US Vogue February 2022 : HoYeon Jung by Harley Weir

Congratulations. Now Vogue US has reached the levels of Vogue Korea 2017. Why even bother with the location or any effort in directing the model, right?

I can't with this. This would be good for some, I don't know, Vogue Portugal random unimportant month, but Vogue US? I know you have to close the Asian representation quota so the Twitter won't cancel you once again, but at least make an effort.

A refreshing choice of cover star, but this new typography treatment is dreadful - it's too thick and why is the tracking so wide? It looks like a supplement, but then again it's probably as thin as one! The cover would have been great with a location background and a better layout.

The inside shots are gorgeous though! Some really stunning images in the editorial, makes me wish they'd picked something else for the cover, it definitely doesn't sell how beautiful the other pictures are.

I hate the layout, it's too heavy for the cover, and the way her hair covered her eyes.

But the editorial is good, finally something different for Vogue US, and surprising good from Harley Weir, whose works I rarely like.

WOW!

Literally the first cover of the US Vogue in a veeery looong time that I (really) like. :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
As per usual, just about every single shot in the editorial is much better than the cover, but I get it, Vogue US has extremely tight guidelines when it comes to covers. So, I guess, it's just Harley Weir not being good under strict rules.

However, the editorial is too artistic for me, taking into account this is Vogue US. I don't need another indie-ish artsy-fartsy effort a la any Asian or Central/Eastern European edition. With Vogue US I expect simple glamour, graphic shots, and, usually, lots of retouching. Give me that, please, I am getting tired of everyone and their dog trying to be "artistic" like it could be done properly every month (kudos for trying, but concepts and art aren't McDonalds).

Globalization is good, Vogue is getting glocal, we get it. However, this unified look is becoming very annoying and they should stop erasing identity and any cultural aspect. Yes, I want Vogue France to be sl*tty and sexy, Vogue Italia over the top, Vogue US bland and glamorous, Vogue Russia - opulent, and Vogue Brazil - sun-kissed and sexy, and so on.

Hoyeon! :heart: I'm so happy for her. I'll definitely buy a copy of this
With that being said, the spacing of cover blurbs bothers me. This is not a spectacular cover, but their cover star saved them.

Loving the cover subject, but hate the font :( and the hair

WOW... I'm impressed, a great improvement for Vogue US!

I appreciate the effort and I quite like the editorial, but I just can't connect it to American Vogue. It feels so out of place and is too inconsistent with the rest of this edition's output. Last month looked nothing like this and the next month probably won't either because this isn't what American Vogue is about. If they were to swiftly change their direction towards this type of imagery I would be all here for it, but this sudden switch makes it seem like they published a reject from Vogue Taiwan - an uptight conservative aunt trying to play the fun aunt. It doesn't work.

And I don't like the cover at all. I hated the foil type of background when Tyler Mitchell did it with Zendaya and I hate it here. Maybe if the layout was different... I don't know. But still, appreciate the effort.

Absolutey love the editorial. The cover could've been better.

I like it, but i prefer Vogue Korea's approach

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greta0314
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->