Unleash Your Inner Ancient Greek

runner

Reaction score
Unleash your inner ancient Greek
By Dimi Gaidatzi
Published: May 14 2004 17:58 | Last Updated: May 14 2004 17:58

From Brad Pitt, imminently rampaging across screens everywhere as Achilles in Troy, to Colin Farrell as Alexander the Great in the forthcoming epic, the August Olympics in Athens, Celine's new "Olympic" mini-collection, Tod's Olympic shoe line, and Giorgio Armani's Faces of Sport book, it seems everybody is ready to unleash their inner ancient Greek. After "two decades of stagnation", as fashion features editor of Greek Vogue, Sandy Tsantaki, says, Greek designers are back in style. This summer, all retail roads lead past Olympus.

"Greek designers now feel that there's a possibility to go further and be more ambitious," says Tsantaki. "The timing is right."

Front and centre among them, of course, is Athens-born, London-based fashion designer, Sophia Kokosalaki, who is designing the costumes for the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics. For Kokosalaki, Greek style is all about trying to avoid the obvious. "They will be modern and minimal, without placing the folklore element centre stage," she says of the outfits.

Nostalgia is not Kokosalaki's thing and although her signature draping and folding might be a nod to her roots, she's really on a quest for modernism. "Usually, I try to keep in mind the plasticity of the ancient sculptures, with their focus on structure. But I try to combine all those elements into something that is contemporary, strong and unexpected," she says. "I have studied costumes and use whatever inspires me and is aesthetically challenging, but in a modern and understated way."

Thus this summer she created gorgeously draped mini dresses in shades from palest peach to caramel, pale blue and ivory. As she says: "Every season I try a new shape, a new colour, a new style, but I always try to keep a balance between the commercial and the creative. I like experimenting, but ultimately I want to make clothes that are not only experimental, but also wearable."

It's not the first time a Greek name has made fashion headlines. Jean Desses helped shape the refined 1950s, Yiannis Tseklenis took advantage of the 1970s, the body-conscious Nikos got the media's attention in the 1980s, and at the turn of the century, Greek-Americans like John Varvatos, king of American men's wear and Peter Speliopoulos, design director at Donna Karan, caused a stir. Now, following in Kokosalaki's footsteps, an entire generation is waiting to claim their place.

As up-and-coming Vasso Konsola says: "Greek style has long been a fountain of inspiration. It worked for the Paris couturier Madame Gres, it worked for Fortuni and Miyake - why should we reject it?"

In embracing it, however, this generation of designers is also pushing it a step further. Konsola, for example, creates her garments directly on a mannequin, without a pattern, making them one-of-a-kind works. Her bright knits and dresses in natural colours can be worn in different ways, leaving that final touch to the individual. "They follow the philosophy of the ancient Greek garment, where the body is free and not trapped," she says.

Similarly, although Yiorgos Eleftheriadis says "the all-time classic [style] is our originality", he also uses it to create contemporary fashion, focusing on loose forms, neutral colours and avant-garde details, such as sleeves that become braces. "There is an element of timelessness in the way the clothes work on the body and a feeling of light and freedom," Eleftheriadis says. "The Greek element exists, but only as a feeling."

The same might be said of the work of Angelos Frentzos, one of the most innovative Greek designers to emerge in the past few years, whose distinctive style is geared towards creating the perfect female silhouette. "Greeks are competitive not only on a level of ideas but also on a level of creativity," Dimitris Alexakis, of the Greek design duo Deux Hommes, says. Inspired by the Mediterranean silhouette and the architectural elements found in ancient-Greek garments, Deux Hommes make "body-conscious clothes, based on clarity and an understated notion of sexiness, where the structured silhouette is given a last-minute abstraction".

Then there's Greek-Cypriot Erotokritos, whose pretty knits, knee-length dresses and skirts are inspired by Chanel's structured silhouette, but whose signature vibrant colours and whimsical prints are all about "this touch of irony" and "the beautiful, bright daylight" characteristics of his culture. This is also the case for Thessaloniki-born, Paris-based Ioannis Guia, who since having made his debut in 1999, has combined his concept of the Greek spirit with the French tradition of tailoring and artisanship.

"What I perceive as a Greek element is not an obvious one, but something which has a sense of power and substance in the way I conceive the silhouette," says Guia, citing his anarchic details such as asymmetry, slashed, embroidered laces and nets, and innovative fabrics. "We should not underestimate Greek potential," says Guia. "Greeks can work miracles."

It is a miracle indeed that, although some of them have braved the leap abroad, the majority has stayed in Athens. The city doesn't have a fashion week, no fashion school in the tradition of the Belgian or the Japanese, no industry or infrastructure. But there is optimism. Pavlos Kyriakides, who has been on the scene since the late 1970s, says: "Ten years ago, the concept of the fashion designer didn't even exist." Today, there are 30 in Athens.

Being a Greek label, based in Greece, is hard. But as Konsola says: "It's worth doing our own revolution. The mentality that fashion can only be created in Paris or Milan has to be abolished. We can also produce new ideas."

FT.com

I'd add Kostas Murkudis to the list of promising Greek designers. :flower:

:woot: thats so great, thanks for posting this article runner, i know all these people very well, some of them are really talented.

my fave Athens based designer at the moment is Vaso Consola (she's part taking in my new project) Apostolos Mitropoulos and Mi-Ro (like me.. they are not included in the article :( )

From Paris based greek designers, Ioannis Guia is THE most talented , i also like Erotokritos.
In Rome worth mentioning Angelos Bratis who shows at Alta Roma (he was not mentioned either)
As for Sophia Kokosalaki, i dont think she needs introduction or ...praise :wink:

We are currently working on the first ever Athens Fashion Week for October, so you may be hearing more from us pretty soon :flower:

PS: Pavlos Kiriakides should learn his numbers, we are already 45 Greek designers in the Hellenic Designers Council and hopefully we will all show during Athens Fashion Week.

Besides the tennis,I am definitely tuning in to the opening ceremonies just to see those costumes :woot:

Lena,this must make you very proud all these talents coming about in abundance....do I smell another refreshing brigade?

the most fresh of all is Mi-Ro (a collaboration between two guys) , NY educated Vaso Konsola has been around for eight years and wild child Apostolos since five.

true, the inaguration ceremony of the Olympic Games is a fashion must due to Sophia's costumes and the much talked artistic direction of choreographer Dimitris Papadimitriou :wink:

now i really want to watch the opening ceremony...can anyone tell me when it is?...thx...

must be on the 13th of August ...i have to escape the city much earlier :ninja:

I hope in saying "just",I didn't appear vain and frivolous?? :lol:

I was going to ask you that same question. Will you remain in the rampant city or escaping to a private island? :P

Soft*,I know its begins before the US Open which I believe is indeed early August. I'm sorry but that's the only sport I can sustain attention for...the rest really bore me to tears..haha! :lol:

Originally posted by Lena@May 15th, 2004 - 1:31 am
:woot: thats so great, thanks for posting this article runner, i know all these people very well, some of them are really talented.

my fave Athens based designer at the moment is Vaso Consola (she's part taking in my new project) Apostolos Mitropoulos and Mi-Ro (like me.. they are not included in the article :( )

From Paris based greek designers, Ioannis Guia is THE most talented , i also like Erotokritos.
In Rome worth mentioning Angelos Bratis who shows at Alta Roma (he was not mentioned either)
As for Sophia Kokosalaki, i dont think she needs introduction or ...praise :wink:

We are currently working on the first ever Athens Fashion Week for October, so you may be hearing more from us pretty soon :flower:

PS: Pavlos Kiriakides should learn his numbers, we are already 45 Greek designers in the Hellenic Designers Council and hopefully we will all show during Athens Fashion Week.
Thank you Lena for the info.
I'm looking forward to what you all do.
Greek designers seem to have lots of elements I like.
now, Angelos Frentzos becomes the focus of attention here.
besides, I deeply respect Greek car exterior designers, Andreas Zapatinas ( Fiat Barchetta my friend owned ) and Sotiris Kovos (SC 430).
they are highly talented as well.

01.jpg

Originally posted by Scott@May 16th, 2004 - 11:01 pm
I hope in saying "just",I didn't appear vain and frivolous?? :lol:

I was going to ask you that same question. Will you remain in the rampant city or escaping to a private island? :P

Soft*,I know its begins before the US Open which I believe is indeed early August. I'm sorry but that's the only sport I can sustain attention for...the rest really bore me to tears..haha! :lol:
scott---i think it's ok to be vain and frivolous sometimes... :P :wink:
sports isn't exactly earth shattering and certainly not going to change the world...if people can get excited about throwing stuff around for a prize or running really really fast...then why can't we enjoy a pretty dress guilt-free... :lol: B)

:wink:

thx for the info lena... :flower:

nice post runner... :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@May 15th, 2004 - 2:31 am
, i also like Erotokritos.
Lena - I love Erotokritos - especially loved last winters jerseys & skirts (lots of penguins!). Haven't seen much of it for spring though.

Originally posted by Orochian@May 14th, 2004 - 11:53 pm
I'd add Kostas Murkudis to the list of promising Greek designers. :flower:
Yea, it's weird that they didn't mention him. Maybe because they consider him more of a German?

P.S. Colin Farell will play Alexander the Great? They couldn't find anyone better? What a crap pit hollywood has become...

:woot: glad to hear that Angelos Frentzos is finally catching up globally, he graduated from a local design school at the same time as Sophia Kokosalaki,
and they are close friends. Angelos is based in Milan.
Havent seen his work for years but i hear he's better in his menswear.

i've thought that Erotokritos is quite wellknown in Japan runner :unsure:
havent you heard of him?

i'm absolutely escaping Athens during the Olympic games,
i live by the coast and not so far from some of the water related Olympic venus
so i think it makes sense :wink:

Originally posted by runner@May 14th, 2004 - 11:38 pm
Front and centre among them, of course, is Athens-born, London-based fashion designer, Sophia Kokosalaki, who is designing the costumes for the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics.
Then there will be one Olympic event worth watching :woot:

yes I have, Lena.
I think Erotokritos is the more popular because Isetan and Seibu ( the major department stores specializing in fashion ) have carried the stuff.
we can see Angelos Frentzos menswear collection at Beams ( one of my favorite stores in Harajuku district, carrying CCP, Chalayan, Antonio Marras, Raf Simons, Siv Stoldal, Julie Skarland,etc ).
womenswear at Restir in Ginza district.

now, I need Sophia Kokosalaki for men again.

i believe both Sophia & Angelos are best in menswear,

thanks on your info on Erotokritos runner,
i know he sells a lot in Japan, so i wondered,
i'll pass to him the info of him being popular there, he's such a sweet guy...

maybe i should talk him in starting up a menswear-with-humour line, :innocent:
he dresses quite well himself :P

mmm after seeing Troy (sadly for the second time) am definately feeling the need for Greek designers and greek inspired designs. Other than a few bits here and there I am having a hard time finding stuff. It doesn't help I am currently in the middle of nowhere. Lena, you are showing during Greek fashion week non?!! I hope so! I can't wait!! :flower:

Originally posted by mehg@May 28th, 2004 - 9:16 am
mmm after seeing Troy (sadly for the second time) am definately feeling the need for Greek designers and greek inspired designs. Other than a few bits here and there I am having a hard time finding stuff. It doesn't help I am currently in the middle of nowhere. Lena, you are showing during Greek fashion week non?!! I hope so! I can't wait!! :flower:
glad you are in the mood for greek fashion mehg, even though Troy made most of us greeks very very upset (due to liberties taken in the actuall historical events and the portray of the greeks as rude etc etc)

as a founding member of the greek designers federation, i'm very deeply involved with the organisation of Athens Fashion Week .. but my new project is not fit for 'catwalk' which is not my style anyway, i'm more thinking of an instalation, projections, art videos etcetc

plus, i just accepted to art direct the catwalk shows of two fellow designers :wink:

ps we are trying to built up a Federation website so you will be kept updated :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@May 21st, 2004 - 7:09 am
maybe i should talk him in starting up a menswear-with-humour line, :innocent:
but my new project is not fit for 'catwalk' which is not my style anyway, i'm more thinking of an instalation, projections, art videos etcetc

great!

I found Angelos Frentzos recent collection.
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"