US Vogue June/July 2020 by Irving Penn

Does anyone know how many pages are there? Have the subscribers received their issue at all yet?
And to confirm, the selfie (or whatever it is) mess is the only "editorial" in the issue?

The digital issue is out. 124 Pages and no other editorial except the main one. And it's spread throughout the entire issue with ads and snippets in between. Imo the worst issue in American Vogue's entire history!

The digital issue is out. 124 Pages and no other editorial except the main one. And it's spread throughout the entire issue with ads and snippets in between. Imo the worst issue in American Vogue's entire history!
Can u post the editors letter and the masthead?

Must have this at all cost

So Mark is already in the masthead. Yeah, this type of home editorial is a think he will do.

^Not quite sure what else you were expecting considering the global pandemic? I feel like both the cover and this combined issue are perfectly adequate considering the current situation, and feel like Anna Wintour has been extremely attentive, considerate and sympathetic when addressing Vogue readers.

I wonder if this will make it overseas in a physical format. Vogue Italia did but I guess that’s a bit less of an issue and came much earlier in the situation. Has anyone seen it physically yet or just digitally?

Irving Penn will always be a yes to me. I'd like the cover more if it didn't feel so much like I'd seen it before — ironic given the emphasis on creativity. The editorials were mainly hit and miss, and by that I mean 90% of photos were forgettable, 5% were notably bad, and the other 5% I liked. Some of those art/photography ones were pleasant, and Caroline and Imaan SERVED! Wish they'd been more selective and not just posted seemingly every photo of a pretty girl with her dog in her garden as it appears they did. Also laughing at KJ's suddenly piqued interest in art. SO embarrassing.

Also, so short? I'm not expecting any massive editorials or travel diaries or anything, but at least pull from the archives! They could rerun the Meisel ed from ten years ago for all I care, would be more interesting.

My guess is a lot of advertisers pulled their ads and they were caught flat footed.

My guess is a lot of advertisers pulled their ads and they were caught flat footed.

Certainly looks it! Mere six pages of ads before the issue starts with Anna's letter. And there's no table of contents because, well, there's not much in the way of content to advertise. I know June is a thin issue, but this is incredibly thin. Especially considering it's a dual month issue.

It probably contains the same amount of content as the issue of French Elle I'm about to read, which - as far as I'm aware - has continued to come out every week.

Speaking of Nostalgia, what happened to that feature?
The most "real" thing about this magazine.

That Penn cover is a major let down. I have admired Penn's work for going on 30 years. Some TFS members, Penn admirers for even longer. I am certain Penn would not have approved that particular image. There is zero life. Congratulations VOGUE, for selecting quite possibly the blandest Penn image I've ever laid eyes on. Take a look through the glorious Penn imagery on the VOGUE archives.

The editorial team couldn't come up with a more compelling concept, coverline or layout? Again look through VOGUE's incredible published archives. Not to mention the possibility of unpublished outtakes.

No attempt was made to make this relevant to our current crisis other than yeah it's a recurring archive theme serving as a commemorative rose. Whoop dee doo.

Why not call on the immensely talented list of LIVING Vogue lifestyle, still life photogs, past and present, to photograph FRESH flowers from their own gardens? Oberto Gili, Francois Halard, Eric Boman, Raymond Meier, Richard Burbridge, Steven Klein even.

Plus the countless studio-based veteran VOGUE photogs: Roger Cabello, Martin Mistretta, Jeff Harris, David Cook, Eric Huang, Christopher Coppola, Lucas Visser...

For every VOGUE milestone this edition continues to disappoint!

This issue is quite cute actually.. if only they didn’t post 90% of the content to their website 3 weeks before the issue launch. I don’t get why they do that and why they treat their printed product as an after thought? Basically they just put their website content on paper? It lacks exclusivity one expect from buying a printed product.

Having seen almost all the contents on their website, i dont see the point of buying this issue unless they want to keep it as relics or document of the times.

Sounds alarmingly short. And the lack of ads is also very concerning. The only thing that's somewhat comforting is, if print can survive COVID-19, I don't see why they can't survive in the future.

Sounds alarmingly short. And the lack of ads is also very concerning. The only thing that's somewhat comforting is, if print can survive COVID-19, I don't see why they can't survive in the future.
Print is on its way out though, I can see it ending all together in two or three generations unless the younger generations somehow embrace it all over again,

^^^ It would evolve rather than end altogether? Much like the way that paintings have remained after the accessibility of photography and the way that theatre is still prosperous after the commercialization of filmmaking. What will be forced out soon with magazines is the outdated concept of 12-issues yearly: That’s just pure greed desperately leeching onto its last breath by the publishers. And good riddance.

Speaking of Nostalgia, what happened to that feature?
The most "real" thing about this magazine.

That Penn cover is a major let down. I have admired Penn's work for going on 30 years. Some TFS members, Penn admirers for even longer. I am certain Penn would not have approved that particular image. There is zero life. Congratulations VOGUE, for selecting quite possibly the blandest Penn image I've ever laid eyes on. Take a look through the glorious Penn imagery on the VOGUE archives.

The editorial team couldn't come up with a more compelling concept, coverline or layout? Again look through VOGUE's incredible published archives. Not to mention the possibility of unpublished outtakes.

No attempt was made to make this relevant to our current crisis other than yeah it's a recurring archive theme serving as a commemorative rose. Whoop dee doo.

Why not call on the immensely talented list of LIVING Vogue lifestyle, still life photogs, past and present, to photograph FRESH flowers from their own gardens? Oberto Gili, Francois Halard, Eric Boman, Raymond Meier, Richard Burbridge, Steven Klein even.

Plus the countless studio-based veteran VOGUE photogs: Roger Cabello, Martin Mistretta, Jeff Harris, David Cook, Eric Huang, Christopher Coppola, Lucas Visser...

For every VOGUE milestone this edition continues to disappoint!

I agree with all your points, of course.

And Anna likely does also. But she is also the most strategically pragmatic and shrewd of any editor out there and only thinks in terms of optimizing her brand’s profile and profits. And this singular image of a rose is such a predictably safe symbol of a solemn honour— whether it’s to commemorate the Vets, someone you love, or Diana… The masses will immediately understand this image. And her Vogue is hugely democratized for the masses, it’s not for the deeply fashion faithful— hence foregoing any archive shots that would definitely enhance the “fashion” aspect of any Vogue. She likely also understands that the masses don’t care/don’t know how rich archival supplements can enhance a fashion publication, so why put in the extra effort when the minimal would suffice? (Unlike Emmanuelle’s Vogue, of which there is a consistency when it comes to iconic archival imagery. And what gives VP such a strong individuality with history.)

Don’t look to American Vogue for the remotest vital signs of creative thoughtfulness in 2020, you’ll always be disappointed. (So thank goodness Emmanuelle’s Vogue still exists for that great escapes in these dire days. …It’s not the greatest— but when compared to other Vogues these days, it absolutely feels like the spirit of Parisian HF is alive and kicking with VP.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vvmuzse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->