US Vogue April 2011 : Rihanna by Annie Leibovitz

i love everything except the pose which is extremely awkward she looks like she is going to take a dump or that she might fall. the pose ruined everything for me.

well, now when I am looking at the cover, she really remainds me a mermaid :D

I still like it, it is definitely better than messy Gaga cover...

Last edited by a moderator:
What's Herb Ritts about this..????? I won't make a comment about the cover. Really don't know what to say about it.

Ugh, another shape issue... they're always the same! At least they usually mean we'll see women of color. And it is nice to see a cover subject that actually has a successful career beyond wearing hot young designers and dating (or divorced/separated from) famous actors.

Gaga to Rihanna... please please PLEASE Baby Jesus don't let Katy Perry be next.

i completely agree with this comment. i don't find this cover offensive at all. in fact, it's a pretty typical american vogue cover when one boils it down. i seem to recall perhaps a criticism in the letter from the editor in last year's vogue discounting a rival publication's 'music issue' so it's interesting that this year she has mined the talents of two pop stars to boost the sale of her tome.

[/b]

Unfortunately I find that this is the reaction to a lot of black pop singers on magazines:innocent:

That is such a low blow to everyone commenting on the cover. Insulting, really, to suggest that anyone who calls this tacky and/or cheap is racist. She's wearing a red weave, is in a glittery gold dress and is making an awkward pose. I'm SHOCKED really that someone would find that tacky. :rolleyes: Such comments are not reserved for "black pop singers" but probably most singers these days. I GUARANTEE you, Katy Perry and Kesha would draw the exact same comments. It has nothing to do with the race in this case, and everything to do with the cover looking actually tacky and the pop singers these days being tacky.

Yeah the pose is at an odd angle but I love the hair all ''Lake'' style. Great cover colour combo. I too find her style can be a bit 'try hard' but she's a pop star not an actress. It's a totally different ball game.

This may be a "no duh" question to many people but I haven't bought a magazine in ages. So this issue will be out in April , as in like April 1st?

I love the awkwardness of her pose. It really works well for me. I love the fact that the cover in itself isn't what everybody was expecting to be upon hearing that Rihanna will be on the cover.

So happy to see her on the cover, it's absolutely gorgeous.
First Lady GaGa, now Rihanna - brilliant! Hoping for Katy or Britney next.

I actually really like this. It's much more interesting and dynamic than usual for US Vogue.

And I don't see why Rihanna shouldn't be on the cover. She's well-known singer and even if you're not a fan of everything she wears, you have to admit that she pays attention to and takes risks with fashion.

What's Herb Ritts about this..?????

Indeed, just because this has sort of the same background, doesn't give this cove a so called 'Herb Ritts quality'. If Leibovitz shot Rihanna nude in black and white with clean, graphic lines, this cover would've had a Herb Ritts quality.

Its...interesting.

Sorry, that's the only word I can say to describe this cover. To tell the truth, I'd rather would have wanted to see her nude (although that will never happen since Vogue is a fashion magazine) donning an awkward yet subtly sensual pose then see her posing in an awkward way, with a very vacant expression, and wearing a sad excuse of a dress.

I really hope the next cover subject would be someone worth reading about (Lady Gaga and Rihanna ARE people worth reading about, so please don't get me wrong) Or at least an overused actress whose pose, clothes, or beauty on the cover astounds us and we forget that she was ever bland (*ahem* Nicole Kidman *ahem*)

P.S

It would have been amazing if the dress hadn't been altered to make Rihanna look like a p*rn star. I mean the Chanel dress was absolutely DIVINE, why change it? It even lead me to believe that she had classier looking clothes in her S&M video than in the cover.

I was so excited to see this cover but I find it a bit disappointing. She doesn't look too good. I have no idea what's going on with that pose.

Given that we've seen Vogue covers go to people like Jessica Biel and Blake Lively (I don't mind either, but they're hardly iconic fashion presences) over the past few years I cannot for the life of me understand the cries of horror at Rihanna getting a cover. She is a young, relevant and fashion conscious star; exactly the sort of person I would expect to be on the cover of a major fashion magazine. If anything the shock is that it has taken Vogue so long to wake up and realize the potential of cover stars who aren't Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow or Jennifer Aniston. Perhaps the definition of mainstream has changed recently, but I can't honestly think of three women more mainstream than that.

This is a beautiful shot of a young woman who is completely relevant and has never had a cover. I see nothing trashy about her, nothing distasteful, or any of the other adjectives thrown around about her - if anything I'm happy to see Vogue embrace a young woman whose personal travails through issues of domestic violence were so prevalently featured in the media, who has risen above that and continued to make a name for herself.

I will complain about trashy anti-fashion celebrities being on the cover of Vogue during next month's issue : Charlie Sheen and his ~goddesses~ by Terry Richardson.

Given that we've seen Vogue covers go to people like Jessica Biel and Blake Lively (I don't mind either, but they're hardly iconic fashion presences) over the past few years I cannot for the life of me understand the cries of horror at Rihanna getting a cover. She is a young, relevant and fashion conscious star; exactly the sort of person I would expect to be on the cover of a major fashion magazine. If anything the shock is that it has taken Vogue so long to wake up and realize the potential of cover stars who aren't Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow or Jennifer Aniston. Perhaps the definition of mainstream has changed recently, but I can't honestly think of three women more mainstream than that.

This is a beautiful shot of a young woman who is completely relevant and has never had a cover. I see nothing trashy about her, nothing distasteful, or any of the other adjectives thrown around about her - if anything I'm happy to see Vogue embrace a young woman whose personal travails through issues of domestic violence were so prevalently featured in the media, who has risen above that and continued to make a name for herself.

I will complain about trashy anti-fashion celebrities being on the cover of Vogue during next month's issue : Charlie Sheen and his ~goddesses~ by Terry Richardson.

I'm sure Bazaar has this in the works already

I agree Luxx. I actually think Rihanna is a couple of years overdue for a cover and I don't even care for much of her music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bszzl
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->