US Harper’s Bazaar November 2021 : Tracee Ellis Ross by Renell Medrano

I don’t like the cover much, but it’s certainly a step up from Nicole’s and I do like several of the editorial photos of Tracee. With words like “extravagance” and “opulence” on the cover, I hope the contents deliver just that.

This feels very Porter magazine and I mean that in the best way.

Lay your bets now whether the words 'extravagance' and 'opulence' will amount to false advertising or a surprising turn of events for this edition.

Lay your bets now whether the words 'extravagance' and 'opulence' will amount to false advertising or a surprising turn of events for this edition.

Apparently minimalist coats are the height of extravagance these days. And while Succession's characters live an opulent lifestyle, the show doesn't usually bask in the glow of their wealth, visually. Still, I take it as a good sign that Samira is clearly aware those words are enticing to readers, so there's hope for follow-through going forward.

I love Tracee and it's a good cover but it could have been more powerful I think. I'm sure there were better shots. Hopefully the editorial is just as cool or even better :wink:

I like her and I like the cover…
She is a fashion icon but I’m against that idea that fashion icon has to be on this giant larger than life clothes. It’s maybe dramatic but that ain’t it for me…

It’s not a bad picture of her, but I find her to be very unlikeable and phony. She’s just another force-fed, astroturfed “style icon.”

More than Zendaya?
I sense a real love of fashion from Tracee. But on the other hand, there’s needs to be a discussion about those manufactured fashion icons…I love some of them but I’m kinda puzzled by it.

^ part of the issue, for me, is the general overuse of the word "icon". I know people call this and that "iconic" just as a compliment, but in my opinion Tracee certainly isn't actually an icon, fashion or otherwise. What styles has she popularized or brought into focus? Is her style instantly recognizable? Does she impact trends? Is she a muse for important, sought-after designers? Are the general public clamoring to imitate her style? Can her style even be summarized or well-defined? She's a fashion lover, for sure, and it's fun to see her embrace that identity, but as of yet, I don't see it. Diana Ross, on the other hand, is a fashion icon.

I love to see magazines featuring celebrities who actually want to dress up and take a real interest in fashion, and I think Tracee is one of those celebrities. It's a tad more annoying when celebrities that seem like sweatpants and t-shirt wearers in their day-to-day life have a decent stylist and are thus treated like arbiters of style, when they actually have none.

Last edited:
^ part of the issue, for me, is the general overuse of the word "icon". I know people call this and that "iconic" just as a compliment, but in my opinion Tracee certainly isn't actually an icon, fashion or otherwise. What styles has she popularized or brought into focus? Is her style instantly recognizable? Does she impact trends? Is she a muse for important, sought-after designers? Are the general public clamoring to imitate her style? Can her style even be summarized or well-defined? She's a fashion lover, for sure, and it's fun to see her embrace that identity, but as of yet, I don't see it. Diana Ross, on the other hand, is a fashion icon.

I love to see magazines featuring celebrities who actually want to dress up and take a real interest in fashion, and I think Tracee is one of those celebrities. It's a tad more annoying when celebrities that seem like sweatpants and t-shirt wearers in their day-to-day life have a decent stylist and are thus treated like arbiters of style, when they actually have none.

This! Kate Miss, Audrey Hepburn, Jane Birkin, Diana Ross, Cher, Selena, even a Courtney Love, These are all women who can basically be Instantly recognizable Halloween costumes, Who’s style is copied and remixed, and referenced constantly. Is anyone really saying, “Oh, that’s so Tracee Ellis Ross!”

This! Kate Miss, Audrey Hepburn, Jane Birkin, Diana Ross, Cher, Selena, even a Courtney Love, These are all women who can basically be Instantly recognizable Halloween costumes, Who’s style is copied and remixed, and referenced constantly. Is anyone really saying, “Oh, that’s so Tracee Ellis Ross!”
Not Halloween costumes! LOL!
But I get what you are saying.
Tracee is a woman who can dress but indeed she is not necessarily a fashion icon.

For me a fashion icon is someone who can dress and more than that, who can incarnate fashion. And a fashion icon can dress badly too…
Today it seems like when someone wears runway looks selected by their stylists on the redcarpet after a couple of events, after having some contracts, you are named a fashion icon.
What makes a style is an aesthetic choice, a signature, a point of view…

I argued with someone the other day that Beyonce is a fashion icon. She can’t dress at all but you say leotards and you think about her in the moment! Lol

^^^ As much as I don’t care for her, Beyonce is an icon: A 360 icon at that. Anyone that will argue against this is just stubbornly blind. To the 20something gayz and their hags that grew up in this lesser era, they don’t care that Bey snatched her weave from Mariah; her leotard from Madonna; and her moves from Shakira. She stole it all and made it her own. And when you factor in her larger-than-life performances/concerts always backed by the on-trend power of pro-Black themes, she’s an empire of an icon to the masses: And this era is her imperial phase. Doesn’t matter that she’s always a mess in her fashion statements to TFS, the common people love her. ...At least in the USA LOL

This cover is solid; kind of Tim Walker dragged down to earth and on a budget— but it’s the strongest covershot from this lethargic trajectory of blandness that’s been the signature of Samira's Bazaar for so long-- that it's good to see she’s finally showing a sign of life as editor. Tracee is a very pretty women— and I see her accessibility as like that of Jennifer Aniston to the commoners. But she’s as forgettable to me as Jennifer when it comes to “style”.

Perhaps my favorite cover under Samira so far, I was certainly prepared to hate on it but was pleasantly surprised.
Tracee looks beautiful, something many magazines failed to capture.

I think it's a beautiful cover, and it will definitely pop on the newsstand.
Tracee, I can take or leave, tbh. I think she does have a genuine love of fashion,
but she tries to hard. I can't stand Blackish (loved Girlfriends tho), and don't know a single black person who watches it.
That show is for white people...
Also, she's not an icon, but her mom most definitely is.

She's gorgeous, but I'd rather see more of her on the cover than those ridiculous balloons.
A closer crop on her face would have been perfect.
Her expression is regal. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crinklechiffon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->