US Harper’s Bazaar September 2022 by John Edmonds

as much as I enjoy Bazaar under Samira, they really need to inject some "oomph" to this magazine.. I feel that right now this magazine is just floating around when it's supposedly giving Vogue a run for their money.

I like Florence and Amanda's covers. I'm glad that Samira's aware of saturating her magazine now. The covers look ALIVE if you compare it to its predecessors.

While Vogue and Elle gave us real icons like Adele and Serena Williams, this magazine has Bad Bunny on its cover. For its Icons issue. A stretch from their theme TBH.

What a boring selection of people, excluding Amanda Goreman but surely they're a year too late on this after Vogue's initial cover last May.

Where are the icons? I’m waiting.

They have a feature on their instagram where they ask the "Icons" what the word Icon means to them and Hailey appears and says with a straight face:

"A person who leaves a lasting impression on multiple generations".

I truly guess Hailey herself, Bad Bunny, Jack Harlow, Emma Chamberlain and the guy with the pink hair from the Gossip Girl reboot have achieved that already in Hailey's mind.

these ‘icons’ are for whoever’s under 25. they know all of them.
now, are they the demographic buying this magazine?

I’m 40 myself and there’s only a couple I haven’t heard of. do I consider them icons? absolutely not. can some of them be icons, in the future? maybe…

Florence and Hailey have the best covers.
Bad Bunny, seriously? why is this guy on the covers and ad campaigns?

What a joke than this Septemeber issue is the "Icons" issue, with the cover stars don't have this appeal. Only the Florence's & Amanda's covers save them.

Florence's cover looks nice, Amanda and Hailey's look like lookbook pics off some high street fashion brand. Bad Bunny's cant be described, as usual.

An issue dedicated to 'icons' was far more exciting back in 2014 when we'd get the likes of Linda Evangelista back on the cover of Harper's Bazaar and some fashion-forward styling from Carine Roitfeld but fast forward to 2022 with Samira Nasr it's just so unbelievably redundant.

These covers bring nothing new to the table but I do like the one with Hailey Bieber, and I'm also liking how well Amanda Gorman looks in Chanel.

It wasn't Carine who started the icons theme at HB? but in fact the world ICON is so misused....and usually there is a prove of than status...it's not only being very popular or famous...is beyond that...fashion journalism in America is crazy...

They started the article with this text that for me is just a way to justified their poor criteria...lol so basically my dog can be an icon too...

"The term icon is by now beyond iconic. It’s one of those words that’s tossed around so regularly that it’s almost lost its meaning—which is the opposite of what an icon is supposed to be. Icons are supposed to stand for something. Icons are supposed to be the embodiment of ideas, aspirations, and values. Icons are supposed to be guiding lights.

This cover portfolio explores what it means to be an icon in the making. All of the subjects are age 30 or under. It’s a demographic of people whose lives have been shaped by some very particular forces. If you’re 30 today, then you were born in the early ’90s, when the internet was nascent. You’re old enough to have witnessed 9/11 (and probably even watched it on TV), but you were not old enough to have been able to fully process it. When you were in your mid teens, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and a financial crisis were upending the world. You remember your early 20s well because they were captured (and filtered) on Instagram. And then a pandemic, climate collapse, movements for social justice, TikTok, vibes…

That’s why people like the ones below, who’ve embraced who they are and are eager to push the world forward, are so important. Icons today know how to lead but also make space for others to do the same. They’re driven to succeed, but they also invite others to share in their success. They’re kicking doors open but also making sure that everyone has an opportunity to walk through them. To be an icon in 2022 is to let go of the old definitions of what it means to be an icon and invent your own."

To be an icon in 2022 is to let go of the old definitions of what it means to be an icon and invent your own.

Yeah, maybe just sometimes we should try sticking with the traditional, see how it works out for us. Call them inspiring young celebrities to follow and get on with your day, this is such a bunch of pretentious bullsh*t. They're important and leading the way because they documented their 20s and watched 9/11 on TV? Wow, I gotta tell my sister she's an icon today. A living legend!! Slayyyy

Yeah, maybe just sometimes we should try sticking with the traditional, see how it works out for us. Call them inspiring young celebrities to follow and get on with your day, this is such a bunch of pretentious bullsh*t. They're important and leading the way because they documented their 20s and watched 9/11 on TV? Wow, I gotta tell my sister she's an icon today. A living legend!! Slayyyy

We ourselves are icons too...damn i demand my cover Samira! haha lol

BODY LANGUAGE
Photography:
Daniel Jackson
Styling: Samira Nasr
Hair: Tashana Miles
Make-up: Frank B
Model: Imaan Hammam

US Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads