US Vogue February 2013 : Rooney Mara by David Sims

Actually I was fairly surprised at the difference in models this issue. I mean Kasia doesn't really ever appear in us vogue. And also Jess hart isn't a regular

^ Kasia had appeared om US Vogue several times if I recall... and okay Jessica Hart but so what? There're too many "old girls", I am not saying that these girls aren't good but I am just tired of seeing the same ones again and again.

Every time I read through my US Vogue collections in recent two years, I get annoyed and have to skip all the editorials--the models they used are pretty much the same set of people. I am sorry but I am officially over US Vogue, until they bring some new ideas to this lifeless magazine. The articles are pretty nice though, just not the editorials.

Well tbh that probably won't happen until Wintour retires. I mean she's amazing at selling the business of Vogue but she's extremely lacking in anything creative nowadays

Am I the only one that is thinking about this, but I feel that the 'Storm Troupers' editorial is in bad taste. I love the photograph, but when you're trying to get across the kind of destruction that Sandy left behind, you don't juxtapose it with expensive clothes that people who've lost everything can't afford.

I wished they'd just highlighted and shot the men as they were, and not add the models, because the first thing I thought was about how beautiful the girls look, and not at the selflessness that these men and women have given to rebuild the community.

*Sorry about the double post, tried to edit my previous post but didn't do it in time*

Anyway, from my POV I guess it's debatable for those whose lives have been greatly impacted by the storm, but it is Vogue -a fashion magazine, not National Geographic. They are making it appeal to those who will be reading the magazine.

The cover's headline says "After the Storm: Celebrating the Spirit and Style of New York"; the pictures do this as effectively as a magazine based on fashion could without being 'unethical' or just flat out 'tasteless'. I understand the hurricane is not something to be taken 'lightly', but I don't think by making these pictures they have made light of the situation. And, I'd be interested to hear why someone would think an American fashion magazine using it as a premise of a story is 'wrong' or 'unethical' even if it is for the sake of sales-newspapers do it, as well as magazines that are based on world affairs. I think if you can say it's been done in bad taste or should be done in a different respect because it's in a fashion magazine, you may as well defy the magazine from even making a statement on something that is a part of the lives of many who will be reading it.

I think in a way, it's very American Vogue to do this, especially because the way it has been done. They're not depicting models in a reenactment of the devastation (like Vogue IT's July 2011 Oil Spill story)-they'd get major slack from the American public for that. They're showing the nation's troops and real heroes come to the aid of its own country. If anything, depicting a country in redemption after such a calamity is very patriotic, and American. In the end, I think it's something 'the people' (Americans and followers of the magazine) will like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one that is thinking about this, but I feel that the 'Storm Troupers' editorial is in bad taste. I love the photograph, but when you're trying to get across the kind of destruction that Sandy left behind, you don't juxtapose it with expensive clothes that people who've lost everything can't afford.

I wished they'd just highlighted and shot the men as they were, and not add the models, because the first thing I thought was about how beautiful the girls look, and not at the selflessness that these men and women have given to rebuild the community.

This was the first thing I thought of as well and I completely agree with you. I can imagine those affected by Sandy would be offended at these images, no matter how beautiful they may be.

Fashion and national tragedies should not cross - period.

Oooh...The Storm Troopers editorial seems a bit wrong. It sounds like the magazine was trying to praise and honor those who worked tirelessly during and after the storm but I'm not sure an editorial like this was the best way to go about it. Especially when you think about all the damage was done and lives that were changed. Having models in expensive clothing probably isn't the best way to praise these workers and volunteers. Personally, I would rather read an insightful article on how people helped out or one about the fundraiser which Vogue held. Hopefully, they include an article about Hurricane Sandy so it's not just an editorial.

I actually get the point that they're trying to get across, which was to highlight the men and women that came to the aid of the people who were affected by Sandy. I just thought, in my opinion, that a stoic photograph would have sufficed. Different people react differently I suppose, as almost everyone was talking about how Kasia and Chanel looked great and everything...

From my point of view, my first thought was that it baffled me as to how gorgeous clothes in such editorial bring any meaning to the intention of the subject. I don't think anyone would want to suppress press freedom. By all means, I think Sandy brought about a great deal of destruction, and continued press coverage would mean people are still made aware that the destruction is still there, that it doesn't just take a week to rebuild their lives back together. It was a blunder, in my opinion, to include the models, as there really isn't a connection between them and Sandy's destruction, unless you count that one headline where they are "Celebrating The Spirit And Style Of New York." When you're in such a disaster, I would think the last thing you'd be worried about is your style.

Most of the time I'm never impressed when it comes down to US Vogue but this time I must say I am indeed impressed, though not in a good way. Lol what just happened? Not only the cover is a major mess (and that's saying something) but the cover story (?) is incredibly boring, and on top of that, a Hurrican Sandy themed editorial... I'm not feeling it. Kasia is killing it tho.

Hoping for a cool editorial to save this issue.

I was really hoping that Rooney's cover would be smashing, but it's not very good. I appreciate her expression but the clothing is distracting. Actually, the text is more distracting than the styling. It's just so tacky and 90s feeling.

Kasia looks like she's successfully riding the boat ride in that preview. Chanel and Karlie both look angelic and very American which suits the editorial.

Fantastic previews, i love every single shot, which is great after such unattractive cover.

Model: Liu Wen
Ph. Patrick Demarchelier
Stylist: Phyllis Posnick

Facebook/Liu Wen

Editorial HQ:

Storm Troupers
Photographer: Annie Leibovitz
Models: Karlie Kloss, Kasia Struss, Arizona Muse, Liu Wen, Joan Smalls & Chanel Iman
Styling: Tonne Goodman
Hair: Julien D'Ys
Make-Up: Stéphane Marais
Nails: Megumi Yamamoto

Digital Edition Vogue US 02/2013

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68