US Vogue December 2006 : Nicole Kidman by Mario Testino

Discussion in 'Vintage Magazines' started by Tom Crooze, Nov 7, 2006.

1. kimair

kimair frozen

i agree that the caroline ed is beautiful...
    my issue is that they've overused her so much, that now when she's finally in a stunning ed that truly captures her beauty, i'm feeling a bit let-down because it's caroline trentini again...

2. iluvjeisa

iluvjeisa clever ain't wise

Yeah, at the same time I get the feeling that they're letting her radiate something else than "I'm a perfect mannequin" (which she is) this time around. I can't really remember when they last showed a editorial star who looked that vulnerable. It's been a while, well, except the Strokes of genius ed this spring, which was self explanatory :wink:

3. kluay

kluay New Member

Thanks so much:flower: I love Roger:blush:

#163 kluay, Nov 21, 2006
    Last edited by moderator hellothere: Nov 21, 2006
  4. Luxx

Luxx oh me, oh my

Ooh good point she has really gotten out of hand with her surgeries and facial altering. Its a pity given that she had at one point a very pure look. I have no problem with cosmetic surgery but I'd much rather see a face that looks a little lived in than a face that has been sandblasted into "perfection".

I found the European socialites article to be interesting though it seemed a bit more like a Brit or French Vogue profile given the names featured. I enjoy it a bit more when US Vogue sticks to profiling American socials. There is something a little more...industrious about the American social set. The lack of titles paired with the capricious structure of the US hierarchy creates an odd little atmosphere. One gets the feeling that with the right amount of charm and gusto anyone could supplant themselves within that world. The European set seems (and I could be quite off about this) a bit more archaic and subsequently anachronistic.

The Vogue article (written by Norwich who is a grand old fashioned snob and I mean that in the best possible way) was intriguing in the way that all profiles of privilege are, there was nothing new about it in terms of subject matter though Norwich is always fun to read. I quite got the feeling that the same exact article could have been written in the 1980s or even the 1920s only with different "Bright Young Things" featured. Every generation has its beautiful wealthy darlings who go to all the right parties. Such a thing is eternal, no? However, I didn't quite like the world of aristocracy is pitted against the world of celebrity. The fact that being a member of the social set in this day and age is tantamount to being a sort of celebrity is entirely overlooked.

I think this quote sums up the article:

"The welcome offered the social nouvelle is part of the European backlash against a kind of random celebrity worship that is considered at bit too American and generally not cool.

It strikes me as so odd though since the adoration of socialites couldn't be more representative of "random celebrity worship". What manner of fame is more random than that of a socialite? These girls (and boys) are essentially known for winning a genetic lottery wherein they are beautiful and blessed with notable names. And I'm not saying this as a diss to the socials featured as I find them quite elegant and glamourous but lets call a spade a spade. That slant of the article was contradictory and incongruous to say the least. The sentiment underlying the entire article was: Celebrities are rather crass but these people are sophisticated and chic, they are above it all! Love them long time!!

That said it is nice to see another option presented I to I'm tired of annoying Hollywood types in the front rows at fashion shows, dressing in head to toe designer labels pretending to be chic (there is a delicious swipe at Victoria Beckham and Katie Holmes within the article) but I don't know if this social set is much better in the long run. I am torn since I feel leery of celebrating people simply because they are born into fortunate situations but on the flip side I adore this sort of thing. Who doesn't love hearing about princesses and exquisite little darlings who romp around the globe wearing Lanvin? I couldn't say a bad thing about Charlotte Casiraghi if I tried, she's just perfect. Its a mysterious new world of celebrity especially for American audiences and I can see US Vogue delving into the territory much much deeper.

Speaking of privileged beauties beautifulboi, here is the brides article, they all look amazing.

[​IMG]

Image credit: My scanner

5. A.D.C.

A.D.C. Well-Known Member

good post luxx! I have to say I really enjoyed the article on the euro society swans much more than the one's on American socials. The girls profiled seem to be more happy-go-lucky than their American counterparts and less snobish. I like the fact that they don't really seem to try to be too princessy or regal their just themselves(like Sofia Coppola) and while sometimes they can come off a bit aloof, I guess it's to be expected under their circumstances but it not rude just inate. I especially love Charlotte and though not profiled Athena Onassis, I love that Charlotte comes off like such a modern princess, even though her mother opted not to actually give her the official title can anyone deny she's still one. Plus, I do think that them being European helps insulate them from the glaring and crass American celebrity culture, indeed those girls must turn their noses up at the Katie Holmes or Posh's of the world.

6. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Lux i love your comments and this one is very interesting specially the way you described Norwich.Except i wouldnt mean it in a nice way.:D
    I think the whole thing is bizzare and i dont even want to go into it but i just dont see why do they think they are bettre or above celebs.
    IMO they certainly arent quite the oppposite give me a spolied celeb over a spoiled socialite anytime!:rolleyes: :innocent:

7. Miss Dalloway

Lisa Airan looks so beautiful i am actually dissapointed they didnt feautured her in the mag.I thought she will get bigger article about her wedding!

8. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

I thought the wedding dresses were are terribly ugly.

As for the Euro society swans - *Yawn*. Girls with family money who don't work and that sums it up.

9. Miss Dalloway

^^WOW i think they are breath taking specially Lisas!

10. notmanons

notmanons New Member

Eww Nicole looks trashy, and that Versace dress...come on, couldn't they choose something classier and more suitable for Nicole?!?!?!?!

11. liberty33r1b

liberty33r1b Well-Known Member

the caroline editorial is really boring, i agree.

hope they will feature someone else next time....she is tiring. but pls not angela lindvall, she is tiring too....

#171 liberty33r1b, Nov 26, 2006
    Last edited by moderator : Nov 26, 2006
  12. liberty33r1b

tatiana santo domingo is not even native european (hence the name:(lol: :P

why did they feature her? just because of her boyfriend??

13. beautifulboi

beautifulboi New Member

Luxx thank you for the scan withe brides,I think they all look beautiful especially Lisa in her J. Mendel.

14. shoexgal

shoexgal New Member

Euro young'ins article- High expectations-> just as usual boring article
    Life with Andre runway review-semi-interesting we need more pictures though
    Letters to the editor, very nice-lots of scathing complaints
    nicole editorial-omg so looks so bad and also, I don't want to read that she is so in love with Keith Urban and things are so perfect when he is in rehab. I feel like I'm being lied to. I hate when stars do those kinds of interviews

15. liberty33r1b

^and the articles on them in vogue are always the same, too. how perfect and lovely their life is, how hard working they are, how impressive their acting is.....its just always the same blah blah blah. i stopped reading those a while ago.

16. justadreamer

justadreamer New Member

I absolutely love Nicole's shoot!!! :heart:

17. ShoeGal4Eva

ShoeGal4Eva New Member

really? i thought her hair color looked so drab in theshoot.
    overall,it was a big disappointment issue after the great cate issue

18. 1karina1

1karina1 Distract Me...

Here you are! :flower:
    Feature on Charlotte Casiraghi, Camilla Al-Fayed, Tatiana Santo Domingo, Olympia Scarry, Eugenie Niarchos, Petrina Khashoggi and Margherita Missoni (briefly:(

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

source: scanned by me

19. 1karina1

1karina1 Distract Me...

Feature on Helena Christensen

[​IMG][​IMG]

source: scanned by me

20. modelbehavior228

modelbehavior228 New Member

I didn't like it. It just wasn't that great. Nicole is one of those actresses that I ususally like on a cover, not this one. She looks a little bored, IMO.