US Harper's Bazaar August 2019 : Serena Williams by Alexi Lubomirski

Serena looks great and I think it's fantastic Harper's Bazaar haven't photoshopped her into oblivion, as is their wont. The gold and the red makes me think this cover could be more suited for the Holiday season but the earthy plaster-looking backdrop does bring it back to summer, somehow.

Oh Lord, is this really an August cover? It looks so far removed from this decade in general.

Fashion Editor: Miguel Enamorado
Hair: Vernon François
Makeup: Tyron Machhausen
Manicure: Kimberly Ta

TeaP7ryv_o.jpg

harpersbazaar.com

Love love love the second cover! I'm sure many will hate all of this, but I think it's beautiful, and instantly iconic.

Why am I even surprised? Its a recycled concept!

Nicole Kidman Harpers Bazaar US. Gold Background, Gold dress. Black and white text.

Glenda, wake up now

I guess its one those months again where the US publications decide to completely crap on their brands. Whatever is left of them anyway.

My main issue is I know she can photograph better than this. Nice to see her here and proudly representing a body type so often left off covers, but there’s definitely room for improvement with styling and the photography!

Why am I even surprised? Its a recycled concept!

Nicole Kidman Harpers Bazaar US. Gold Background, Gold dress. Black and white text.

Glenda, wake up now

It's a recipe as old as the hills......

Amazon/Ebay/Pinterest

LOVE seeing how unretouched this is and yah, with a body shape not normally seen on magazine covers.

That’s all I like about this.

The gold is soo dated….Not in love with the styling nor her make-up. I’ve seen shots of her in action, sweaty, looking more gorgeous than she does here.

This could have been better.

Usually when a magazine does an 'unretouched' cover, the person ends up looking like a joyless and grey organic granola muncher with an allergy to all forms of jewellery.

Not so here. This is unretouched and tacky, and I haven't seen that combination before. For that reason, I like it.

I often find it surprising people expecting Serena look beautiful. She won’t because she isn’t. I personally doesn’t find her beautiful but she is an amazing woman with legendary achievements and she is super fierrrrce... and all of that makes her hot and different kind of beautiful . That’s what I see on the second cover and I am grateful that nowadays magazines are trying to shift our focus away from just conventionally beautiful. The rest is quite unimaginative and tired... poor team... it’s time from Glenxit!

This looks extremely dated and a downright eyesore. British Harper's Bazaar (and even American Vogue) done Serena more justice, and couldn't care less about the whole unretouched bumph. Perhaps Camilla Akrans would've done a more superior job?

You do have to admire Glenda Bailey for sticking with the same old aesthetic at Harper's Bazaar in this uncertain climate of fashion magazines. Yet I have lost total interest in US Bazaar this year, and still kick myself for buying the godawful March issue with Cardi B... haven't bought an issue since.

Love love love the second cover! I'm sure many will hate all of this, but I think it's beautiful, and instantly iconic.

Thank God I’m not the only one here loving this. I would much rather take this ANY DAY over that boring Ariana Grande US Vogue cover. Or last month’s Jennifer Aniston cover for Bazaar.

The thing I don’t get is why they put so many coverlines on newsstand covers when they make the cover look so cheap and tacky. That’s why I love the second cover. So simple and so powerful.

Doesn't it seem odd to have a headline about this being unretouched next to one about getting an eye lift?

I like the main(?) cover, but the other cover showing her butt is just odd. With her startled facial expression and the sands, "stop looking! I'm gonna take a poo here!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarestjewel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->