US Bazaar October 2005 : Charlize Theron

cosmocat said:
Is nobody else sick of the hollyowood glamour thing?

hmmm...i'm not sure i fully understand the question (sorry for my slowness lol) but i will say that overall i'm tired of seeing celebrities on covers of mags and in so many ads, but i do love certain celebrities, charlize is one of my favorite actresses, and i think the cover looks beautiful. idk if that answers your question tho :/

^No, not at all. Its just the style of the cover-actress, dress, pose, hair scream 'Old Fashioned Hollywood Glamour' to me. There doesn't seem to be any of Charlize's personality shown.

cosmocat said:
^No, not at all. Its just the style of the cover-actress, dress, pose, hair scream 'Old Fashioned Hollywood Glamour' to me. There doesn't seem to be any of Charlize's personality shown.

ah ok, i understand u now :flower: thanks for clearing that up.

hmm i love old hollywood glamour, so nah, it doesnt bother me in that sense...on the other hand, true hollywood glamour doesnt really exist the way it did in the "movie star" era, so in that sense its sorta artificial and i can definitely see how that would get annoying.

preview

Models: Inguna butane, julia stegner, alyssa miller, Iman, ghesquiere/maggie cheung.

the subscriber cover is simply gorgeous, i'm really sad now i won't get hold of it since i don't have a current subscription....

There's not a whole lot going on in this issue ... but I am starting to notice a trend. In many issues, there's an article written by a woman spending thousands of dollars on clothes and/or jewelry. Last month it was $10K on clothes. In this issue there's an article about how the author spent $25-30K on jewelry this fall (oops, blew my fall budget, she says).

Now compare & contrast with Vogue, which took on the issue of how much more things cost this season, interviewed buyers about it, discussed buying fewer items, and discussed why some clothes are worth their price tag.

Anyone else noticed this trend in Bazaar? Any other magazines you've noticed doing the same thing?

It's a great bazaar

fashionista-ta said:
There's not a whole lot going on in this issue ...QUOTE]

?? Bazaar's inguna, julia, Iman, lindbergh/guesquiere, alyssa/gibson and caroline winberg stories are far better than vogue's lisa cant and paltrow! did you look at inguna's kadel story? it's brilliantly 1960s black & white! lindbergh's guesquiere shoot is genius! it's based on 1950s science fiction!! paltrow's story might be a little better than charlize theron's, but both are boring.

love it or love them
oh i was confused earlier because it seemed like the cover had already been posted...my bad.

eternitygoddess said:
Gorgeous. Does anyone know who the dresses are by?

quickly skimmed the board but I don't think anyone's answered you yet. :blush:
Both dresses are couture... The black one is Galliano for Dior and the flowy one is Chrstian Lacrioux.
00300m.jpg

picture source: Style.com

my review

cover: charlize theron in dior haute couture or lacroix haute couture by peter lindbergh

noteworthy ads:
calvin klein underwear 2 pg. (natalia)
etro 2 pg. (polina k.)
anna molinari 2 pg. (bianca)
h. stern 4 pg. (kate moss)
kenneth cole reaction 2 pg. (romina)
valentino 1 pg. (eugenia, close up w/bag)
omega 4 pg. (cindy crawford, pierce brosnan)
dior 1 pg. back cover (kate with croc tie dyed bag)

eds:
"Charlize Theron in the best of Couture" by peter lindbergh. pics are basically the same as the cover: white backdrop. she wears:

armani prive, valentino, chanel
00310m.jpg
00350m.jpg
00490m.jpg

givenchy, gaultier, dior
00180m.jpg
00340m.jpg
00140m.jpg

"new basics in black and white" by greg kadel. inguna channels twiggy and edie segewick in this mod story set on a grey background. she isn't one of my favorites (she seems to be a bit of a one trick pony), but if you are a fan, you'll love these pics.

"what to wear now" by anthony ward. ward picks a new blonde muse this time around, and it's julia stegner. she looks absolutely stunning in this pics: some smiling, one great close up, but all attitude.

"what's new for you" by ralph gibson. alyssa miller in the newest looks from resort.

"back to the future" by peter lindbergh. interview with nicolas ghesquiere featuring pics of his muse maggie cheung. great 50-60s futuristic theme goes wonderfully with the clothes. also has a visual timeline of balenciaga from 1938 to now.

"fall's most wanted jewelry" by hiro. iman is better than ever in this story...her luscious skin and sable eyes are a great backdrop for this ed.

also:
a fashionable life: anna molinari
my best beauty secrets by jennifer lopez
"how to stand out in a sea of black" by padma lakashimi
"chic and easy styling tips" 2 good shots of caroline winberg; how to dress classic (brana wolf), avant garde (melanie ward), sporty (jenny captain) and romantic
fabulous at every age: the coat
the season of the boot: the best ones in lace up, stacked, flat, slouchy, evening, textured and colored.
"stella mccartney's superchic staples" a preview of her line with h&m

verdict: some good articles and eds, my only dud was the inguna piece, but the others are great considering october is usually a down month for mags. i haven't seen the october vogue yet, so i can't compare, but i have to give this issue 3 out 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an okay issue. The only saving grace, imo, is the Balenciaga/Maggie Cheung edit. The Charlize edit is boring, just her against a white background. What is interesting to me, is their big spread on Anna Molinari, and lo and behold she has a two page ad in Bazaar.

cosmocat said:

I feel that Old Hollywood fits Charlize quite well. She's so classy and elegant, I totally buy it. Since I subscribe, I got the second cover... it's so beautiful. :heart:

fashionista-ta said:
Anyone else noticed this trend in Bazaar? Any other magazines you've noticed doing the same thing?

I have noticed it and I ain't loving it. Bazaar used to be my favorite, but not so much these days.

Also, no more celebrities. I used to love actresses on the covers, but I am so over it. I havent seen a model on a cover in forever.

Yes! Finally found the dress on one of the covers she's wearing. Christian Lacroix F/W 05 Couture. So beautiful!

Attachments

• charlize.jpg
    charlize.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"