so i had it repaired...
and i also got a great paul smith one as a back up...
^_^

urd said:
I only use them when it rains. can't see the point of carrying them around for nothing..

well it's not for nothing when you live in a rainy climate. :wink: there is a lot of logic in investing in a really nice and stylish one, like softie's burberry one, if you live in a place where it rains enough to justify.

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone here use their umbrella during the snowy weather?

For men the only umbrella color is black.
The best umbrellas are supposed to come from James Smith & Sons LTD in London, although I wouldn't throw a Swaine Adenay & Briggs out of a leaky cab.
Something I find fasinating is that when your buying a custom umbrella, you have to tell them the length. It makes sense that a basketball player would want a longer umbrella then a jockey, but before doing some superficial research on this, I'd never considered that umbrellas come in more than one size.
When asked about the John Steed sword umbrella (The Avengers) Smith's manager said
"We don't place a great deal of emphasis on sword umbrellas, We don't want to attract the wrong sort of people"

A great umbrella is a truely tempting toy.

Godot said:
"We don't place a great deal of emphasis on sword umbrellas, We don't want to attract the wrong sort of people"

:ninja:

my search for the perfect umbrella is turning into a full-blown obsession. it's being heightened by the fact that I've lost two umbrellas in the past two weeks due to being blown inside out too many times (scottish weather...:angry:)

the problem is that everytime I find one that is aesthetically perfect, it's either too cheaply made or too expensive. I wish there was something somewhere in the midde. I'm seriously contemplating this gianfranco ferre one from http://www.brolliesgalore.co.uk ...I love the long, nimble look of it. it's a bit expensive though, and the diamonte tie band is a bit blingy for my style... :doh:

pic_D_tennis_M.jpg

After reading this thread, I posted over at British Blade Forum and asked about a quality umbrella. These guys live in the UK and if anyone should know where to get a great umbrella, they would. I was hoping for something really well made with a bamboo handle. They directed me to Smith & Sons. I already know they were supposed to be the best, but I was hoping for, you know the same thing only cheaper. Called them & umbrella is due before Thanksgiving. Will post pics and reveiw.

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/

what do you think about this one? i like the shape and its available in blue and green.
1b_1_b.JPG

ae_1_b.JPG

kindi said:
what do you think about this one? i like the shape and its available in blue and green.

OH! I dig it! Very unique. Where did you find it :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->