US Harper's Bazaar October 2023 : Margaret Qualley by Amy Troost

This reads misogynistic and gross imo :expressionless:

“She’s willing to try things without questioning anything, and she loves to explore,” says director Yorgos Lanthimos. “I also like the fact that she doesn’t take herself too seriously. It’s the only way to achieve more profound work, I think.”

Image wise, the pose and angle are not working... I wish it was a more closeup portrait.

US Harper's Bazaar has the strangest cover poses. Something is always off with the styling, and they are in the habit of making beautiful women look less than their best. This magazine is such a wasted opportunity.

Bazaar really has lost its mind. The cover photographs are consistently disastrous. The closest we’ve had to a good cover since Samira took helm was Lita Kebede’s. Please can we bring some excitement back to these magazines?

They do book big names sometimes (Doja and Kendall last month, Reese the month before that) so I don't see it as being unable to book them. I think Samira is trying to do something more interesting. Not that it's successful, but I can appreciate the idea of giving a cover to someone like Patti Smith over a starlet of the moment.

Magazines have kind of worked themselves into a corner on this subject, though. When they play musical chairs with the regular A-listers people complain about celebrity dominance and no new faces. When they give an upstart the spotlight everyone rushes in their "Who is this? Irrelevant! I don't know her!" comments. The only solution is to produce cover images strong enough to compensate for whatever mixed feelings one might have about the cover subject.

Given the level of low to which US Harper's Bazaar has sank under Samira Nasr, I am somehow able to tolerate this cover. I like the warmth this radiates, the back-lighting, the red masthead and the fact it's Margaret Qualley in Chanel. Of course, there's room for improvement but I don't exactly hate this.

This reads misogynistic and gross imo :expressionless:

“She’s willing to try things without questioning anything, and she loves to explore,” says director Yorgos Lanthimos. “I also like the fact that she doesn’t take herself too seriously. It’s the only way to achieve more profound work, I think.”

Image wise, the pose and angle are not working... I wish it was a more closeup portrait.

How would you read it if it were a male director describing a male actor?

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just curious.

I think it's a perfectly innocent statement, really. People may read it as misogynistic because we're kind of conditioned to expect female stars to be sexualized. But describing an artist as being willing to try things and loving to explore is really only complimentary if you ask me.

How would you read it if it were a male director describing a male actor?

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just curious.

Historically, it´s the male directors abusing one way or the other their female stars... much more than what we hear about male actors. My first thought was of Bertolucci and Schneider... I´m not saying it´s remotely a similar case but the verbiage in 2023 doesn't sit well with me so I was expressing my opinion.

My digital copy says 162 pages, but it feels like there's very little in this issue.

There's the cover story (a waste), then HIGH NOTES, a 12 pg accessories edit (which I like for its lighting and textures) followed by a 14 pg fashion story, MINIMAL EFFORT, shot by Bibi Cornejo Borthwick, styled by James Valeri, with model Popo Nauczyciel. US Bazaar does like to go for a 90s minimalist vibe, and this is better than you'd get in Vogue.

dull issue....
does anyonw know if we have a thread just for accessories editorial?

Dont understand why samira’s bazaar is so mediocre?!
Im happy that Amy troost is doing something after her horrible break up with Alistair McKimm stylist. Poor thing .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
famfaluca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->