Unleash Your Inner Ancient Greek

Originally posted by runner@May 28th, 2004 - 4:22 am
I found Angelos Frentzos recent collection.
Not bad at all!!!

runner you are lucky that there is such an open-mindedness among the young Japanese to different designers which provides a market for such a variety of labels. I'm in NYC and it's nearly not as eclectic (and I will go Number Niners store! My priorities shifted to interior design because we are moving to a new apartment this weekend).

Originally posted by faust+May 28th, 2004 - 10:31 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (faust @ May 28th, 2004 - 10:31 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-runner@May 28th, 2004 - 4:22 am
I found Angelos Frentzos recent collection.
Not bad at all!!!

[/b][/quote]
yah...i like it too...

good luck with greek fashion week lena...

not too crazy with the few Frentzos pieces posted here, still, thanks for posting them runner :flower:

thanks for your wishes softgrey i hope we will make it for October, if not.. it will take us to organise the event for January '05 :innocent:

On the fashion front, new stores are sprouting up around town. Recent openings include Bless on Mulackstrasse, Andreas Murkudis' concept store in a back alley off Munzstrasse, where among Martin Margiela and Y3 we (surprise) found the largest assortment of Kostas Murkudis' collection ? well crafted tailored pieces with clever details inside and out, as well as handmade crystal objects from Poland, and necessities for the traveler along with mobile furniture from contemporary local designers.
from JC Report

good news faust, if you have any plan to travel to Berlin,
where you can see Kostas Murkudis' collection.

the shop seems to be run by Kostas's brother
andreas murkudis
address munzstrasse 21/2. c.yard [hidden] - 10178 BERLIN

I have been dying for these carbon fiber table & chairs for three years.
but my my priorities are unlikely to shift...

related story from Antwerp Fashion Museum MoMu

Exhibition: Goddess

The GODDESS exhibition will be held from Saturday 8th May 2004 to Sunday 22nd August 2004 in MoMu.

GODDESS provides us with an overview of how clothing worn by the Ancient Greeks has influenced fashion in the 21st century.

It includes silhouettes by Madame Gres, Edward Molyneux, Halston, Gucci, Versace couture, D&G, Givenchy couture, Christian Dior couture, Chanel, John Galliano, Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen, Clements Ribeiro, Giorgio di Sant’ Angelo, Romeo Gigli, Capucci, Bernhard Willhelm, Ann Demeulemeester, Patrick Van Ommeslaeghe, Maison Margiela, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Christian Lacroix, Prada, Valentino, Thierry Mugler, Nicolas Ghesquiere, Hussein Chalayan, YSL Rive Gauche, Azzedine Alaia, Douglas Ferguson, Roberto Cavalli and Viktor&Rolf.

There will also be a focus on the summer collections of 2004, where the inspiration of the Greeks in all their glory is clearly to be seen once more.

Consequently, rather than being an academic exhibition on Greek Antiquity, GODDESS is a fresh presentation with an emphasis on contemporary fashion.
Looking at their designs, we see quite clearly that many designers are often inspired by the historical garments of the Ancient Greeks.
For instance their designs are based on the original basic garments for women: the chiton, the peplos and the himation.

Minor modifications and interpretations of these articles have produced new styles and garments.

Details, accessories and (architectural) motifs, such as the attributes of the Olympic deities (shells for Aphrodite and peacock feathers for Hera), are often adopted in full.

Moreover, elements and techniques not present in ancient garments are added, and they, in their turn, play a determining role in the interpretation and image of Greek Antiquity. One only has to think of the high waistline of the Empire Period, a draping technique such as wet drapery, and the asymmetrical neckline.
The work of Madame Gres, a French fashion designer whose draped evening dresses form a milestone in modern interpretations of Greek Antiquity, continued to influence contemporary designers. In their turn, Madame Gres's draping techniques have made history, and are an essential element in our classical heritage.

Clothing from Greek Antiquity has gradually developed into a classic style. Not because it can never change, but because the historic basic garments were adapted to different periods and styles during the 20th and 21st centuries.

GODDESS is based on the GODDESS, The Classical Mode exhibition, that was held at the Costume Institute of The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. The MoMu has taken over part of this exhibition.
The selection made by the curator Harold Koda is supplemented with garments from the archives of different designers, as well as the summer 2004 collections of fashion designers from both Belgium and abroad.

Valentino Couture
221_17.gif

Gucci
00169.L.JPG

Romeo Gigli
221_11.jpg

Christian Lacroix
221_8.jpg

i have the catalogue from the NY "goddess" exhibition, its the most amazing fashion book ever, glad they brought this exhibit to Europe.
:heart:

060104_7.jpg

he's not a designer but his work is very fashion related..
introducing LA based 'social darling' greek artist Konstantin Kakanias
from a wwd article of today, i hope you like his work :flower:

060104_4.jpg

060104_5.jpg

Carrying the Torch
LOS ANGELES — Greek artist Konstantin Kakanias created Mrs. Tependris, a Greek socialite in the manner of Maria Callas meets Jackie O., in 1993, and though she appears in sketches and the occasional book (like 2002’s :heart: “Mrs. Tependris: The Contemporary Years: The Adventures of an Art Collector”), she hasn’t been out and about much lately.

But in November 2003, the Greek ministry of Culture commissioned Kakanias to create “Mrs. Tependris…just before the Olympic Games in Athens (the triumph of chic),” an illustrated :heart: book commemorating the games that’s available only to International Olympic Committee members.

The request came as somewhat of a shock to the outspoken painter. “I have nothing to do with politics, so when they e-mailed me I thought it was a joke. I mean, how could they be serious? I detest sports,” he explained from his courtyard garden in Whitley Heights, a neighborhood in the Hollywood Hills. “And if you don’t own a television, like me, it’s very difficult to watch them.”

He nevertheless rose to the challenge, creating more than 40 paintings, some as tall as 3 meters high and each with its own satire-filled commentary. The narrative details the journey Mrs. Tependris takes from her rented David Hockney-style home in Los Angeles to Athens, in order to compete in her very own high-fashion version of the Olympics.

“Mrs. Tependris is a symbol for the ego. She is all about herself,” he says, “and of course, her clothes.” After dialing up Christian Louboutin for a new shoe wardrobe, she jets over to Greece, albeit a few months early. “She’s very avant-garde, you know, so she doesn’t really follow calender dates. But that’s all right, because she hires people to watch her compete in these events.”

The events include weight lifting in Lacroix, playing Ping-Pong in Miu Miu, high diving in a Galliano turquoise and diamond swimsuit and pole-vaulting in a Juicy Couture track suit. Along the way, she also has a few paintings commissioned in the manner of Praxiteles and the Discus Thrower (not in the buff, but in couture).

Tongue-in-cheek humor aside, Kakanias, who’s currently renovating a church in Spain with Carolina Herrera Jr. and planning an exhibition of new works for early fall in New York, says, “Above all, the Olympics symbolize peace, which I do believe in deeply, more than sports.”

— Marcy Medina

thanks Lena for the introduction
I like his work very much.
really inreresting.

the pole vault in Juicy Couture (?)
060104_7.jpg

I'm not sure whether this is Mr. konstantin kakanias.

kk.jpg

kakanias.jpg

drohojowska-philp9-27-3.jpg

546.jpg

so glad you know about his work runner,
thanks for all the fab paintings you posted :heart:
and yes, it's him on the picture,
have you seen his art books?

ooh thanks for the art Lena. Very likeable and quite cute in my opinion :flower:

I understand Troy would make greeks unhappy due to artistic liberties taken but I suppose thats Hollywood for you.

I was just thinking of that Jackie O. dress the other day, the one that Jennifer Lopez recreated for the Oscars (prefer Jackie 100 times over)

I can see you as more of an installation girl Lena :flower: I'm sure it'll be fab no matter what you do. I wish I would be able to come to Greek fashion week but alas, I'm stuck here in Canada :cry: :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 3rd, 2004 - 2:37 am
so glad you know about his work runner,
thanks for all the fab paintings you posted :heart:
and yes, it's him on the picture,
have you seen his art books?
you are welcome Lena
thanks for the reply

no, I haven't
is there any art book you would recommend?
now is the time to check.

and I found Kostas Murkudis' recent collection on the CFA.
so cool.

S/S 2004 Kostas Murkudis
3720_8257.jpg

3720_8261.jpg

3720_8258.jpg

3720_8254.jpg

Originally posted by Lena
my fave Athens based designer at the moment is Vaso Consola (she's part taking in my new project) Apostolos Mitropoulos and Mi-Ro (like me.. they are not included in the article )

From Paris based greek designers, Ioannis Guia is THE most talented , i also like Erotokritos.
In Rome worth mentioning Angelos Bratis who shows at Alta Roma (he was not mentioned either)

We are currently working on the first ever Athens Fashion Week for October, so you may be hearing more from us pretty soon

That's great Lena! :flower:

PS Those anyone have any links to these designers? :flower:

Originally posted by runner@Jun 3rd, 2004 - 4:14 am
I found Kostas Murkudis' recent collection on the CFA.
so cool.
That is beautiful!!!

I will probably be in Berling next year (and then maybe in 2006 for the World Cup), so I'll definitely check these stores out. Thanks.

P.S. I'm loving the table/chair you want (need something for my iMAC). Who are these by?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vvmuzse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->