US Vogue June 2012 : Hope Solo, Ryan Lochte & Serena Williams by Annie Leibovitz

That's a nice Vogue US cover. I'd find it pretty lame for any other magazine but it works for them. It's very sunny, dynamic and healthy; and makes you want to run to the beach!

I'm quite happy they picked Lochte over Phelps. Way more handsome :ninja:

I wonder how this will sell though...

LOL, how did they get Karlie on that basketball hoop?

I hate it, Vogue is not Sport´s Illustrated... and put monstrous Serena on the cover is just.........

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the shot of Karlie in the hoop. She makes it look like the most natural thing in the world.

What a dreadful cover (even worse from Adele's one)

Is Vogue revamping the layout or this is a special occasion?

i think the cover works, and it's pretty unique tbh. however the editorial lineup looks very boring; karlie kloss' editorial was rather awkward and i'm hoping joan small's editorial won't be awkward too.

well,i don't mind the concept since this is a big year for sport and vogue often does special features during olympic years. the cover though looks surprisingly bland for annie leibovitz,who does probably the best group shots of any photog. it really does look like a bad sports illustrated cover.

i dunno about serena though...on the one hand i get it because she's still america's top-ranked female player but on the other hand there are other athletes in this country that could have done a great cover like dara torres who's making her return to the pool at 45 years old. to me that would have been far more fresher than serena. it's been done to death already.

I hate it, Vogue is not Sport´s Illustrated... and put monstrous Serena on the cover is just.........

No need to body snark about Serena. She's an athlete, not a model, so why should she be a twig? Then she wouldn't be able to play tennis nearly half as well as she does. Personally, I love that Vogue put athletes on the cover, it's a nice change from all the celebrities. There is something glamourous and powerful about athletes... so to me this cover really works and still fits in with the idea of Vogue.

^^I think it has more to do with face recognition, Serena is quite famous outside the sport isn´t she?

About Serena´s body, they photoshoped her to make her slimmer yet people would make comments as if she was a model...

Yes she is, she and her sister were the first colored people after the "white" generation of Hingis, Davenport, Seles, Capriati that won a lot of grandslam en dominate the tennisworld.. Serina is by far the most succesfull tennis player of her generation. She won every glamslam AND two olympic golden medals (2000 en in 2008). Besides she got many sponsors, so i guess almost everyone know her face.
I'm really glad she got on the cover! If someone can win gold with tennis for usa, it will be Serena.

I don't think the casting is bad (as a non-American I have no idea who Hope or Ryan are though) but the execution is pretty awful. They went completely safe and obvious..

I really like the idea of having Athletes take up the majority of the issue. It`s their time to shine and they deserve it more than Arizona, Karlie ++ (well maybe just for this month or months to come)

Disagree with this.. how do athletes deserve editorial more than models who do this for their career? I don't mind either way whether athletes are in the issue but I hardly think Anna included them because they deserve it more, in fact I think it's because they will sell more copies :innocent:

geez, whenever I read Serena in the thread, I think of Blake Lively ! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->